PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I say, pony up for AV!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Felger is right... if you pay an extra $500K-1M a year, it's less than 1% of your overall cap number. And Adam is money. Just suck it up, BB. (he reads these boards just to find out my opinions on these matters. LMAO!!!) :D

oldrover said:
Felger is right... if you pay an extra $500K-1M a year, it's less than 1% of your overall cap number. And Adam is money. Just suck it up, BB. (he reads these boards just to find out my opinions on these matters. LMAO!!!) :D

No, BB reads this board to find out what is happening with his ladies! :p

I agree with you about Adam. I can't imagine losing the greatest clutch kicker in the NFL over 500K!! Just sign him Bill!

Bye Adam! Thanks for the snow game! Good luck with the extra $500K or so.

I think when all the numbers come out...it will be a lot more than 500-600K..Just a gut thought on it. I agree, if it is close, they should go higher and make a run at it. They don't know what it might take adn I am sure will get a shot at keeping him once others have made bids. I am not sure what it will take to keep him...3Mill?? and a bonus?? More?? I hate to lose him, but..I think BB/SP know what they are doing.

At this point, I say F Adam. Thanks for the memories but if he really wanted to be here, he would be signed already. Time to move on.

The issue with Adam is guarenteed money up front. So if they can resolve that issue , then he'll stay and I think he will.

huskeralk said:
At this point, I say F Adam. Thanks for the memories but if he really wanted to be here, he would be signed already. Time to move on.
I guess I'm at the midpoint. I wouldn't say F him, I'd love to have him back. But Longwell's contract wasn't that much and I wouldn't pay Adam any more than that. I surely wouldn't pay $3M+ on a multi year deal to a kicker.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
I guess I'm at the midpoint. I wouldn't say F him, I'd love to have him back. But Longwell's contract wasn't that much and I wouldn't pay Adam any more than that. I surely wouldn't pay $3M+ on a multi year deal to a kicker.

I know we are not supposed to pay players based on past performance, but do you really think Adam should not get paid more than Longwell?

Bill's Girl said:
I know we are not supposed to pay players based on past performance, but do you really think Adam should not get paid more than Longwell?

I do. Without his kicks, we don't get to ANY of the SBs. How many would other kickers have made? Dunno. Yeah, last year wasn't his best... but the games we lost, we were blown out for the most part.

oldrover said:
I do. Without his kicks, we don't get to ANY of the SBs. How many would other kickers have made? Dunno. Yeah, last year wasn't his best... but the games we lost, we were blown out for the most part.

That is a good point, I think Adam had the fewest FG attempts in his career last season.

Has anyone heard anything about teams being interested in Vanderjagt?

Bill's Girl said:
Has anyone heard anything about teams being interested in Vanderjagt?

Nah... the Colts are planning on re-signing him once they get the rules changed to move the goalposts 30 yards right. LMAO!!! :D

I say cap management is most important above all else. Guarenteed money to Adam means the same to some others, or at least they will perceive that they deserve the same.

I would rather see slightly below market value paid than to pay extra because I would rather have Warren, Wilfork and Seymour together here for a long time. As well as Branch and Wilson.

Adam has a few more years left in him as a FG kicker and probably only a few left as a kickoff man. Too much extra yardage given to teams this year...starting from their 35-40-45 yard lines from 1 or 2 soft kickoffs a game.

As diagnosed by Ordway, Adam has not really made any pressure kicks in a few years. Our memory of Adam $$$ is basically untested going forward.

There are 3 good kickers in the draft...all of whom can nail it into the endzone almost regularly which is worth far more than a pressure kick.

How much is kicking it into the endzone worth? Off the top of my head I'd have to say at least worth 3-6 points a game against good teams.

Is it easier to correct your ST's problems by revamping the unit in 1 year or getting a kicker who can nail it into the endzone now? I'll take my chances and take the rookie with the leg...then using that extra 3 Million on a LB or whatever.

I'm sorry but Adam is at least #5 on my list of our problems...I'll take the medicine for a few need FA's over an older kicker all day long.

Bill's Girl said:

If you eliminate the emotional attachment to Adam with his game winning SB kicks, no he shouldn't be paid more than Longwell. Statistically, they are nearly identical.

F.B.N. said:

As diagnosed by Ordway, Adam has not really made any pressure kicks in a few years. Our memory of Adam $$$ is basically untested going forward.

He won the Pitt game for us last year.

huskeralk said:
If you eliminate the emotional attachment to Adam with his game winning SB kicks, no he shouldn't be paid more than Longwell. Statistically, they are nearly identical.

You need to include the tangible clutch performances of AV however, consistent success in overtime, playoffs and Superbowl cannot be ignored.

Adam's % over the past 6 years (oldest to more recent) :
81.8%, 80%, 90%, 73.5%, 93.9%, 80%. Career 81.9%.

Longwell's :
86.8%, 64.5%, 82.4%, 88.5%, 85.5%, 74.1%. Career 81.6%.

In that time, the percents in ranges :

Vinatieri
20-29 96%
30-39 83%
40-49 71%
50+ 47%

Longwell
20-29 92%
30-39 87%
40-49 72%
50+ 59%

Paying Adam the same is compensating him for past performance somewhat. He's two years older than Longwell. Other that 20-29, Longwell has better % in every range (only slightly in 40-49).

fgssand said:
You need to include the tangible clutch performances of AV however, consistent success in overtime, playoffs and Superbowl cannot be ignored.

I know but it's not like we know that Longwell chokes in clutch situations. I don't think he's ever had the opportunity.

Adam makes more than that extra $500-$1m staying here. In the long-run financials he needs NE more than NE needs him.

Keep the sentimentality out of it and the Pats can remain contenders.

huskeralk said:
I know but it's not like we know that Longwell chokes in clutch situations. I don't think he's ever had the opportunity.

True, I think his deal prety much sets the market however. If you give me as much as 500/M for Mr Clutch (AV) Vs. Mr probably would be almost as clutch (RL). Now, give me another 500/M for AV's endorsements, then, Dallas or Green Bay will have to be at 3MM to buy AV. That is 1MM more than RL's deal and hopefully will not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back