PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Love our Front 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absent injuries, who do all will get serious reps after the top nine?
Ninkovich, Jones, Sheard
Brown, Easley, Siliga
Collins, Mayo, Hightower

TEN MAN CORE FRONT SEVEN
DE: Often the #3 doesn't get many reps. He will this year.
DT: Won't three get most of the reps.
LB: We average 2.2 LB's on the field. The #4 won't play much absent injuries.
backups we can trust: Flowers

I call bullsh*t....

Lol...please tell us you're not putting Mayo in Lewis' category. I think there are plenty of linebackers active that are much better than Mayo....but that's just an opinion.

Got any "number of stuffs" links?

Anyone that disagrees is going to have provide proof.

A couple of popular NFL sites have Mayo ranked #11 and #12 among linebackers. Granted that's pretty good, but he's coming off a major injury so we'll have to wait.

http://www.fftoday.com/rankings/playerrank.php?o=2&PosID=60

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000364362/article/luke-kuechly-tops-2014-list-of-nfls-best-lbs

Interesting discussion about Mayo and stopping the run. To me, it's all a down and distance situational thing. MLB is the one position that has to adapt on every play to down, distance and the opponent's personnel. The MLB plays it completely different against Adrian Peterson as compared to Peyton Manning, regardless of down and distance.

The "run stuff" stat is questionable if you ask me. First, on short and 3rd, or short and 4th down, the offense is going to run behind their best blocker or away from the best defenders. A guy could be the best run stuffer in the world but won't get stats because the opponent never runs at him.

When he was healthy, Mayo was among the best at covering the entire field and had every bit Luke Kuechly's instinct to get to the guy with the football. It remains to be seen if Mayo, coming off a torn patella tendon injury, can be as mobile as he once was. It's good to know that there are so many young fast guys around him, but he'll be a big factor if he stays healthy in 2015.

Tonight will give us our first impression of the DL in a situation that is as close to a real game as it gets for another 2 weeks. I am very intrigued.

The Pats' front 7 has a ton of potential, but it's hard to say how good they will be in the near term. The LB corps is outstanding. I hope they can really generate a major pass rush on a consistent basis, because I fear the DBs will struggle.

For me Dominique Easley was drafted to be a major penetrating force on the D-Line (not necessarily for his rookie year) and a healthy Easley who lives up to his pre-draft billing could be a huge addition.

Yeah, he's the guy that could push this D up another notch. Not hearing great things, but here's hopin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes