PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I need some specific evidence of the Colts running up the score...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kappy

Rookie
Reaction score
I just made a wager with a co-worker, who said that Tony Dungy teams never run up the score by throwing touchdowns late in games. I thought I saw a thread with some specific details of this a few weeks ago, but could not find it.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated (gets me a free lunch at The Captial Grill).

I just made a wager with a co-worker, who said that Tony Dungy teams never run up the score by throwing touchdowns late in games. I thought I saw a thread with some specific details of this a few weeks ago, but could not find it.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated (gets me a free lunch at The Captial Grill).

I recall a few games in '04 that I took exception to at the time. Detroit springs to mind. Manning had like what, six TDs in that game?

Since that time the Patriots have started hanging a ton of points on fools, so I've softened in my stance. I'm now one of the "It's the defense's job to stop it!" people.

Every team has "run up the score" at some point or other. Just look at some '04 box scores where the Colts put up 50+ points.

I looked at those games, and unfortuantely, the Colts sprinted to an early lead and didn't score much (if at all) in the 4th quarter.... doesn't really help my case.

Week 10, 2004: 4th Quarter.

Indy 42
Houston 7

Houston turns the ball over on downs after after an incomplete pass from David Carr to Jabar Gaffney on 4th and 4.

1st and 10: Manning throws to Harrison; incomplete
2nd and 10: Manning throws to Harrison for 13 yards
1st and 10: Manning throws to Wayne for 12 yards
1st and 10: Manning throws to Pollard INTERCEPTED by Peek

There are several obvious differences between this and the 2007 New England Patriots.

1. New England would have taken Brady out of the game. (Peyton was never taken out)
2. New England would have considered running the ball.
3. Tom Brady would never have thrown that interception.

I don't have any problem with Indy trying to score points in this situation, but its funny how their fans claim that they never try to do this.

He Ban Me, who probably watched this game, is apparently claiming that because Peyton was intercepted, this doesn't constitute trying to run up the score. It wasn't a "4th quarter TD".

Perhaps we'll now hear about how Peyton deliberately threw that ball to the other team, thus clearly demonstrating his charitable nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back