PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think Goodell approved leaking the fake report to Mortensen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We know Kensil was behind this, but he reports to Goodell. The fact that Pash stonewalled the Patriots for all of that time, which we now know through the email exchange, is very telling. Who do you think his orders came from? Definitely not from Kensil; it must have been Goodell who refused to acknowledge the actual numbers.

Here is the gist of what I think happened.

I think the league truly, 100% believed the Patriots deflated the footballs, which was confirmed by Adam Schefter early on, and during the first few days of the investigation, they realized the Patriots were not just going to "come clean." I think this infuriated Goodell and his henchmen, who are extremely arrogant and power hungry, that the Patriots were "lying" to them. I believe Goodell/Kensil likely thought if they leaked false information about the balls, it would build such a huge public outcry against the Patriots and also cause Brady and the ball boys to take their only option and acknowledge guilt. In fact, mostly this plan worked, except that the Patriots did not deflate the balls, now proven by the ideal gas law, and therefore there was no confession. The league also thought they would find a "smoking gun" somehow, somewhere, and at that point, whatever misinformation and lies were spread, would all become a moot point lost in the scandal. They didn't think they would ever even have to release the ball pressure numbers since the Patriots would be found guilty anyway. When they realized this wasn't happening either, I think the league panicked, because now if the Patriots are innocent, they have some major explaining to do about the Mortensen report. At this point, I think Goodell realized that his only option was to fry the Patriots no matter what, whatever it took, including cooking the case against them, media leaks, misinformation, and Ted Wells. By frying the Patriots, Kraft, and Brady with a strong, irrefutable case, he believed he Patriots would be powerless in the court of law and public opinion.

I'm quite sure Goodell loses sleep at night thinking about what would happen should an independent investigator look into the inner workings during this investigation and how far the league "played chicken" with the Patriots, making a mockery of ethics in their certainty the Patriots did something wrong and they would prove it. At the very least, there must certainly be text messages and/or emails that show clear bias, likely 4-letter words about the Patriots, and an irrefutable agenda. There is little question that Pash reports to Goodell and there was a reason Pash refused to correct the ball deflation report. Goodell decided a scorched earth campaign against Kraft was his best option because there was no going back. He wanted the public to stay in his corner and feared what would happen should the public realize the NFL went all-in and fell on its face again. Perhaps he thought that would be the nail in his coffin.

Now is a critical time. I think Brady and/or the Patriots absolutely need to file a lawsuit against the NFL for defamation. While I don't know if they'd win, the embarasssment and shadiness or the league will become apparent during discovery, and the league would do anything to avoid this, including making a deal to eliminate all penalties. It would ironic to see the Patriots beat Goodell at his own game, embarrassing his opponent in the court of public opinion and forcing him to turn over HIS personal cell phone and emails. I also think a lawsuit may cause other owners to work out a deal with Kraft that should he drop the suit, they would allow an investigator to look into why his brand was damaged, which would be the end of Goodell and all of his cronies. The Patriots or Brady needs to act now while they still have leverage because, if the ruling comes against them, they are going to have much less of it.

Interesting. I am not convinced RG is that involved in the initial moments. I actually think a few weirdos at the League Office (including, but not limited to Kensil) got over-zealous at the possibility of bringing down BB.

Cat's outta the bag, BB not involved, ball left rolling too long to stop it. Liquored up Indy owner contributes. Boom. Pretend controversy everyone wants to talk about.

Irsay probably salty we called them out on pumping in crowd noise. Was pretty cool that Goody didn't even bother to investigate that one despite multiple teams complaining.

Now is a critical time. I think Brady and/or the Patriots absolutely need to file a lawsuit against the NFL for defamation. While I don't know if they'd win, the embarasssment and shadiness or the league will become apparent during discovery, and the league would do anything to avoid this, including making a deal to eliminate all penalties.
I agree and the more I think about this, the more I think the league is afraid of this so they are demanding an admission of guilt.

Of course, I've been wrong about just about everything in my predictions of what will happen in this whole thing, so take the above with a grain of salt. :(

Another action, which I think is seriously overlooked, that would add to the your notion of a 'panicked ignorance' is the fact that they reinflated the footballs in question at halftime rather than using the backup footballs.

I can just imagine the confusion in Kensil's mind when both the Patriots and Colts footballs were measuring below regulation pressure.

The settlement that Judge Berman is pushing would almost certainly preclude subsequent suits.

The settlement that Judge Berman is pushing would almost certainly preclude subsequent suits.
Further suits from Brady or the NFLPA. Wouldn't have any effect on the Pats. Not to say that I think that will happen.

I don't believe that Brady, the individual, is a party in the current suit. It's the NFLPA on behalf of Brady.

Further suits from Brady or the NFLPA. Wouldn't have any effect on the Pats. Not to say that I think that will happen.
As much as I would like to see it, I see the chances of further defamation suits close to zero. Kraft seems allergic to legal battles and Brady has plenty of money and popularity. A defamation suit would do little to affect popular opinion. We want to see it out of a sense of justice, but I believe we are unlikely to see justice. Brady could get back his 4 games and if he does he would walk away satisfied. Kraft passed on the appeal so the draft picks are gone.

As much as I would like to see it, I see the chances of further defamation suits close to zero. Kraft seems allergic to legal battles and Brady has plenty of money and popularity. A defamation suit would do little to affect popular opinion. We want to see it out of a sense of justice, but I believe we are unlikely to see justice. Brady could get back his 4 games and if he does he would walk away satisfied. Kraft passed on the appeal so the draft picks are gone.
No no no, this time Kraft is really really mad and he's going balls-out against the league:).

Now is a critical time. I think Brady and/or the Patriots absolutely need to file a lawsuit against the NFL for defamation. While I don't know if they'd win, the embarasssment and shadiness or the league will become apparent during discovery, and the league would do anything to avoid this, including making a deal to eliminate all penalties. It would ironic to see the Patriots beat Goodell at his own game, embarrassing his opponent in the court of public opinion and forcing him to turn over HIS personal cell phone and emails. I also think a lawsuit may cause other owners to work out a deal with Kraft that should he drop the suit, they would allow an investigator to look into why his brand was damaged, which would be the end of Goodell and all of his cronies. The Patriots or Brady needs to act now while they still have leverage because, if the ruling comes against them, they are going to have much less of it.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but with this whole thing being expedited there won't be any discovery.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but with this whole thing being expedited there won't be any discovery.

I am referring to discovery in a potential civil defamation suit. The threat of the NFL turning over their internal documents should be a huge bargaining chip for Brady/Kraft to use as they are discuss a settlement right now.

No no no, this time Kraft is really really mad and he's going balls-out against the league:).
20131209_deanwormer.png

Double secret defamation!

I think that everyone at the NFL offices has dirt on eachother, and that is the problem .

Do you mean subsequent suits related to the suspension and the CBA, or any subsequent suits? I was under the impression that the potential for a defamation lawsuit would be considered an entirely separate matter.

I also think there is an outside chance that Goodell thought Kraft would talk Brady out of taking his case to court and excepting his suspension. His plan almost worked (Kraft stayed true to form and did what was best for the other "31") and the court of public opinion has been on the leagues side. His biggest mistake was not reducing Brady's suspension. He must of been so confident that Kraft wouldn't leak any info that would damage the shield, that he upheld the full suspension. His plan went south when Kraft went scorched earth at his presser and then released the emails. He is going to have a lot explaining to do at the August 11 owners meeting.

This is a case of executives forgetting what the product they are selling is. The product is the game of football, consisting of coaches and players. The paper pushers cannot make all this money without them. This is a problem almost everywhere from colleges to symphony orchestras. The administrators are destroying everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back