PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think Maroney will be splitting time with Morris/Faulk more than expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear New Troll
Thanks for your opinion of it being a ridiculous situation by your opinion in your first post...now go back to under the bridge that you came up from :bricks: .

I don't know why you'd consider Nordy's post a troll post. I couldn't agree more with him. While I concede that Belichick will want to keep Maroney "fresh" - I mean, is that really in dispute by ANYONE? - I think it's asinine to think that Maroney's only going to see slightly more action than he did last year.

Maroney was drafted to be THE GUY at RB, and that's precisely what he's going to be. If Morris, Evans, Faulk, et al contribute more than expected (and it's not due to injury) - GREAT. But the idea that Maroney is going to be held back, due to his shoulder or anything else, is BASELESS.

Last edited:
I see no reason to believe that the yardage of Faulk and Evans would increase in 2007. I'd then give the yards to Morris, giving us 1800 yards disttributed as follows:

Maroney 1100
Morris 460
Evans 117
Faulk 123

I agree that this is conservative, since I expect many more running yards in 2007 than in 2006. The offense will be much more potent.

I thought I might agree until I read your post, to which I say "not THAT much of a split!" Also, this isn't about Morris so much as having 4 good weapons at RB.

I think Maroney WILL get closer to 17-18 carries a game though, not the 22-25 that some are projecting. But you really can spread out the rest quite nicely. Here might be the season average carries per game:

Maroney 18
Morris 6
Evans 3
Faulk 2 (will get more touches though, but screens, outlet recs etc.)

That's 29 carries, which is about perfect in a 60 plays per game average (there will be a few QB sneaks and scrambles to make it 30+ runs total).

Over 2007 I would project conservatively to:
Maroney 270 for 1100 yards
Morris 110 for 400 yards
Evans 35 for 160 yards
Faulk 25 for 140 yards
Projected Total: 440 for 1800 yards

(Above assumes some games missed by some RBs)

Compare to 2006 (excluding QB and spot carries)
Dillon 199 for 812
Maroney 175 for 745
Evans 27 for 117
Faulk 25 for 123
2006 Total: 426 for 1797

Compare to (excluding QB and spot carries):
2005 Total: 365 for 1315
2004 Total: 460 for 2081

Your mileage may vary. But it's bracketed pretty well comparatively, both by player history and team history.

Morris is going to be twice the contributor Patrick Pass typically was, which means less carries needed for Maroney for the team to still get to 1800 total rush yards. If Evans or Maroney up their YPA, 2000+ total rush yards could be in reach. If injury or other strikes, closer to 1500, but still good.

I'm sorry. You're right. We drafted Maroney in the first round because he can't be a feature back and we want him to split carries with a career back-up like Sammy Morris. Yeah Morris will spell Maroney at times, but to think that Morris is going to be right behind Maroney as far as carries and yards go IS ridiculous. If Belichick and Pioli didn't think Maroney can be a feature back then they wouldn't have drafted him in the first. And if Morris is being used almost 50/50 with Maroney, that's a BAD thing.

Couldn't agree more. The initial post that started this thread sounds more troll-like than Nordy's, 'though I think it's not ACTUALLY A troll, just a misguided poster.

IMO Seeing Heath on the field this year will be somewhat of a rarity and will usually mean one of two things..QUOTE]

I don't disagree that Evans will likely get fewer carries, but isn't he the only FB? Who else will be out there in 2 back sets.

No one. I believe that Sam Gash once made it the probowl with exactly zero carries for the year. Fullbacks do NOT need to carry the ball.

IMO Seeing Heath on the field this year will be somewhat of a rarity and will usually mean one of two things..QUOTE]

I don't disagree that Evans will likely get fewer carries, but isn't he the only FB? Who else will be out there in 2 back sets.

I get a general feeling that many in this thread are having a practically hyperventilating reaction to Morris having done a good job in ONE pre-season game on Friday night. Am I glad he ran well? Of course. But Maroney is a SPECIAL player. Morris is, AT BEST, a JAG-plus - and over his career so far he hasn't really even been that. He's been a JAG, period.

Is this system/situation going to boost him to JAG-plus? Sure, maybe. But he is not even in Maroney's LEAGUE. He'll spell him on occasion, add to that some short yardage carries, and he'll spell Faulk on occasion, and he'll steal carries that Evans might otherwise have gotten. But LoMo is THE MAN and people getting all freaky on Sammy Morris need to take a step back, IMO, and realize what he is, and what he is not. And he is NOT even in the ballpark of Laurence Maroney's skill and talent level - and therefore, sure as hell better not be seeing as much of that time as you're apparently, randomly hoping he will.

Last edited:
I get a general feeling that many in this thread are having a practically hyperventilating reaction to Morris having done a good job in ONE pre-season game on Friday night. Am I glad he ran well? Of course. But Maroney is a SPECIAL player. Morris is, AT BEST, a JAG-plus - and over his career so far he hasn't really even been that. He's been a JAG, period.

Is this system/situation going to boost him to JAG-plus? Sure, maybe. But he is not even in Maroney's LEAGUE. He'll spell him on occasion, add to that some short yardage carries, and he'll spell Faulk on occasion, and he'll steal carries that Evans might otherwise have gotten. But LoMo is THE MAN and people getting all freaky on Sammy Morris need to take a step back, IMO, and realize what he is, and what he is not. And he is NOT even in the ballpark of Laurence Maroney's skill and talent level - and therefore, sure as hell better not be seeing as much of that time as you're apparently, randomly hoping he will.
Morris has always done well were ever he's been. And hes always been behind a very good back T. Henry, R.Brown,R. Wiiliams,and now LoMo. I think he is better than just average a B/B- back and that he will effectively spell Maroney. Quite often. IMO

Last edited:
Morris has always done well were ever he's been. And hes always been behind a very good back T. Henry, R.Brown,R. Wiiliams,and now LoMo. I think he is better than just average a B/B- back and that he will effectively spell Maroney. Quite often. IMO

Fair enough. Not sure I've seen him as talented as it sounds like you do, but of course you KNOW I hope all of you are right!

Fair enough. Not sure I've seen him as talented as it sounds like you do, but of course you KNOW I hope all of you are right!

I went to the game at Miami last year and Morris sure looked good in that game against a pretty good run D.

One other thing he does have a carrier avg. of almost 4.0 yrd's a carry.

Last edited:
Don't ever talk like that about Maroney ever again. He is the epitome of TIGHTNESS and will prove you and everyone else wrong that he can carry a full load. If Frank Gore can do it with two new knees, why can't Maroney do the same? Maroney has more talent in every catagory you can think of over Gore and he ran for 1,600 yards last season. However, I think Morris was a great pickup, but Maroney is a future stud. Starting week 1, Maroney will EXPLODE!

Gore carried the ball 71% of SF's run plays. LT about 66%. I think Marooney will be about 60-65% if all the Pats RB's stay healthy

Its good to have some confidence in our young RB but you make it sound as if Maroney is heading into the Hall Of Fame already.

Take a chill on Maroney being the future all-star until we see him carry a bigger burden on his shoulders a whole season and puts a halt on the indecisions at times that he has shown in the backfield before going for a hole/gap at the LOS.

Geeshhhh Is EVERY young talented Patriots top draft pick going to be an all-pro HOFer? NO - Some will end up like Seymour in there,Many won't.

Sometimes it takes several years to know if a guy is going to be a one year wonder or a bust but the way I look at what you think of LoMo you are ready to put him in Canton..I hope it ends up true but I want to see more before I can say he is the long term answer for our RB position.

If he produces this year with big numbers and plays great you might have a good argument,Until then lets leave Maroney as a good prospective possible future great RB but NOTHING is in stone yet,Right now he is our MAIN RB who had a nice but with the injury last year it was a decent but inconsistent start to his career,so far its really nothing more than that right now IMO.

Lets also see a complete injury season this year which would be nice and help your Maroney argument.

I am a bit unsure what type of future he holds here as its only his second campaign,I am holding my opinion till a bit longer before I annoint him the next all-pro and best of all time NE RB.

Unfortunately because of last years injury which slowed him down towards the end of the season we will never know how he actually stood up in terms of rookie season against the likes of Addai,Jones-Drew and Bush.

This year hopefully provides a bit more of the answer I wonder about which of course may not be known for several more years and that question is....From the class of 2006 Is Maroney going to have a better career than Addai and Jones-Drew and Bush?

I am not ready to jump on the Maroney future star RB club just yet,give it time.

Last edited:
Don't ever talk like that about Maroney ever again. He is the epitome of TIGHTNESS and will prove you and everyone else wrong that he can carry a full load. If Frank Gore can do it with two new knees, why can't Maroney do the same? Maroney has more talent in every catagory you can think of over Gore and he ran for 1,600 yards last season. However, I think Morris was a great pickup, but Maroney is a future stud. Starting week 1, Maroney will EXPLODE!

Another guy who I hope is right for now and in the future about LoMo but I am keeping my opinion at bay until I see what you expect of him.

Its good to have some confidence in our young RB but you make it sound as if Maroney is heading into the Hall Of Fame already.

Take a chill on Maroney being the future all-star until we see him carry a bigger burden on his shoulders a whole season and puts a halt on the indecisions at times that he has shown in the backfield before going for a hole/gap at the LOS.

Geeshhhh Is EVERY young talented Patriots top draft pick going to be an all-pro HOFer? NO - Some will end up like Seymour in there,Many won't.

Sometimes it takes several years to know if a guy is going to be a one year wonder or a bust but the way I look at what you think of LoMo you are ready to put him in Canton..I hope it ends up true but I want to see more before I can say he is the long term answer for our RB position.

If he produces this year with big numbers and plays great you might have a good argument,Until then lets leave Maroney as a good prospective possible future great RB but NOTHING is in stone yet,Right now he is our MAIN RB who had a nice but with the injury last year it was a decent but inconsistent start to his career,so far its really nothing more than that right now IMO.

Lets also see a complete injury season this year which would be nice and help your Maroney argument.

I am a bit unsure what type of future he holds here as its only his second campaign,I am holding my opinion till a bit longer before I annoint him the next all-pro and best of all time NE RB.

Unfortunately because of last years injury which slowed him down towards the end of the season we will never know how he actually stood up in terms of rookie season against the likes of Addai,Jones-Drew and Bush.

This year hopefully provides a bit more of the answer I wonder about which of course may not be known for several more years and that question is....From the class of 2006 Is Maroney going to have a better career than Addai and Jones-Drew and Bush?

I am not ready to jump on the Maroney future star RB club just yet,give it time.

Dear total, complete and utter LUNATIC of a poster...

In what WORLD did I even mention - let alone assert - the possibility that Maroney is or will be in the Hall of Fame? You quoted my post, wherein I said that he was a "special player" and that he was brought in to be "the guy" - as in, THE STARTER, unquestioned #1 RB. In fact, the vast majority of that particular post you've quoted (but apparently not yet read), is about Morris being a JAG-plus and not about Maroney being a "future all star" or "heading into the hall of fame already."

I am right, and you, my friend, are deeply wrong and have veered off into some kind of lunatic fringe crazy-man world. Try reading my post next time. And best of luck in the future with the Alzheimer's-induced drooling. Good LORD. I don't even know how to react to this drivel. Maybe just simple iteration:

READ, please.

Last edited:
Dear total, complete and utter LUNATIC of a poster...

In what WORLD did I even mention - let alone assert - the possibility that Maroney is or will be in the Hall of Fame? You quoted my post, wherein I said that he was a "special player" and that he was brought in to be "the guy" - as in, THE STARTER, unquestioned #1 RB. In fact, the vast majority of that particular post you've quoted (but apparently not yet read), is about Morris being a JAG-plus and not about Maroney being a "future all star" or "heading into the hall of fame already."

I am right, and you, my friend, are deeply wrong and have veered off into some kind of lunatic fringe crazy-man world. Try reading my post next time. And best of luck in the future with the Alzheimer's-induced drooling. Good LORD. I don't even know how to react to this drivel. Maybe just simple iteration:

READ, please.

To summarize it patsox23,all I am saying in general in reference to the original post is that you need to relax a bit and see if Maroney is going to be the guy you expect him to be and expect more of Maroney this year of course but not as much as many of you think and of course that IS IMHO.

Yes Maroney WILL get more carries than any other running back on this team and thats a given,but I think the time split between Maroney and the other guys (Morris in general) is going to be a bit more split than many on here think - Some in here I am sure think he will carry it 25 or more every game,not likely and of course it depends on whether we are way behind or ahead on the scoreboard or injuries to any backs including Maroney ect:.

Remember the part where you say Maroney is a SPECIAL player? - What do you base that on? - A part of a rookie season that was decent to good and then injury MAY have affected his performance on the other half? - Nothing SPECIAL about that to me -
A SPECIAL player to me is a guy like Tomlinson who has proven himself-its too early too say LoMo is a SPECIAL player,What your version of SPECIAL is I do not understand,LoMo is our #1 Back,How that means he is 'SPECIAL' is beyond me.

You say because Morris had a decent game we should not get too excited but because half of Lomo's rookie season was good he is already a 'SPECIAL' player?

And thanks for the good wishes on my lunatic behavior,I am seeing my Psychiatrist tomorrow ;)

Last edited:
I expect Maroney obviously to see more action than last year when Dillon was here but I may be only one of a few or less on here that thinks BB will be using Morris in split time much more often than people think.

Its a known fact that BB absolutely loves Sammy Morris (In a player-love way of course:p ) and did what it took to get him here,I do not think Morris will be in for just a few plays and I would not be surprised at many a game to see him in about 1/2 of the game as Maroney will be in and of course with Faulk and Evans in the mix as well depending on situations and formation calls.

I just don't see BB taking a chance on using Maroney as a full time heavy carrier and will split duties more often than many think.

Maroney's shoulder may be a factor as well as to why BB brought Morris to help in keeping that shoulder fresh and avoiding reinjury and I truly expect this is what we will see in 2007 with what many of you called a 2 headed monster attack of course without the bulldozer Corey was.

I just don't see Maroney carrying heavy loads like some here do.

Like I have said somewhat earlier in the preseason I see Maroney with about 950-1,100 Yards if he stays healthy and Morris with 2nd highest rushing on the team with about 750-800 yards or so - I think it will be that close.

Your thoughts?

I agree with you a 100%. I see Maroney and Moriis pretty much doing a split time thing, with Maroney getting slightly more touches. Faulk will have his usual situational touches. Faulk is is going to have an awesome season, I see him doing great things. My favorite Pats play is the RB screen to Faulk, they execute it the best.

IMO Maroney will run for 1500 yards this season. He is headed to the pro bowl, and will join the honor roll of elite rbs in the NFL.

Last edited:
Remember the part where you say Maroney is a SPECIAL player? - What do you base that on? - A part of a rookie season that was decent to good and then injury MAY have affected his performance on the other half? - Nothing SPECIAL about that to me -
A SPECIAL player to me is a guy like Tomlinson who has proven himself-its too early too say LoMo is a SPECIAL player,What your version of SPECIAL is I do not understand,LoMo is our #1 Back,How that means he is 'SPECIAL' is beyond me.

Ohhhhhh....I see - "special" is only for a guy like LaDainian Tomlinson? Who knew?! So that's the ONLY level - certain uber Hall of Famer - that defines "special?" Got it. And by the way, do I "remember the part where I say Maroney is SPECIAL?" Um...YEAH. Ya know how you can tell? BECAUSE I POSTED IT IN THE THING YOU'RE FRIGGIN' RESPONDING TO.

Try again.

I see Maroney and Moriis pretty much doing a split time thing, with Maroney getting slightly more touches. Faulk will have his usual situational touches.

LOL. Kiss of death, frankiesfly's approval. Thanks for playing, Patriot64! THAT is your position, congrats: Maroney and Morris "doing a split-time thing, with Maroney getting slightly more touches."

Please, please one of you make me a bet. I'll bet you 5 trillion dollars that this will NOT be the case, barring injury to Maroney. Come on, fellas - it's money-where-your-mouth-is time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots