PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I see 11-5 this year in a realistic look at this team

Status
Not open for further replies.
also remember in regards to our pass defense, this is another contract year for asante should he chose to play he'll be playing to make money next year

11-5? The glass is always half empty?

6-0 in the division, washington 7-0, cleveland 8-0, giants 9-0 . . . . philly is overated 10-0, dallas might be trouble . . .

I'll say 13-3 with losses to SD, Dallas and Baltimore.

Was Pittsburgh not 11-5 (or 10-6) in 2005?,Was the Patriots not 11-5 in 2001? - nothing is definite
True, nothing is definate, but look at your examples. They both represent flukes. 11-5 got us a playoff bye, and a home game against the Raiders. It won't this year. Pittsburgh is an incredible story. The only team ever to win three road playoff games and the superbowl. Yeah, it is possible. I could win the lottery, too.

I think 12-4, 13-3 if that is what it take to not fly to the West Coast for a playoff game, is what is needed.

Because of age,slower players and untested younger guys in our LB Corps I can see some problems in that area in the season,I can also see our secondary taking time to adjust and get in synch with each other if Asante leaves.

Those 2 areas seem to be our biggest challenges to being #1 in February although the OL and RB areas may take a bit longer to get an idea of where they lie in terms of being solid this year.

Everywhere else on this team appears to be already championship caliber and with good depth.

I look at 11-5 this season with losses to

At Jets - 1st game of the year I believe and Mangini will have his troops playing especially tough to beat,I think we lose in a squeaker,will be a great game however.

At Indy - Until we prove Indy is not as good as in recent years its tough to think we can end our losing streak to them yet until we do,as long as a guy named Manning is behind center,we are going to be in for a dogfight.

At Miami - What can you say here but no matter what crap team Miami has on the field they always find a way to beat us in Miami or make us work doubly hard to pull out a close win...Another loss down there is definately possible again.

At Baltimore - Tom has always had some problems in playing against a team with a all-pro safety and that defense is as good as it gets..However we should have a chance to win this because Baltimore's offense really is not very good but lets hope this is not one of Tom's 4 interception games he has at least once or twice a year.

At Cincinnati - Just basing this on the thought that Cincinnati's defense appears a bit better this year with some of their aquisitions and can't see them play any worse at home than they did against us last year,not likely to happen again,I could see us losing this one in a high scoring shootout,Then again we could just as easily win it too.

There you have it ,I think those 5 Games are the ones we need to worry about and where I think we will lose,most being close losses and all of those on the road - I see us undefeated at home this year - That makes us 11-5 and still division champs but no cakewalk by any means in the AFC.

16-0? Perfect Season? - Don't make me laugh guys

So you feel we have gotten worse.
I disagree.
Some of your logic is intriguing.

Mangini will have the Jets ready to play, which implies BB will not have the Pats ready, so the lesser talented Jets win because of superior coaching????

We will lose to Miami because we have before, but the fact that we killed Cincy last year is a reason we will lose to them this year.

I have no idea what you mean by saying Brady cant beat a team that has an all-pro safety.

Surprising that the addition of Adalius Thomas has you believing we have declined at LB.
I'm not sure either what the 'adjustment' in the secondary would be. You did say if Asante left, do you change your prediction if he stays? becuase many of the secondary players are returning. Its not like we overhauled the entire unit. Do you think the Colts will lose games becuase of their secondary getting adjusted to each other after losing most of their corners?

It seems your objective was to be pessimistic, so you searched for reasons to expect this team to be worse next year after all of the imporvements brought in.

If ONLY adding Adalius Thomas and POTENTIALLY having an 'adjustment period' in the secondary cause us to be one game worse, I'm glad we got so much better on offense or these disastrous factors would have us at 8-8:)

We got worse?

Not at all, 11-5 means they're playing three games to make it to the super bowl instead of two home games. I expect super bowl with the pats just as I did when they traded for Dillon, with the addition of Moss I expect the same thing. 14-2 is the worse they should do. Because they that record would pretty much prove that they can dominate anyone at any time, anywhere.

Dont count on it.

I think the Pats have reached Yankees territory - making the playoffs is not good enough. Anything short of the AFC championship game will be a bad season. They should earn a bye and win at least their first playoff game. It's really too bad the 3 best teams in football are all in the AFC.

The only way I can see this team going 11-5 is if Cassell starts some games. This team can reasonably be expected to win somewhere between 12 and 14 games.

God we're spoiled.

Last edited:
I just can't see anything other than 14-2/13-3. No other team has done as much to improve in the offseason, and we did so with a team that was already one of the 3 best in the league (SD/Indy.)

Because of age,slower players and untested younger guys in our LB Corps I can see some problems in that area in the season,I can also see our secondary taking time to adjust and get in synch with each other if Asante leaves.

Those 2 areas seem to be our biggest challenges to being #1 in February although the OL and RB areas may take a bit longer to get an idea of where they lie in terms of being solid this year.

Everywhere else on this team appears to be already championship caliber and with good depth.

At Jets - 1st game of the year I believe and Mangini will have his troops playing especially tough to beat,I think we lose in a squeaker,will be a great game however.

At Indy - Until we prove Indy is not as good as in recent years its tough to think we can end our losing streak to them yet until we do,as long as a guy named Manning is behind center,we are going to be in for a dogfight.

At Miami - What can you say here but no matter what crap team Miami has on the field they always find a way to beat us in Miami or make us work doubly hard to pull out a close win...Another loss down there is definately possible again.

At Baltimore - Tom has always had some problems in playing against a team with a all-pro safety and that defense is as good as it gets..However we should have a chance to win this because Baltimore's offense really is not very good but lets hope this is not one of Tom's 4 interception games he has at least once or twice a year.

At Cincinnati - Just basing this on the thought that Cincinnati's defense appears a bit better this year with some of their aquisitions and can't see them play any worse at home than they did against us last year,not likely to happen again,I could see us losing this one in a high scoring shootout,Then again we could just as easily win it too.

There you have it ,I think those 5 Games are the ones we need to worry about and where I think we will lose,most being close losses and all of those on the road - I see us undefeated at home this year - That makes us 11-5 and still division champs but no cakewalk by any means in the AFC.

-because age? Our offense is young..only guys around 30 are Brady-Moss-Light am i right? On defense..its our LBs and Harrison that are old

-We added speed in offseason..Stallworth..Moss..Meriweather..Thomas. These guys are fast.

-untested young players..you mean depth..i agree but im confident we'll sign someone to come in and be a good backup

-IF Asante leaves..we havent heard in awhile but hed be stupid to sit out

13-3 next year. As usual, teams you expect to be good won't and teams that you expect to such surprise. I look at the defensive backs on the Pats schedule this year and wonder who is going to be able to cover all these receivers.

I'm not a big fan of predicting records, because the nature of the schedule/opponents is so fluid. Having said that, 11-5 sounds really low. Losing to Miami? I realize we always seem to, but that team's heading for 4-12. The Jets, Buffalo, etc...don't see it. Toughest games are Indy & SD. I'll submit 14-2, with 12-4 the absolute lowest.

All I can say is that on paper the teams we play are not Detroit,Green Bay,Minnesota,Houston like last year and instead are Dallas,Philadelphia,Washington (who we have never beaten in BB era),and Baltimore so if you look at what teams in terms on talent 'on paper' are concerned,it is not unreasonable to think 11 wins,Of course this goes without any major issues with the NFC east teams we play.

If we had the schedule that we do this year on last years squad it is not impossible that we might have lost at least 2 more games in the regular season in 2006.

Anyone who says playing the NFC East is easier than last years NFC North teams then you are simply nuts regardless of how much better our team appears 'on paper' right now..

All I can say is that on paper the teams we play are not Detroit,Green Bay,Minnesota,Houston like last year and instead are Dallas,Philadelphia,Washington (who we have never beaten in BB era),and Baltimore so if you look at what teams in terms on talent 'on paper' are concerned,it is not unreasonable to think 11 wins,Of course this goes without any major issues with the NFC east teams we play.

If we had the schedule that we do this year on last years squad it is not impossible that we might have lost at least 2 more games in the regular season in 2006.

Anyone who says playing the NFC East is easier than last years NFC North teams then you are simply nuts regardless of how much better our team appears 'on paper' right now..

Anyone who tries to predict how tough a schedule will be is nuts. A "tough" team could suffer major injury's etc etc.

Last edited:
I think 11-5 is totally realistic. I fully agree.

11-5 and a super bowl win. I really see it panning out like that. We squeak ahead of our division, get the 4 seed, beat Denver in the second round and San Diego in the AFC Championship. Let's say Dallas in the super bowl.

Last year we played the NFC north. One good team and 3 pretty crummy teams. This year we play the NFC east. 2 good teams and 2 crummy teams.

Last year we played the AFC south. Ignoring Indy (because we play them this year) they had one good team and 2 crummier teams. This year we play the AFC north: (ignoring Cinci) one good team, one question mark (who knows what to expect from Pitt) and a crummy team.

So assuming the worst-case and Pitt is good this year that is two more good teams on the schedule. If you're predicting 11-5 after they went 12-4 last year, you either think they split those two games and see no offseason improvement or they lose them both and picked up one game this offseason.

I guess my point is just that the schedule isn't that big a deal. Oh, and we don't have to play Denver this year.

We were 12-4 in '06. To only be 11-5 in '07 would be an underachievement after all the players and money spent in the off season. I expect at least 12 wins this coming season. 11-5 would make us a #4 seed in the playoffs with no 1st round bye. All of our SB wins came with a first round bye. My prediction: No Patriots 1st round bye this year then no Patriot's SB ring this year.

Last edited:
Let's not forget that the Bills were about one foot on fourth down shy from taking out the Patriots in the opener last year...really, who knows? I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that this team starts 0-2, and if they do so, what's to say they don't finish 11-5? Or worse? I don't think this will happen, mind you, but haven't we all seen enough football not to expect anything at this point? I'd say anything from 15-1 to 10-6 is perfectly reasonable in terms of expectations....

Let's not forget that the Bills were about one foot on fourth down shy from taking out the Patriots in the opener last year...really, who knows? I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that this team starts 0-2, and if they do so, what's to say they don't finish 11-5? Or worse? I don't think this will happen, mind you, but haven't we all seen enough football not to expect anything at this point? I'd say anything from 15-1 to 10-6 is perfectly reasonable in terms of expectations....

Tom Brady, Maroney, Watson, Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Caldwell, Adalius Thomas and 10-6 is reasonable? No way. In business, you'd be fired for making that kind of investment with a 10-6 type of return. 10-6 is one loss away from not making the playoffs. We need minimum 12 wins.

Last edited:
Because of age,

Who's old? Harrison? Bruschi?

You sound like a bitter fan of another team spewing purely untrue trash. You could call the Patriots "old" in 2003 or 2004. But if you had spent a even a second actually paying attention to the Pats over the past few years, you'd know they've gotten younger and younger.

PATRIOTSFANINPA said:
slower players

Like Donte' Stallworth? Randy Moss?

Oh, I'm sorry. Tedy Bruschi has gotten slower. I didn't realize he made up the entire team.

PATRIOTSFANINPA said:
and untested younger guys in our LB Corps

Right, Rosevelt Colvin, Adalius Thomas, Tedy Bruschi, and Mike Vrabel are untested.

It would be INCREDIBLY naive to think the roster the Pats have now at LB will be the one they will go into the season with. Either the new young players will step up and fill in as depth, or the Patriots will acquire veteran depth. It's a win-win situation.

PATRIOTSFANINPA said:
I can see some problems in that area in the season,

Good Lord, you're proclaiming a 11-5 season because Justin Rogers and Pierre Woods are the backup OLBs? Give me a break. This is a joke.

PATRIOTSFANINPA said:
I can also see our secondary taking time to adjust and get in synch with each other if Asante leaves.

Again, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I don't think the Pats' passing game will have problems in 2007 because Brady will have to "get in synch" with the new posse.

PATRIOTSFANINPA said:
I can also see our secondary taking time to Those 2 areas seem to be our biggest challenges to being #1 in February

Tory James and Justin Rogers are the Patriots' keys to going to the Super Bowl?

Where do you come up with this crap?

PATRIOTSFANINPA said:
although the OL and RB areas may take a bit longer to get an idea of where they lie in terms of being solid this year.

Do they have psychological problems or something? "They may need time to get an idea of where they lie?"

Are you kidding me?

PATRIOTSFANINPA said:

WOW! Wouldn't want that.

PATRIOTSFANINPA said:

Right, just like in the playoffs last year.

PATRIOTSFANINPA said:

I don't think anyone is questioning that. But what's with that Manning statement? Isn't there some guy named Brady (no, not on the Browns) who is pretty good?

PATRIOTSFANINPA said:

You do a damn good job of applying irrelevant past results to this season.

PATRIOTSFANINPA said:

Again, you're trying to apply IRRELEVANT past results to this season. Whether of not Brady had a 4 interception game in 2005 or 2006 means NOTHING in 2007.

Like who?!?!

You're completely off on this one. The Bengals added NOTHING to their defense.

In fact, they LOST their ILB in Brian Simmons, their FS in Kevin Kaesviharn, and CB in Tory James.

On offense, they LOST their RG in Eric Steinbach, and they won't have Chris Henry for half of the season.

You'd have to be completely off your rocker to even suggest the Bengals have gotten better.

There are only three possibilities to this post:

1) You're joking.

2) You're a troll.

3) Your thoughts are genuine. If that's true, I feel for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back