PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I miss Ellis Hobbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I miss most about Hobbs is seeing the back of his jersey as he chased WR's down the sideline... ;)

Indeed. If I had the time, and cared enough, I'd get into the archives and pull up all the "Ellis Hobbs sucks" threads and the BB "needs to completely make over the secondary" threads from yesteryear.

I never really hated Hobbs like some do but I never saw him as anything more than a back up CB/JAG.

OK, I don't hate Hobbs. He was fine when he was here. I didn't want him traded for Ohrnberger.

HOWEVER, Hobbs is nowhere as good as our starters and may not be as good as our backups by year's end.

I still would have kept him as a returner and perhaps nickel.

I don't mean Antowain Smith ver. 2009, I mean running game ver. 2001-03.

How about our running game 08? We ran the ball good last year and can this year, they're more than capable the question is why arent they running more. I know we were playing catchup the first game but they were doing alright yesterday.

Last edited:
BINGO!

We have better running backs than last year with the addition of Taylor and a healthy Maroney.

We ran well in 2008.

What is the difference?

Well, the obvious difference is that last year's OC isn't here any longer. Certainly, we should be abandoning the run because we have an injured Brady at quarterback!

How about our running game 08? We ran the ball good last year and can this year, they're more than capable the question is why arent they running more. Maybe its the new OC. I know we were playing catchup the first game but they were doing alright yesterday.

Sure, I know many people hate Ellis Hobbs. And I know he coughed up a fumble on kick return duty for the Eagles yesterday. But he was one hell of a return man. I don't think anyone on the roster now even comes close.

Special teams killed the Pats yesterday.... The blocking/coverage was horrible, but a lot of it has to do with the guy returning the ball.

solution: sign Justin Miller.

watching Maroney/Faulk/Welker/Edelman return is painful.

Last edited:
Out of those names, I miss Antowain Smith the most. The Pats desperately need some semblance of a running game.

Not me I would pick Charlie Wiess, for this years team not overall.....

I miss Randy Vataha

How about our running game 08? We ran the ball good last year and can this year, they're more than capable the question is why arent they running more. I know we were playing catchup the first game but they were doing alright yesterday.

True, but a large part of that (>700 yards) was from Faulk and Cassel - i.e. draws and scrambles out of the shotgun. Not exactly stuff that's going to wear the defense down or open up the passing game.

Last edited:
I miss our D that used to be able to confuse even Peyton Manning. Ellis Hobbs, not so much....

it's the run BLOCKING imo not the RB that is the problem. BB has held on to these old o linemen for too long. The oline hasn't changed since 04', right?

The run blocking is not good, but they do not run enough for it to get better. And someone please explain to me why Taylor looked far more effective running behind the very same line Maroney was running behind.

Last edited:
The run blocking is not good, but they do not run enough for it to get better. And someone please explain to me why Taylor looked far more effective running behind the very same line Maroney was running behind.

taylor was in more of a spred and had some draw plays and for some reason every time they bring in maroney you just know when they are going to run the ball and if i can tell what the pats are going to run from a tv set

im sure thats coachs and players who do this for a liveing know whats going on

Sure, I know many people hate Ellis Hobbs. And I know he coughed up a fumble on kick return duty for the Eagles yesterday. But he was one hell of a return man. I don't think anyone on the roster now even comes close.

Special teams killed the Pats yesterday.... The blocking/coverage was horrible, but a lot of it has to do with the guy returning the ball.

you shut your mouth! lol shut it right there

As somebody who has defended Hobbs in the past, I'm not sure i understand this thread. You miss Hobbs after two weeks? Relax. The secondary will get better, and so will ST, and returns. No need to miss him, Vrabs, Sey, or anyone else at this point. Hell, the offense looked better with Cassel, but no one is missing him :eek:

I didn't say I would keep him. I just said I miss him. We don't have anyone that dynamic taking kickoffs right now. Period.

i get your point and agree. Neither Maroney nor Faulk nor Edelman are going to be as good on kickoff returns. Hobbs was always dangerous.

and yes, i do think he would be maybe our 5th CB this year....:eek:

-- FRITZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back