PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I need to VENT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once question that is bugging me is WHY does BB not have confidence in Gostkowski? I mean the kid hasn't really given us any reason to think he sucks. I don't have as much confidence in him as I did in Vinatieri but then again Vinatieri missed 2 FG's in SB 38 so he's not perfect either.

48 yards in dome, I don't care if Welker kicks it, you have to try when faced with 4th and 13.

While few on this board believe it, the simple answer is usually the correct one.

His last appearance on the field he messed his pants under the Super Bowl glare and sent a kick-off way out of bounds. BB probably decided he was melting under the SB spotlight. I'm willing to bet Fg never entered his mind - it was go for it or punt.

I disagree McD tried everything, in fact, it looked like for a while they were just stubbornly trying to have their way. They didn't give the OL any help or leave Brady any extra protection. And they didn't try the power formation that worked so well against the Chargers.

They didn't bring Sprach.

YOU FORGOT ONE IMPORTANT THING..... i was hoping to shutup that jack-ass Mercury Morris forever.... now we have to wait till next year or until he dies

Yeah, 18-1. They're just total dog crap.

I'll just say we got outplayed and outcoached. The O-line particularly was not up to the task. Brady probably couldn't buy the extra 1/2 or 1/4 second that might have made some plays, owing to the ankle. We had some drops. The all-out blitz that allowed the Plax TD baffles me too. But it wouldn't, had it worked. One thing Coughlin said really clicked in place for me: "we didn't really use all the blitz packages in the first game, we were saving some for the playoffs."

Now I don't see our team as simple-minded enough to believe they'd seen it all from the Giants -- but maybe there was some of that. Maybe they thought they'd taken the best shot the Giants had, and that this time it would be a walk. Well, it seems like both teams resolved not to give up points in the 30s. Remember Plax's prediction? If you think back, maybe that was THE point for the Giants, to actually have the temerity to keep the Pats score down (not "outscore them in a shootout.") With our O, it seemed like a fool's errand, before the game. But then again, so does winning the shootout.

Regardless, the underneath stuff, in a vacuum, doesn't do what intermediate-to-long passes do for you, and you need time for those. Drives stalled. When we had to make the stops, we didn't. We kept them to 10 points most of the game, but 17 was too many (thanks, Asante. Thanks, Eli Houdini...)

I don't think you go after guys after this loss. You let it sink in, and you move on. So okay, we have to vent, just like you had to vent about "glass" Maroney. Hell, that's not even fair. You make some good points but they're distorted (for instance, the 3 TE set wasn't there.)

BB made the decisions he thought were right, and for the first time in a long time, he ended up wrong on a lot of them, at least in hindsight (i.e., the 45 yard field goal non-try.) For the first time in a long time, we didn't "find a way to win," we didn't "capitalize on their mistakes."

THat's something worth noting: As David in 2001, we emphasized mistake-free football. Don't try to be great. Don't try to rock the world. You won't win. Beat them a little at a time, hang in there, and when the other guy makes a mistake, POUNCE on it every time.

As Goliath, it was more like: maybe we can put them away. Wait, no. Holy crap they're getting to the QB. Hey, they're doing it again. This isn't supposed to happen. Okay let's try throwing downfield again, maybe we can put them away...

And then, there were opportunities... but by then we weren't getting the best of the POUNCE moment, for whatever reason. Call it a coincidence, or call it being Goliath, thinking there was ALWAYS another chance. Well, there is always another chance, until the clock reads 0:00.

I dunno. It seems to me we can analyze this crap eight ways from Sunday, and what we'll come down to is a lot of what we SHOULD have done... and all that might boil down to is, we SHOULD have been sharp and hungry Sunday, like NY was.

I'm sure somebody will immediately fire back, we WERE sharp and hungry you dunce, but Josh McDaniels is the anti-christ. Huh. Wonder how he set the league record for points scored then.

I just don't have much heart for the post-mortem. Maybe in a week. Right now, it seems like the Giants just plain beat us, and we should bloody well admit it... so we can close the door and LOCK it on the next clowns that get in our way in a post-season. This makes 3 years that trophy's been er misplaced...

PFnV

They only got one turnover and when you're getting your QB killed in 4 wide 5 wide is naturally the way to go...as any idiot will tell you.

Then I guess Steve Grogan is an idiot because that's exactly what he recommended in his column today.

Since when do we punt on 4th and 2 near the middle of the field!?!?!

I was also like WTF at that decision. Despite the shoddy OL play, the Pats O was still moving the ball on the Giants. Then momentum wouild be stalled by some stupid playcalling by McDaniels. This game was lost in the first half and in our first possession in the 3rd qtr. because McDaniels simply refused to adjust to stop the Giants pressure and made the Pats formations way too predictable. The Giants are a one dimensional defense and should have never been allowed to be successful using just that element on a team as talented offensively as the Pats. The Colts would have put up 50 pts last night and it's laughable that the Pats only came up with 14.

Gost was not kicking great in warmups. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. He drilled a few from the 40 and the 45, but he shanked a couple too. He tried one from the 45 that was about 20 feet short and about 20 yards right. It was tough to watch. Tynes, on the other hand, was brilliant.

I expect that coaches watch that stuff and report to Belichick. Then he poked a kick off out of bounds. Has he done that all year? I expect Belichick believed he had little chance to make it, given all that. Maybe he's got an injury or something. Maybe he was just overwhelmed. He didn't really get many chances to kick under pressure this year.

Okay. Makes the choice more reasonable because I thought the FG should have been attempted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back