PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I really think Joey Porter may have brain damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
LOL! The guy chastises the media for taking his quotes out of context on Cassel and the Patriots and then goes on to prove that they DIDN'T take his qoutes out of context in the first place. From the Sun-Sentinel:

"You all took my quote around and turned it into something else,'' Porter said Thursday. "What questions you all going to ask me today that you're just going to make sound different?''

He was then asked, "What's easier about getting to Cassel?''

"Same thing I said the other day, he's no Tom Brady. That was documented,'' Porter said. "If you play against any backup you're coming after him just like if we played Buffalo and they put in their backup we're coming after them.

"[Brady] had 50 touchdown passes last year. You're asking a guy who hasn't played that many snaps to do what Brady did. It's not going to happen. When we played them last year Jason [Allen] got a pick and they were blowing us out and they put Tom back in. Like I said, he's not Brady.

"For us, we want to attack him the same way. I just don't think he could play on the same high level that Brady plays. If he does, Brady wouldn't be started. He would be starting. Would you rather go against Brady or Cassel? You would rather go against Cassel if you were on defense, right? OK, that's what we'd rather do. We're getting Cassel instead of Brady, and I like our chances against Cassel.''

Joey Porter won't back down on Matt Cassel comments -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Porter brain damage...hmmm. I think you may be stating the obvious :D

I feel kind of dirty defending Porter but I do not think the point he seems to be trying to make is that outlandish. He is not media savvey. He is hot headed. But, Cassel is not Brady and Cassel is a back up QB. So, when asked about the strategy on playing against Cassel he pretty much said they will attack him just like they would attack any other back up QB with limited experience.

Does he feel better facing Cassel instead of Brady? Ofcourse he does. I would too.

This is the other reason the Steelers didn't re-sign him...

Deteriorating physical skills and brain dead...I guess he hasn't noticed that Jason and that brother in law of his aren't Dolphins any more - they got rid of all the remotely functional talent on D with any value as part of the rebuild...

I'm surprised Tuna's kept him, must be a cap thing. Gonna chap him some as this season unfolds though.

(Yup, 2 years into $20M guaranteed...they be stuck with old Joey a while longer...LOL)

They have an error in the quote. Porter is referencing Jason Taylor when he's talking about the interception. Notable because it really was a terrible pass Cassel threw in that game to give him an easy pick-six.

Does he feel better facing Cassel instead of Brady? Ofcourse he does. I would too.

I mean, I agree with you....Of course he'd rather face Cassel, but why the hell would you actually say that to the press? To me, that is where the stupidity comes in..

I mean, I agree with you....Of course he'd rather face Cassel, but why the hell would you actually say that to the press? To me, that is where the stupidity comes in..

I follow what you are saying but do I mind that there are players out there that will answer a question truthfully? What dioes that say about us as a society when we are all expected to lie to the media

Do the Dolphins have a better chance of defeating the Patriots with Cassel at QB instead of Brady? Yes.

Is it a good idea to publicly declare this against a team long noted for taking that kind of stuff personally? No.

Verdict: Porter probably should have kept his mouth shut.

I feel kind of dirty defending Porter but I do not think the point he seems to be trying to make is that outlandish. He is not media savvey. He is hot headed. But, Cassel is not Brady and Cassel is a back up QB. So, when asked about the strategy on playing against Cassel he pretty much said they will attack him just like they would attack any other back up QB with limited experience.

This isn't the stuff that bothers me, really. It's, "It'll be good to go out there and get our first victory" that trips my moron detector.

And, "It shouldn't be that hard."

Last edited:
I follow what you are saying but do I mind that there are players out there that will answer a question truthfully? What dioes that say about us as a society when we are all expected to lie to the media

If I had more time on my hands I'd go through the old threads to see what we were all saying about Plaxico Burress in February.

We all know how that turned out.

There are several things wrong with what Porter did.

First, he called out the media for misquoting him and then validated them by basically regeritating the same message he claimed he never said.

Second, you shouldn't be talking about a member of the team you are about to face that way to the press no matter if it is true or not especially when you play for one of the worst, untalented teams in the league. It is poor sportsmanship and it only can backfire in your face.

Third, he was considered a bubble player this preseason. What gives him the right to criticize another player when he was this close to being cut himself. Most of the people around the league are thinking to themselves that Porter is too slow, really can't play at a high level anymore, and is more trouble than he is worth. But no one is saying that publically especially the week of when they are going to play the Dolphins.

He'd rather face a guy with 1 start since high school than face the best quarterback in the NFL. Anyone who thinks that's something he needed to leave unsaid should really ask themselves why.

Last edited:
What he is saying is true and EVERY NFL player would feel the same way....

Brady is better than Cassel
The opposing team has a better chance to win if Cassel is in there
Cassel is not Brady
Defenses want Cassel in there instead of Brady

BUT

You don't mouth it off to the media - Thats where being a jerkoff stands out from those who just keep it to themselves or only among their teammates and NOT leaked out to the media.

Last edited:
What he is saying is true and EVERY NFL player would feel the same way....

Brady is better than Cassel
The opposing team has a better chance to win if Cassel is in there
Cassel is not Brady
Defenses want Cassel in there instead of Brady

BUT

You don't mouth it off to the media - Thats where being a jerkoff stands out from those who just keep it to themselves or only among their teammates and NOT leaked out to the media.

Not every player is going to spout inane non-response responses. For that, we should be thanking players like Porter and Favre. Instead, we insult them every time they actually tell the truth to the media.

This is sports, not global espionage.

This morning a Harrison interview was on NECN. He was asked about Porter and his comments and he went on to say how Porter is a high energy guy and a great player. He had nothing but praise for him. I suppose he could have told the truth and said that he has lost so many steps that his jaw now moves faster than his feet and that with Taylor and Thomas gone the team will be a pushover. Somehow I think those would have been the wrong things to say.

Yeah, and I would rather have sex with Megan Fox than the woman I ultimately end up talking to at the bar tonight. Should I tell this woman that when I meet her tonight?

Obviously, facing one of the best QB of all time would be a lot tougher than facing a guy who last week had his first start since high school 9 years ago. Why state that to the press though? Why reiterate it the next day?

Last edited:
This morning a Harrison interview was on NECN. He was asked about Porter and his comments and he went on to say how Porter is a high energy guy and a great player. He had nothing but praise for him. I suppose he could have told the truth and said that he has lost so many steps that his jaw now moves faster than his feet and that with Taylor and Thomas gone the team will be a pushover. Somehow I think those would have been the wrong things to say.

Why would they have been the wrong things to say? It would have added spice to a game against a terrible Miami team.

If I had more time on my hands I'd go through the old threads to see what we were all saying about Plaxico Burress in February.

We all know how that turned out.

This is turning into a different discussion for me I think. I do not think I have ever had bad feelings towards a player that talks about winning to the media. I appreciate the player that gives an honest answer. What I do not like are the complainers after a game. Plaxico comments before the SB were fine with me and in the end they won (by a score very close to his prediction if I remember correctly). We can agree to disagree i think but I am happy for honest answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes