PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Love Ya BB, But.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murphys95 said:
I agree, play the best players you've got. I don't know of any stat that says a player is more likely to be injured at KR than at RB.

There is no stat. Oh, there might be. Who knows. But common sense says the more you're on the field, the greater your chance of injury. Playing on KR teams increases time on the field, and thus increases injury risk.

Is it that big of a deal? Probably not. But regardless, I wonder if all those lobbying to put front line players on STs would have an issue with Brady being on STs as well. Obviously he can't help the STs but for the sake of argument, lets say he could. Would you want him out there? Where is the cutoff?

SoonerPatriot said:
There is no stat. Oh, there might be. Who knows. But common sense says the more you're on the field, the greater your chance of injury. Playing on KR teams increases time on the field, and thus increases injury risk.

Is it that big of a deal? Probably not. But regardless, I wonder if all those lobbying to put front line players on STs would have an issue with Brady being on STs as well. Obviously he can't help the STs but for the sake of argument, lets say he could. Would you want him out there? Where is the cutoff?

I don't think that is a fair question because QB's just aren't built like other players. Ther bodies just aren't made to take hits, or give them. For the most part a QB gets injured far easier than a LB, RB, WR, or DB.

SoonerPatriot said:

Cutoff? I didn't mind Seymour as a lead blocker in short yardage situations. Tommy might perk up a bit if he can bust a few wedges. :)

As others have said, if he can't do the job, don't put him in there but it should be solely based on performance and not the concern of injury or fatigue.

Paul Posluszny is the best LB in college football. He tore his knee up in January and is still expected to be a top 10 draft pick. It would be a big time blow to that defense to lose him. However, through all this, he was on the punt team when I saw them two weeks ago and I'm sure he plays in other formations. Every extra play increases his chances of getting re-injured.

He's just one of many players that play several positions to maximize the talent on the field. I'm just not a big fan of being scared of injuries when a coach is trying to build a special teams depth chart.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Cutoff? I didn't mind Seymour as a lead blocker in short yardage situations. Tommy might perk up a bit if he can bust a few wedges. :)

How'd that work out the last time Seymour did that?

shmessy said:
How'd that work out the last time Seymour did that?
You mean like he started out so well in Training Camp this year? It's football, bring your best on every down or fuggetaboutit.

Anytime BB thinks starting a possession with a short field (time running down, behind in the score) is important, Maroney will be out there. Why not? Reggie Bush is.

zippo59 said:
Reportedly Jackson looked the least comfortable returning kicks of anyone they had do it during Traning Camp. He might have improved and gotten more comfortable since then but it is still worth noting.

Good point - returning punts isn't an easy task, rookie or not.

Kdo5 said:
Maroney is tough despite if he may not look it with his size. I dont think he does a great job with kick returns, I'd like to see Faulk back there with someone who isnt too fragile. Not saying Maroney is fragile or anything.

Currently, the Pats are averaging 24.7 yards per return. That ranks 11th currently in the league, but it would rank 3rd for last year. Maroney is averaging 24.8 yards per return. Better than anyone the Pats had last year who had more than 15 returns. Faulk is averaging 24.5 yards per return.

I think that our kick return blocking is somewhat better, but it definitely has something to do with Maroney.

I have no problem with Maroney back there. Nor do I have a problem with Faulk back there. And, as others have said, if Andrews could show, in practice, that he was better, he'd be out there.

This thread is simply about fans not placing the same value on special teams as they do on offense. Coaches tend to see that differently.

How come no one is saying - "I'm worried about him wearing down" or "I'm worried about him getting hurt" so we should reduce his carries to about 10-12 a game? He is probably equally if not more likely to wear down or get hurt with 10 guys falling on him 20 times a game when he runs the ball.

Maroney is the Pats best chance of breaking a big play. They are going to put the ball in his hands 20 times a game. Kick returns is just another way to do it.

DaBruinz said:
Currently, the Pats are averaging 24.7 yards per return. That ranks 11th currently in the league, but it would rank 3rd for last year. Maroney is averaging 24.8 yards per return. Better than anyone the Pats had last year who had more than 15 returns. Faulk is averaging 24.5 yards per return.

I think that our kick return blocking is somewhat better, but it definitely has something to do with Maroney.

I have no problem with Maroney back there. Nor do I have a problem with Faulk back there. And, as others have said, if Andrews could show, in practice, that he was better, he'd be out there.

The difference, of course, would be that Faulk is a 3rd down back and Maroney is sometimes used on first and second downs. Faulk can get a breather before he has to hit the field after a KR.

For the 0.3 yards per return difference (your stats), I would lean towards Faulk on KR's.

Other than the one 39 yard return Sunday, Maroney looks like his is tiptoeing on a waterbed out there on KR's. Very tentative, almost Patrick Pass-like on KR's so far. What's the harm in seeing what Willie Andrews can do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back