PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I really miss WWW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm let me think -

Year 1 - $9.4M (franchise tag)
Years 2 and 3 - $10M plus 5 levels of incentives

Total $19.4+ is not very far off the WW camp comfort level at $20M, with more guaranteed through the franchise tag.

Maybe not the way either side wanted it structured but enough to say it wasn't low balling since the Broncos offer was so close (and without them having to pay the heavy fee up front).

Why on God's Earth would you expect the player to count an already played year, under the franchise tag (with absolutely no future injury protection as a result) as part of his deal? Just how stupid do you think the players are required to be, and just how much screwing of the players do you think the owners should be doing?

Seriously, some of you really need to think about why you allow yourself such bizarre notions of what you must force yourself to accept in order to be your definition of a fan.

If you are referring to offering generally indefensible opinion, I suppose you're right. ;)

No, I'm referring to countering your load of absolute bull.

I don't think "logic" is the proper word in this case. ;)

So much irony. So little time.

And on that note, I'm done with this thread. The blind homers are blind because they wish to be, not because of ignorance. It's sad that they don't mind being as pathetic as the Ray Rays of the world in these types of situations, but it is what it is. This waste of time accomplished just that wasting, but now appointments require that I head out.

Y'all are welcome to keep pretending that the guy being asked to take something like a $4m salary cut after a 118 reception season was the problem. Most people live in the real world and realize just how ridiculous that position is.

No, I'm referring to countering your load of absolute bull.

If you truly are a lawyer and these lines of thinking get one past the bar exam, I think I would've breezed through law school.

And on that note, I'm done with this thread. The blind homers are blind because they wish to be, not because of ignorance. It's sad that they don't mind being as pathetic as the Ray Rays of the world in these types of situations, but it is what it is. This waste of time accomplished just that wasting, but now appointments require that I head out.

Y'all are welcome to keep pretending that the guy being asked to take something like a $4m salary cut after a 118 reception season was the problem. Most people live in the real world and realize just how ridiculous that position is.

Translation....... Anyone that doesn't agree with me is a blind homer and therefore an irresponsible "fan". :rolleyes:

Look, I profese to being a homer.... but am open to reasonable arguments. I think that the Patriots offered him pretty much exactly what his "market value" was. He accepted an equal deal (or even lessor if you believe RK) to play somewhere else. That's football.

He had his reasons...... Patriots {smartly IMO} didn't wait on his agent and when they felt they had to pull the trigger on another player rather then lose out on all fronts (like they did with Branch years ago). It's smart football policy, and one of the reasons this team has been successful for so many years.

Sure, we can all disagree on certain management moves/plays, but just always assuming management is wrong and out to screw the "players" is absurd. Negotiations are a two way street. Sure the Patriots could have done more to keep WW here, but at the same time........ WW would still be a Patriot if he wanted to be (and making the same money). No amount of name-calling and blustering will change that fact.

It takes 2 to tango.

Lol. So, NE's 2/$10 offer is "ridiculous" when the guy eventually signed for 2/$12, you say?

Yeah, don't let the door hit you on the way out, there pal....

Yeah that Danny Amendola sure has some BIG shoes to fill....well probably size 6's...but you get the point.... :))

Why on God's Earth would you expect the player to count an already played year, under the franchise tag (with absolutely no future injury protection as a result) as part of his deal? Just how stupid do you think the players are required to be, and just how much screwing of the players do you think the owners should be doing?.

I didn't say I expected him to count it - I was only pointing out that at the end of the day what he got in 2012 plus his 2 year offer in the off season amounted to much of what his team was prepared to take earlier.

He gladly took top 5 WR receiver money when the market shows that slot receivers don't receive as much. I dont blame him for doing that at all, but it should not be portrayed that he was being low balled. In the end some blame needs to go to both parties for failing to agree.

Seriously, some of you really need to think about why you allow yourself such bizarre notions of what you must force yourself to accept in order to be your definition of a fan.

Unnecessary comment; however it is your opinion, to which you are entitled.

That was hard for me to watch Welker on the Broncos last night. I was kind of rooting for and against him at the same time.

Exactly how I feel. I want him to succeed, but I don't want him to either, and it galls me that the Pats are responsible for making Peyton Manning better. I can just see it in the playoffs - WWW making the catch for Peytie Pie that he couldn't make for us, and sticking a fork in us. Sigh.

I'm not sure why there is a need to identify a 'problem'.
What Welker wanted to and what the Patriots were willing to offer were not congruent.
He could have accepted their offer, they could have agreed to pay him more. Both sides were not willing to.
What Welker did while in a Patriot uniform is not really relevant to the decision about the future for either side, other than its ability to forecast the future. It seems the Patriots clearly concluded that the evidence they had said his future value would decline. It is their job to make that decision.

I wanted Welker back. I also recognized that during the contract he will not be what we was. I am not so ignorant as to pretend that I have enough knowledge of the financial landscape of the cap now and in the future to know every consideration that went into that decision.

As an obtuse message board 'lawyer' I can scream about how stupid the team was. As a thinking person, I realize my opinion is based on a percentage of the data and facts needed to make that decision that is less than 100% by a fair amount, including coaching the player for 6 years, witnessing phtsical decline or lack thereof, and the impact of the beatinghe has taken in those 6 years.

Or I could just complain that everyone who disagrees with me must either be ignorant or intellectually dishonest, because how else could they possibly disagree with me. :rolleyes:

Yeah that Danny Amendola sure has some BIG shoes to fill....well probably size 6's...but you get the point.... :))

That Judas better not be still getting the NE Patriots discount on uggs for men.
;)

Good thread. I miss him too.

Y'all are welcome to keep pretending that the guy being asked to take something like a $4m salary cut after a 118 reception season was the problem.

I know you're gone, but again with this nonsense? The $4m "pay cut" he took was the contract he actually agreed to, because that's what his market ended up being. Seriously, you're telling me he should have gotten $10m per from the Patriots when no one else was willing to give him more than $6m? That would be idiotic and irresponsible of the Patriots, and would cause me to question them FAR more than I do for what actually happened.

I think deep down Welker was filled with shame for dropping passes in the Superbowl and wanted out of NE and a chance to begin anew.

That was hard for me to watch Welker on the Broncos last night. I was kind of rooting for and against him at the same time.

I agree. I like to watch old games and watching Welker play was a joy. He was always there and would bail out the team, time after time. And he would take a huge hit, get right back up and keep playing. I have no idea what Amendola will do but I hope he does well. At the same time, Wes Welker was a good player on this team.

Welker is such a stubby little guy with a tiny catching radius. I think the pats will be better off without him. I may be wrong. If Amendola is healthy he'll be better.

Somebody miss their binkie? There's a game on Sunday! Do your job!

Attachments

• Belichick is not happy.jpg
    Belichick is not happy.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 37
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back