PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think Matt Roth would be a solid signing for the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Roth to New England

No Free Agent can go ANYWHERE right now. They're ALL in limbo.

PFW in Progress were talking about this earlier!

But they did say he had short arms :)

I believe they call em 'T-rex' arms. LOL.
Well the size is there at 6-4 275.
But who knows if BB even likes him.
Then of course there's always the question of money.
And before that of course is the stupid LOCKOUT preventing anything from happening.

Only dooshes rate their own thread.

Roth can be a good situational pass rusher. I prefer Kinwanuka or possibly Manny Lawson, but those guys will cost significantly more. Roth can be a low risk, high payoff type of player. He was a very good pass rusher down in Miami who just ran a foul of the coaching staff after Saban left.

Yeah, 30 7/8 inches. For comparison, Cunningham's are 33 3/4, and Aldon Smith's are 35 3/8. :eek:

Yeah, 30 7/8 inches. For comparison, Cunningham's are 33 3/4, and Aldon Smith's are 35 3/8. :eek:

Ever hear it isn't the size it is what you do with it?

a big meh......a total liability if he isn't getting after the QB, and his success in getting to the QB (or lack of) makes him not worth it

Roth was a solid player in Saban's defense in Miami before he threw his hissy fit. He was a solid player in Mangini's defense in Cleveland. All indications would lead me to believe he could come in and be a solid player here.

Roth is no star, he's an average starter on a 3-4 line. Roth won't solve the pass rush problem, but he'll improve the overall depth. I'd see him as a slight improvement over Ninkovich, a little better at getting after the QB, a little better holding up against the run. He'd be an instant improvement over TBC. The upward shift in OLB depth would make the entire defense...a tad better.

Still, better is better.

Roth was a solid player in Saban's defense in Miami before he threw his hissy fit. He was a solid player in Mangini's defense in Cleveland. All indications would lead me to believe he could come in and be a solid player here.

Roth is no star, he's an average starter on a 3-4 line. Roth won't solve the pass rush problem, but he'll improve the overall depth. I'd see him as a slight improvement over Ninkovich, a little better at getting after the QB, a little better holding up against the run. He'd be an instant improvement over TBC. The upward shift in OLB depth would make the entire defense...a tad better.

Still, better is better.
I have to be honest and qualify that I don't know much about Roth. That said most of the reading I've done recently says he'll be a reliable albeit unspectacular addition to the Patriots defense. We all know that is what's needed and I'm fine with that. Improvement is improvement.

All of that aside Sidney Rice is the FA acquisition that really excites me. I'd love to see him on the Patriots with Brady passing lasers his way.

Last edited:
the problem with rice is he's overexposed.

I wouldn't complain if they sign the guy, but seriously -- how much money do you think he's looking for?
I don't see it happening.

I wouldn't complain if they sign the guy, but seriously -- how much money do you think he's looking for?
99% of suggestions don't see the light of day with the Patriots. That doesn't mean they can't be discussed. As for his salary, who knows with any players these days. Motivated by money or championships is the question.

NFL.com news: Free-agent crop might be weak but still offers potential fits

I think Matt Roth would be a solid signing for the Patriots, he's proved he can stand up in a 3-4 in Cleveland and is a better pass rusher than anybody on the Patriots right now plus he's still only 28 years old.

Matt Roth has averaged 3.5 sacks per over his 6 year NFL career. In 2008 he had his career high in sacks with 5.0. When an injured Tully Banta Cain's sacks dropped from 10.0 last season to 5.0 this season, everyone was furious. Well apparently TBC's bad year in sacks equaled Roth's best year.

Last edited:
All of that aside Sidney Rice is the FA acquisition that really excites me. I'd love to see him on the Patriots with Brady passing lasers his way.

Couldn't agree more....Moss' record would quickly be broken :D

What do you mean overexposed? When he was healthy and Favre was on fire he made some sick plays and had a really good year. He's only 24. He'd be an instant upgrade over anybody we have on the outside.

Can the Vikings with their rookie QB really afford to let a weapon like that just walk away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back