PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think BB shut the Mediots up about Meriweather switching to corner rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Schefter and other mediots were saying Meriweather was shifting to play corner most of the time this year.

I think the several CBs added on now on top of the veterans already on the roster we now have, spells several probable things out...

• Meriweather will NOT be heading to corner since no regular full time college safety was drafted - Meriweather will be a SAFETY in a rotation at FS/SS

• BB likes his cast of Safeties and the new addition in Tank Williams or he would have picked one as late as in round 6

• I would say BB also thinks highly of James Sanders to take over Harrison's place full time when Rodney hangs it up,likely next year

• I think Jason Webster has his work cut out if he is going to be on this team,I expect these new additions in today's draft to give a good run for the roster - I fully expect Hobbs and Bryant as starting corners on opening day barring any injury

• The fact that we added 2 new additions to the CB area makes me wonder if this team is really serious about Ty Law,After today I don't expect him here unless something wild happens like Law playing for LOW dough

Last edited:
Says who? Andy Hart said it's a done deal on PFW in Progress today.

Says who? Andy Hart said it's a done deal on PFW in Progress today.

I didn't hear Hart say anything but I would be surprised if he did switch to corner, especially since CB appears stacked unless more than half of these guys suck.

Safety is leaner IMO - Harrison is another year older and probably another year slower and Meriweather was drafted to be a Safety which is his normal position,I don't think I want to see him at corner and hope its not true by opening day,But injuries change alot of things and if J. Sanders gets injured things will change again and so on .

Do you like only Harrison,Sanders and Williams at this position? - I would rather see another young guy at this spot - I think Corner has plenty of options.

Last edited:
I didn't hear Hart say anything but I would be surprised if he did switch to corner, especially since CB appears stacked unless more than half of these guys suck.

Safety is leaner IMO - Harrison is another year older and probably another year slower and Meriweather was drafted to be a Safety which is his normal position,I don't think I want to see him at corner and hope its not true by opening day,But injuries change alot of things and if J. Sanders gets injured things will change again and so on .

Do you like only Harrison,Sanders and Williams at this position? - I would rather see another young guy at this spot - I think Corner has plenty of options.

I'd rather see Meriweather potentially win a starting spot at CB than be a backup safety/dimeback.

I hope Meriweather stays at FS so he has freedom to roam around. The drafting of two CB's pretty much tells us that he will remain at FS. I don't know where Shefter gets that.

I would like to see Meriweather really push Sanders for that FS spot. And I think he will.

Last edited:
I assumed Hobbs and Bryant would start, the young guys would give us depth and Meriweather would be the 3rd safety, playing a lot including taking the slot guy in passing downs. Personally I wish he'd stay at Safety, I want more speed there.

Law could make the move to safety. People have been saying it's going to happen at some point.

I'd rather see Meriweather potentially win a starting spot at CB than be a backup safety/dimeback.

I am hoping Bryant is very good and I think Hobbs is a near guarantee at the other spot so if Bryant has a tremendous TC then at best I could see Meriweather as a multi-purpose defensive back coming in and playing whatever position is needed at times when an injury occurs or maybe in for guys who need a few minutes break off the field,but the key here is Bryant and how he performs early which will be the key to Meriweather and where he plays most of the time,I still say Safety is his forte.

I am hoping Bryant is very good and I think Hobbs is a near guarantee at the other spot so if Bryant has a tremendous TC then at best I could see Meriweather as a multi-purpose defensive back coming in and playing whatever position is needed at times when an injury occurs or maybe in for guys who need a few minutes break off the field,but the key here is Bryant and how he performs early which will be the key to Meriweather and where he plays most of the time,I still say Safety is his forte.

I seriously doubt Bryant and/or Webster can stay healthy for a full season. Anything we get out of them especially early is a bonus while the kids learn the system.

Meriweather done deal to corner or Ty Law done deal to NE?

You know thats a good question

I thought Pats1 was referring to Merweather and not Law,He might be

What is it Pats1?

I hope Meriweather stays at FS so he has freedom to roam around. The drafting of two CB's pretty much tells us that he will remain at FS. I don't know where Shefter gets that.

I would like to see Meriweather really push Sanders for that FS spot. And I think he will.
Agreed. Wish we would have gotten Barrett or Silva to team with Merriweather next year
DW Toys

You know thats a good question

I thought Pats1 was referring to Merweather and not Law,He might be

What is it Pats1?

I was referring to Meriweather. Andy Hart said it's a done deal that Meriweather is moving to corner. You can find the archive at Patriots.com.

Last edited:
I was referring to Meriweather. Andy Hart said it's a done deal that Meriweather is moving to corner. You can find the archive at Patriots.com.

Interesting. Could mean no Ty Law. Could mean Ty Law as a FS.

The fact that we added 2 new additions to the CB area makes me wonder if this team is really serious about Ty Law,After today I don't expect him here unless something wild happens like Law playing for LOW dough

I see Law and Junior Seau in a similar light at this stage in their careers. In both cases, the Pats have gone with a veteran free agent (Byrant and Hobson) to compete with rookie draft choices in the playing time rotation. Law or Seau would be pencilled in as situational players in a rotation and/or insurance.

He started the Super Bowl at FS, I still think that's where he should pick up in 08. Sanders is not a free safety, especially not in the Pats system, but a Meriweather-Sanders combo for years to come sounds good to me.

I think Meriweather is highly gifted and would be able to be a solid corner. Plus, he seems like a team first guy and is willing to play where ever the coaches want him to play. Plus, if BB and Dom Capers say he can play CB, I can accept that.

However, I think he is going to be a perrenial All Star if he stays at FS. Plus, with the CB's we picked up today, it just seems to make more sense that he would stay at FS.

Has Sanders ever excelled at anything other than, perhaps, beating expectations for a 4th-rounder?

I think it's Meriweather and Rodney as the starters, with Sanders as the swing safety (first backup at either starting spot, regular breather subs even when the other two are healthy, regular roles in specific sub packages, etc.)

Schefter and other mediots were saying Meriweather was shifting to play corner most of the time this year.

The fact that we added 2 new additions to the CB area makes me wonder if this team is really serious about Ty Law,After today I don't expect him here unless something wild happens like Law playing for LOW dough[/LIST]
Unless Law will play saftey also, Ala Rod Woodson.

- I think Corner has plenty of options.

Neither of the corners drafted appear, IMO, to have been drafted to actually play corner. It appears that they were drafted primarily as special teamers, kick returners and a possibility of playing nickel.

Merriweather will in all probability be moved to corner and will be part of a quintet of corners that will include Bryant, Merriweather, Richardson, Hobson and possibly Law or Shepherd.

Hobbs will move in to nickel.

Thats how I see it for 2008 with a few other names thrown in to the corner position that are on the roster now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey