PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think Adam is going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Its part of sports, but this team will move as it always does. Adam is going to think about himself, he won super bowl, now he will play on for himself and his family. And that is ok, I just wish we could have taken care of him earlier, but he wants to make 500,000 more . Maybee he feels disrespected, maybee he wants a new start, but Im now resigned to the fact he will be either in GB or Dallas...

Last edited:
LOL, you only just figured this out :)

I've fully expected it for a while, for whatever reason he seems to want to leave. Unfortunately.

Sean Pa Patriot said:
Its part of spots, but this team will move as it always does. Adam is going to think about himself, he won super bowl, no he will play on for himself and his family. And that is ok, I just wish we would have taken care of him earlier, but he want to make 500,000 more . Maybee he feels disrespected, maybee he wants a new start, but Im now resigned to the fact he will be either in GB or Dallas...

Holy gibberish. Late night?

How many Vinatieri is gone threads does one board need? People complain about the OT threads killing legit football threads but my god.....

I think its a Patriots decison.

How much more would any team pay than the Pats if the Pats consider him still worth top dollar? Surely not enough to make him leave.

The thing is that we have a hard time looking at this from an unattached perspective. (BB does not) Vinatieri is an icon. Not to take anything away from what he has done, but remember he has excelled at something that has an 80% success ratio. (Granted the Snow Bowl kick was more like 8%)
History has a way of looking at Vinaitieri kicking a game winner in a SB and thinking without him it doesnt happen. But in reality, any competent kicker hits that 80% of the time.

There are a few dynamics that go into this.
1) BB has valued AV more than any HC has vaued a K in NFL history. Good or bad that is what AV will base his value on.
2) BB was correct to do that, but AT SOME POINT would be wrong to. There will be a day when AV is no longer able to kick in the NFL and retires. Leading up to that day he will decline. BB is the only one charged with being accountable to decide when that day is, how close the decline is and when the point is reached where the future Adam is less valuable than the past Adam.
3) #1 implies that BB has sacrificed other areas for the K spot. If you have the best and pay him like the best, something else is underfunded. When 2 begins, that is no longer acceptable.
4) Vinatieri is reaching the age where decline may be setting in.

The final decision comes to BB recognizing a day will come when AV is no longer worth the money that the bar has been set at. If it is within the timeframe of this proposed contract, BB will reduce what he would pay for this player. At that point the player will not accept the terms.

IMO, the big difference between fans and GMs/HCs is that we cannot envision a Pat team without Vinaiteri. At least not yet. BB is paid to know it is inevitable and correctly decide when it is. While I think that BB has incredible loyalty to AV, his job says that shouldnt matter.

As we have all said in the past, you do not offer a contract for what a player did up to the day you sign it, but for what he will do within it.

I look at it this way:

The price of AV is X.
Through most of his career he has proven worth that.

Today he may or may not.
By 2016 he definitely will not be worth that.
The question is in deciding when that day is going to occur, and making an unemotional decision about it.
I dont think it is today, Im not convinced it isnt less than a 3 year contract away.

He isn't worth the price that he thinks he deserves. Bottom line. Ciao baby. Tell Drew and Terry (wait, that's me!) hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye