PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think BB shut the Mediots up about Meriweather switching to corner rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither of the corners drafted appear, IMO, to have been drafted to actually play corner. It appears that they were drafted primarily as special teamers, kick returners and a possibility of playing nickel.

Merriweather will in all probability be moved to corner and will be part of a quintet of corners that will include Bryant, Merriweather, Richardson, Hobson and possibly Law or Shepherd.

Hobbs will move in to nickel.

Thats how I see it for 2008 with a few other names thrown in to the corner position that are on the roster now.

Ellis Hobbs is the best cornerback on the roster. Why would they move him to the nickle?

Ellis Hobbs is the best cornerback on the roster. Why would they move him to the nickle?

Just making that statement (which is true) makes my hair stand up on end :eek:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read that. Why is everyone so down on Hobbs? He's a good, physical corner. Most definitely a starter in this league.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read that. Why is everyone so down on Hobbs? He's a good, physical corner. Most definitely a starter in this league.

Hobbs has his moments of granduer but also has had more Pass Interference calls against him than any Patriots corner I can remember in the past decades - Sometimes he is TOO aggressive covering his guy and the size differential against taller receivers is usually the reason

Hopefully he grows up a bit in the 'General' role this year

I'm with Pats64. Merriweather back to S. Andy Hart may say its a done deal, but I believe NE will try Merriweather there throughout camp. Just like they did earlier and with Gay and others.

IMO, he is no lock to be the starting CB if his ball skills dont improve.

Hobbs has his moments of granduer but also has had more Pass Interference calls against him than any Patriots corner I can remember in the past decades - Sometimes he is TOO aggressive covering his guy and the size differential against taller receivers is usually the reason

I can remember at least 2 PI calls against Hobbs that were completely bogus (not including the obvious one in the AFC Champ game vs the colts). Plus I think he still has some upside left.

Interesting theory. How many P.I. calls have gone against each Patriot cornerback since Hobbs has been here?

Also, does the list of Hobbs P.I. calls include the blatantly wrong calls made against him?

Last edited:
Interesting theory. How many P.I. calls have gone against each Patriot cornerback since Hobbs has been here?

Also, does the list of Hobbs P.I. calls include the blatantly wrong calls in Denver and Indianapolis?

I think Hobbs is a good player, but I've noticed that a lot of his problems stem from the fact that he doesn't look for the ball. IMO, even though he has great coverage most of the time, he looks like he is interfering because he does a bad job of locating the ball. Obviously, this cuts down on his interception totals as well.

I don't have numbers for the years prior to last year but I had looked up last years penalty numbers while discussing Hobbs with someone else.

Hobbs: 2 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 2,9), 1 - Defensive Holding(week 17-declined) and 1 - 5 yard Facemask(week 5)

Samuel: 2 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 9, 16) and 1 - Illegal Block Above The Waist(week 7)

I know the year before Hobbs had more penalties but he really improved in that area last year. If I have time later I'll go through and get the numbers for the DBs since Hobbs got here.

I got these numbers from the play-by-play on nfl.com so its possible they aren't completely accurate but I think they are.

Hobbs: 2 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 2,9) 1 - Defensive Hold(week 17)
Samuel: 2 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 9,16)
Wilson: 1 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 15)
Harrison: 1 - Illegal Contact(week 9)

Hobbs: 5 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 2,12,13,17,AFCCG) 2 - Defensive Hold(week 12,WC) 1 - Illegal Contact(week 12)
Scott: 2 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 9,14) 1 - Defensive Hold(week 13)
Samuel: 1 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 3) 1 - Illegal Contact(week 9)
Hawkins: 1 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 12) 1 - Illegal Contact(week 14)
Harrison: 1 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 2)
Sanders: 1 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 3)
Poteat: 1 - Illegal Contact(week 4)
Brown: 1 - Defensive Holding(week 11)

Samuel: 3 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 1,2,Divisional Game)
Wilson: 2 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 2, 4) 2 - Illegal Contact(week 5,12) 1 - Defensive Holding(week 5)
Hobbs: 2 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 12,13) 1 - Illegal Contact(week 16)
Scott: 2 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 3)
Hawkins: 1 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 12)
Poteate: 1 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 14)
Poole: 1 - Defensive Holding(week 1)

Says who? Andy Hart said it's a done deal on PFW in Progress today.
Belichick is on WEEI and he just said that Safety wasn't a high priority this year after drafting Meriweather last year, it came across to me that Meriweather is still a Safety not a CB.

Hobbs: 2 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 2,9) 1 - Defensive Hold(week 17)
Samuel: 2 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 9,16)
Wilson: 1 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 15)
Harrison: 1 - Illegal Contact(week 9)

Hobbs: 5 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 2,12,13,17,AFCCG) 2 - Defensive Hold(week 12,WC) 1 - Illegal Contact(week 12)
Scott: 2 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 9,14) 1 - Defensive Hold(week 13)
Samuel: 1 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 3) 1 - Illegal Contact(week 9)
Hawkins: 1 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 12) 1 - Illegal Contact(week 14)
Harrison: 1 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 2)
Sanders: 1 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 3)
Poteat: 1 - Illegal Contact(week 4)
Brown: 1 - Defensive Holding(week 11)

Samuel: 3 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 1,2,Divisional Game)
Wilson: 2 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 2, 4) 2 - Illegal Contact(week 5,12) 1 - Defensive Holding(week 5)
Hobbs: 2 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 12,13) 1 - Illegal Contact(week 16)
Scott: 2 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 3)
Hawkins: 1 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 12)
Poteate: 1 - Defensive Pass Interference(week 14)
Poole: 1 - Defensive Holding(week 1)

So, if you take away the blatantly blown calls, he's right there with Samuel in terms of numbers. That sounds just about right.

Thanks for the info.

Also, does the list of Hobbs P.I. calls include the blatantly wrong calls made against him?

The Denver call was B.S. but the Indy call, as much as I hate to admit it, was spot-on. The guy was FACE GUARDING Wayne then jumped in the air and extended his arms out. The ball bounced off his back and to the ground. That's definitely pass interference, unless you were talking about another P.I. that was called against him v.s. Indy. However, that's the one that stands out in my mind.

The Denver call was B.S. but the Indy call, as much as I hate to admit it, was spot-on. The guy was FACE GUARDING Wayne then jumped in the air and extended his arms out. The ball bounced off his back and to the ground. That's definitely pass interference, unless you were talking about another P.I. that was called against him v.s. Indy. However, that's the one that stands out in my mind.

Face guarding is not pass interference in the NFL. The officials apparently admitted their error:

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=23945&pcid=41

Last edited:
I think Hobbs is a good player, but I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve noticed that a lot of his problems stem from the fact that he doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t look for the ball. IMO, even though he has great coverage most of the time, he looks like he is interfering because he does a bad job of locating the ball. Obviously, this cuts down on his interception totals as well.

The reason that Hobbs gets called for as many pass interference calls as he does, some warranted and others not warranted is caused by the fact that he is a weak one on one cover corner.

Many times he is easily faked and easily beaten by wide receivers and he is forced to make late recovery.

It is that late recovery that will look like pass interference or actually is pass interference and will draw the yellow flag attention of an official.

Also, once a CB develops a reputation for being late on plays and getting caught in a position where he might cause PI then officials will already have their hand in the back pocket getting the yellow flag out to be thrown.

PI is usually caused in most cases by a DB that has been beaten badly and must recover and also by defensive backs with a significant height disadvantage.

As has been said, sometimes the call is blatantly wrong but
unfortunately for a player like Hobbs, perception is reality.

Hobbs is far better suited to play inside at nickel.

Last edited:
The reason that Hobbs gets called for as many pass interference calls as he does, some warranted and others not warranted is caused by the fact that he is a weak one on one cover corner.

Many times he is easily faked and easily beaten by wide receivers and he is forced to make late recovery.

It is that late recover that will look like pass interference or actually is pass interference and will draw the yellow flag attention of an official.

Also, once a CB develops a reputation for being late on plays and getting caught in a position where he might cause PI then officials will already have their hand in the back pocket getting the yellow flag out to be thrown.

PI is usually caused in most cases by a DB that has been beaten badly and must recover and also by defensive backs with a significant height disadvantage.

As has been said, sometimes the call is blatantly wrong bu
unfortunately for a player like Hobbs, perception is reality.

Hobbs is far better suited to play inside at nickel.
Is this NEM?

Mix: Where did you get that Crable logo. It is awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back