PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I say Our Game Plan is to RUN on them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats will not have success on Jets in running game...Jets are very good vs. the run...starts with the LBs Harris and Scott....

If you want to say our game plan in terms of offense then let's start with a very big key. finding ways to protect Brady and release the TE's. If our line and rb's can pick up the pressure then Tom will have a field day. We'll run on them enough to keep them honest ... Woodhead will be more of a passing option than a receiving option ... not a bad check down option at all IMO.

Is there a record for check down receptions/yardage ... :cool::cool::cool:.

I think we'll be able to run on them, but I don't think the game plan will revolve around it. The game plan will revolve around Brady and the short, quick passing game. IMO, we'll run it like we did against the Steelers: just enough to be effective and keep the defense honest.

Couldn't have put it better.

The Pats will not have success on Jets in running game...Jets are very good vs. the run...starts with the LBs Harris and Scott....

Steelers only allow 64 yards a game over 11 games, we managed 103. Minnesota only allow 92 yards a game, we managed 120..... I'm confident we will manage to move the ball on the ground and not replay the Charger game a few weeks ago.

Apparently the Patriots weren't supposed to be able to run on the Steelers either? What were the stats from that game as a memory refresher?

These teams know each other...the Jets will now fall for stuff...play to their strength and see what happens...bottom line is Jets will pressure Brady first...stop the run second

The firs post in this thread is advocating that the Patriots actively try to run on the Jets as the primary form of gaining yardage on offense. I merely stated that if we take this approach it would be extremely difficult for us to move the ball effectively. You really think that the Steelers game is a good example of the Patriots coming out intent on pounding the ball like the OP suggests? If so, I'm sorry, but you are clearly misremembering what happened in that game.

The only way we can run effectively against a defensive front as good as the Jets' is if we can open it up through the passing game. The Steelers game is living proof of that, and so is the Vikings game and the Lions game, for that matter. As soon as the passing game started clicking, we all of a sudden started running the ball. I can't remember a single time when we came out intent on running the football right out of the gate and managed to get it done. And that's not even taking into account the fact that a lot of the yardage we get on the ground comes when running out of passing formations.

Bottom line: this Patriots team has yet to show they can just line up and run on anybody (except for maybe the Colts), I don't see how it would benefit them to try this out on a stout Jets' defense.

You're making ridiculous statements. The Steelers are the best run-stopping team and we hung 103 yards on them, then 168 on the Colts, and 109 on the Lions.

We ARE going to start out by running against the Jets- not because we want to establish the run game.. that's one dimensional and is equally as harmful as staying with the passing game for the most part, but because we want to keep them off-balance with the run, short past, and 3 step quick slants.

We were very unbalanced, and one dimensional the first time we played them, putting up only 41 yards. It's no wonder we lost that game.

Did the Patriots run on the Steelers or not?

We did and nobody on this board is willing to admit that the Steelers were missing 2 starting defensive linemen. I love the Pats and all, but ************ people, stop looking at the world through homer colored glasses. The Steelers game is a terrible, terrible example.

We did and nobody on this board is willing to admit that the Steelers were missing 2 starting defensive linemen. I love the Pats and all, but ************ people, stop looking at the world through homer colored glasses. The Steelers game is a terrible, terrible example.

Since you're such an expert, tell us how missing 2 DL killed the Steelers run-stopping ability.

I can't see the patriots just lining up and running it down the jets throats. The pats can do damage with the running game if the passing game is clicking and the runs are disguised. The pats can not win that battle in the trenches.

You probably didn't see your team get *****-slapped and giving up a season high 45 points to us either.

Congratulations. You almost lost to Shaun hill until Alphonso smith single handedly gave you the game

He didn't give up 45 points all by himself, and he didn't throw two interceptions.

Congratulations. You almost lost to Shaun hill until Alphonso smith single handedly gave you the game

I don't see how winning by 21 points qualify as "almost."

The firs post in this thread is advocating that the Patriots actively try to run on the Jets as the primary form of gaining yardage on offense. I merely stated that if we take this approach it would be extremely difficult for us to move the ball effectively. You really think that the Steelers game is a good example of the Patriots coming out intent on pounding the ball like the OP suggests? If so, I'm sorry, but you are clearly misremembering what happened in that game.

The only way we can run effectively against a defensive front as good as the Jets' is if we can open it up through the passing game. The Steelers game is living proof of that, and so is the Vikings game and the Lions game, for that matter. As soon as the passing game started clicking, we all of a sudden started running the ball. I can't remember a single time when we came out intent on running the football right out of the gate and managed to get it done. And that's not even taking into account the fact that a lot of the yardage we get on the ground comes when running out of passing formations.

Bottom line: this Patriots team has yet to show they can just line up and run on anybody (except for maybe the Colts), I don't see how it would benefit them to try this out on a stout Jets' defense.
I must be missing something or you're trying to support a flimsy argument.

First possession
Pass 7
Pass 4
Pass 12
Rush 17
Pass 10
Rush 1
Pass - incomplete
Pass - 19T

Score 7-0

Second Possession
Pass 10
Rush 5
Pass 17
Pass 1
Pass - incomplete
Pass 11
Pass 7 -penalty Chop block
Rush 2
Rush 3

Pass 12
Field Goal 31

Score 10-0

Third Possession
Pass 9
Pass 26
Pass 10
Pass incomplete
Pass incomplete
Pass incomplete
Punt

Fourth Possession
Pass 10
Pass incomplete
Pass 6
Rush 2
Punt

Score 10-3

Fifth Possession
Pass 12
Pass incomplete
Pass 4
Pass incomplete
Punt

End quarter 2 - Score 10-3

Sixth Possession
Pass 7 yards
Rush 13
Rush 2
Pass 16
Rush 2
Pass 13
Rush 2
Pass 13
Rush 1
Pass 9TD

Score 17-3

Seventh Possession
Pass 1 - offensive holding
Pass -3
Pass incomplete
Pass incomplete
Punt

Eighth Possession
Pass incomplete
Pass 45
Pass 16
Rush 7
Rush 8

Pass 6
Rush 3TD

Score 24-3

Ninth Possession
Rush 13
Rush 1

Pass 12
Pass incomplete
Pass intentional grounding
Pass 5
Punt

Score 24-10.

Tenth Possession
Rush 5
Pass 6
Rush 3
Rush 2

Pass 25T

Score 36-18

Eleventh Possession
Rush 3 - defensive holding
Rush 1
Rush 4
Rush 2

FG 36

Score 39-26

The Patriots have proven that with a balance between the passing and rushing game they can run the ball and run it effectively. Because of our offensive philosophy with the short passing game and putting the ball in Brady's hands, it's folly to suggest the team is anything but rush capable. It is clear as day that the pass and the rush both affect each other for the Patriots.

I just love how factions of the Patriots fans call for perspective and say you can't use the Steelers game or you can't use the Minnesota game as an example. I'm fairly certain that those games are part of the 16 game regular season schedule and the Patriots performed well in both.

I'll see the Patriots in rose colored glassed where I want too and I'll see them in Chicken Little glasses where I want to. The team can pass, it can run and it can force turnovers on defense.

Suffer in your jocks.

Last edited:
If any of you think this team can line up and run on the Jets you are insane. This game will be won or lost by Tom Brady. It really is that simple.

Parcells used to have the NE offense run directly at Bruce Smith to neutralize the blitz.

Parcells used to have the NE offense run directly at Bruce Smith to neutralize the blitz.

Wasn't this done against Bryce Paup as well? I have a vague memory of a much-hyped night game where a great game plan made him a non-factor.

Last edited:
If you want to say our game plan in terms of offense then let's start with a very big key. finding ways to protect Brady and release the TE's. If our line and rb's can pick up the pressure then Tom will have a field day. We'll run on them enough to keep them honest ... Woodhead will be more of a passing option than a receiving option ... not a bad check down option at all IMO.

Is there a record for check down receptions/yardage ... :cool::cool::cool:.

Yes, at the bottom of this link

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | RUNNING BACKS 2010

Balance? Counting up til the score was 20-3 (since its pretty stupid to keep throwing with that big a lead) the ratio of pass to run is 36:13. That's as lopsided as it gets, and this was with a lead. Teams usually have that kind of pass-dominated offense when trailing.

Don't kid yourself, the pats running game exists because teams must respect the pass.
Once more a moron from the bleachers parades in professing to know more about the Patriots scheming then people who have watched them religiously for the better part of decades.

If you're acutely unaware of Brady vs the Steelers secondary and the notion of play action and the need to respect it them I'm sorry for floating a concept above your pay grade.

For the record, our running backs had 6 receptions for 58 yards and 24 carries (1 for Brady) for 103 yards (1 TD for Brady).

Last edited:
If any of you think this team can line up and run on the Jets you are insane. This game will be won or lost by Tom Brady. It really is that simple.

Dont look now, but Benny Green Ellis is ranked 1st in the NFL with a success rate of 59%. 3rd overall.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | RUNNING BACKS 2010

NE can run the ball and the way things are falling in place for the Pats, it would not surprise me to see Fred Taylor bust off some nice runs. Everyone is writing him off.

Last edited:
The Jets are a completley overrated 9-2 team. They probably should be 6-5 or 7-4 at this point, as 3 of their wins were basically giftwrapped to them by HOU CLE and DET.

With the possible exception of week 2, have they looked like a remotely scary team at any time this year? Anyone catch the Green Bay game? Not just 9-zip, but an epically forehead-slapping humiliation. Yes, every team lays a complete egg now and then, but the NE Patriots DO NOT get shut out. At home. Period.

NE is a completely different team than the one that was spanked in Week 2--a team that had absolutely no running game, no cohesion whatsoever in the passing game with a distracted Moss, a still-gimpy Welker, plus 2 rookie (3 completely new) TE's, plus Brandon Tate, making for a frustrated Tom Brady playing anything but MVP caliber football. Add to that a young defense not even close to gelling yet, with a secondary and D-line in complete disarray and your Mike playing in his second NFL game.

The difference that 9 or so weeks (plus getting Deon Branch and Danny Woodhead) has made to this team is like night and day. Jets, on the other hand, have been in neutral, if not moving in the opposite direction this whole time. BB has had almost 2 weeks to prepare and absent Brady (not Sanchez) having a completely nightmarish game, Pats win it going away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey