Welcome to PatsFans.com

I see a conservative game plan from Cassel against Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I could see a bit of the old Cassel with the dink and dunk in this weeks huge clash against one of the toughest defenses in the league and arguably the best safety in the NFL in Polamalu

I seriously doubt Cassel sniffs anywhere near 400 yards this week

I think the game plan may very well go back to the conservative approach with Cassel tossing short 5 or 10 yard passes in the slot and some screens as I think it will be tough to go long much at all against thier secondary

If Jordan and Morris both play it could make a difference - I expect whichever runs the ball more effectively will win this game and it should be a LOW scoring affair.

Your thoughts?
  2. lostjumper

lostjumper Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think you are right. I don't see the defense of Pittsburgh giving the pats the 1 on 1 matches on our WR's like we saw in the Miami game. If moss is double covered, that should leave some more running room in the middle.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +280 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Of course he won't throw for 400 but the Patriots tend to come out aggressively against Pittsburgh and there's no reason to think they won't this time. They like to spread them out and make it difficult to send all the blitzers while trying to cover 4-5 WR. Tightening up the offense, running and throwing short actually plays into Pittsburgh's hands.
  4. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +198 / 4 / -5

The only way the Patriots go conservative is if they need to in order to protect Cassel.

Last year, even with healthy RBs, they basically didn't even try to run the ball in the second half.

Personally, I think Cassel might actually get 400 yards next week. Not likely, but not impossible.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +280 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

The Patriots seem to think the best way to protect the QB against Pittsburgh is to go 4-5 wide and force them to keep more players in coverage rather than blitzing. It seems to work in general, I hope we have Light for the game. Faulk is also a key, I don't know what his history is against Pittsburgh but screens work great against blitzing defenses.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Cassel runs for 100yds+:D
  7. Sivy

Sivy Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I see the patriots finally being able to get to the qb consistantly against pit
  8. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +454 / 5 / -1

I agree the best way to attack an agressive defense like the Steelers is to spread them out and attack with a lot screens and slants. You gotta use their aggression against them and make them over pursue on short passes. I think Welker and Faulk both should have big games if the offense is effective.
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +280 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

We'd better, they've allowed 35 sacks in only 334 attempts. As compared to the last two teams, Miami and Jest, who average allowing 21.5 sacks in 353.5 attempts. The Patriots have also allowed 35 sacks but in 375 attempts and most of those sacks were early.
  10. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

The Pats will open it up against Pittsburgh because they'll have to. Running on the Steelers is an exercise in futility. They probably have the best LB corps in the league.

I hope Matt Light doesn't get suspended. I pity LeVoir or whoever else has to block James Harrison.

On the plus side, Pittsburgh's OL is very shaky at pass protection so the Pats should be able to get to Roethlisberger.

Regards,
    Chris
  11. Halifax_Pats_Fan

Halifax_Pats_Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Just checking out Pitt. 2008 Defensive stats so far...

PTS
    (1st)

YDS
    (1st)

PASS YDS
    (1st)

RUSH YDS
    (1st)

...should we play well against this defense and put up a lot of numbers (which I am doubtful we will), then I will be even more optimistic/stoked about our chances going into the playoffs. Pitt. is a beast on D. this year....
  12. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

The Pats have always spread the Steelers out and tried to loosen up the front seven and mix in the run to keep them honest. I look for much of the same. On the plus side this is the third week in a row facing a 3-4 team. On the minus nobody throws for 400 yards three weeks in a row. I just hope he doesn't have a bad game which often happens after a guy has been on fire.
  13. Brady-To-Branch

Brady-To-Branch Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 11 / -1

Then I see a loss for the Pats. I couldn't disagree with you more.

Heading into week# 12, the Steelers were #1 against the run allowing only 2.96 yards per carry. Playing conservative against Pittsburgh is epic fail.

In the 1st Miami game, this season, the Pats tried this same approach against Miami's #9 (3.73 ypc) run defense with horrible results.

Right now the passing game is the strength of the Pats offense. Why take it away? Let the Steelers try doing that, rather than the coaching staff. Moreover, our running game is mediocre at best.

If the Pats can't pass, they won't win.

Ike Taylor can be exploited. The key is how Cassel handles the rush. He handled it very well yesterday. IMO, Josh and BB will come out throwing and isolate Taylor.

The Steelers are overrated. Their quality record is only 2-2, with their only two wins against the Ravens, who suck, and the Redskins, who suck. Sure, those teams have winning records, but neither team is elite.
  14. patsfaninpittsburgh

patsfaninpittsburgh Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Pittsburgh always has a "dominant defense" till they play us. LeBeau's zone blitz schemes work well until you have an answer. If you have an answer, it falls apart very quickly.

I see no reason that we can't see a repeat of the Sep 2005/Dec 2007 games. We can once again, establish the "blue print" for beating the Steelers.

I would note that the Steeler secondary is playing better this year.
  15. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The Steelers have avery Stout run D there won't be alot of running lanes against them. Mr. Glass Morris limped off the Field yesterday so there is no telling if he will be a scratch. I am not expecting to see Maroney 2 = Lamont Jordan.:rolleyes: I think the Pats have to spread em out and hope we have Matt Light for this Game. They have to be creative on Offense and see if they can hit on some big plays. I am pretty sure they are going to take Moss away. Wes Welker will have to do his thing and Jabar Gaffney better hold on to those Footballs.:mad: We have to be fundamentally sound against a D like Pitrsburghs. Mistakes are going to kill us if we are not careful...if this Game plays out like the Jets Game...the N.E. Patriots are not winning.
  16. tombonneau

tombonneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Agree 100%. The Pats need to play to their strengths, not mute them. I'm less worried about the NE offense putting up the 20+ needed to win and more worried about the secondary getting burned by Holmes, Ward & Washington.

If the Pats can't generate pressure on Big Ben vs. that line, they will be in huge trouble.
  17. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

We need some early stops on defense if we want to play it conservative. Not going to hold my breath for that and I doubt JM does either.

I expect us to go spread from the start.
  18. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yikes:eek::scared:
  19. patsfaninpittsburgh

patsfaninpittsburgh Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think people tend to under estimate how good a QB Chad Pennington is. Chad may have a weak arm, he is smart and accurate with his passes

We have had success against Pittsburgh because "Big Ben" isn't that smart. Actually, if we make it to the playoffs, I wouldn't be worried about facing Lord Favre for the third time.
  20. Brady-To-Branch

Brady-To-Branch Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 11 / -1

The good news is that the Steelers O-line is one of the worst in the NFL. The Pats do seem to get to QBs who play behind terrible lines. Ben will throw picks when pressured.

I'm really confident we can win this game. In fact, I'm not scared at all.

If we can't beat an overrated Pittsburgh team, at home, then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.