Welcome to PatsFans.com

I mean, HUH? WTF?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +572 / 6 / -2

Wow, I've seen some crumby articles, and some terrible angles, but WTF is this? Oh, shoot, violence is down, and far fewer people are dying, BUT THE CEMETARY WORKERS ARE MAKING LESS DAMMIT! :eek:

Of all the angles to take, and all of the issues to report, this one is truly, truly bizarre.

As violence falls in Iraq, cemetery workers feel the pinch

By Jay Price and Qasim Zein, McClatchy Newspapers
    Tue Oct 16, 2:40 PM ET

NAJAF, Iraq — At what's believed to be the world's largest cemetery, where Shiite Muslims aspire to be buried and millions already have been, business isn't good.

A drop in violence around Iraq has cut burials in the huge Wadi al Salam cemetery here by at least one-third in the past six months, and that's cut the pay of thousands of workers who make their living digging graves, washing corpses or selling burial shrouds.

"Certainly, when the number of dead increases I feel happy, like all workers in the graveyard," said Basim Hameed , 30, a body washer. "This happiness comes from the increase in the amount of money we have."

Death is something everyone must face, he noted. "My job demands death, and this is our fate, all of us."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/2...cemetery_attn_national_foreign_editors_ytop_1

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maybe they're just angling to join AFL-CIO :D

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

or maybe the damage is done, and everyone is either dead, left the country, or has been moved to the other side of the Tigris...

"you've created a desert and called it peace"