Welcome to PatsFans.com

I like Paul Volcker:

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Run DMC, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Run DMC

Run DMC In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -3

#24 Jersey

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Although I think the Fed as an entity is pretty shady, I agree with you regarding volker. He's old, but I think now is the time to re-establish "old-school" thinking in America.

Conservatism and prudence in gov't spending and the business community.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  3. Run DMC

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -3

#24 Jersey

I really hope he becomes our next Treasury secy., after King Paulson is dethroned.

4. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0

we need whoever has the balls to stand up and say "we will have a recession, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. You may lose your job, but we aren't bailing out an industry that can't survive on it's own." If he's that guy, I'm all for him.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

The hope is that our car manufacturers would be able to survive on their own starting in 2010 when the UAW takes over health benefits. I have no clue if they will but the plan is to get them to there if you believe they'll make it after that.

6. Run DMC

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -3

#24 Jersey

Here's an insane idea: How about national health insurance for all with controlled costs? We wouldn't be in this mess with the big 3, as well as the rest of businesses in the USA, if that had been put into effect 30 years ago. It would actually help us to be more competitive. I guess it takes too much intelligence for the average commie-fearing mouth breather to comprehend that.

7. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0

I'm not entirely in disagreement with the idea that the UAW is a culprit here. But until I see the same analysis of executive salaries in the American v. foreign auto industry I have trouble pinning it on the "greedy unions" since that's been the same traditional scapegoat for every economic problem amongst the right. And you also have to consider other factors in America which may drive UAW members wages up that wouldn't for workers abroad (healthcare etc.). I still stand by the same fundamental principle that the American auto industry has made inferior, gas-guzzling cars that have crippled them as gas prices rose.

8. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0

exactly. Right wingers love to say "raising taxes on corporations will shift the burden onto the consumer." Well, the converse is true also: eliminating tax revenue for basic human needs will shift the burden onto employers. It's just basic common sense.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +572 / 6 / -2

How does national health care, with controlled costs, work exactly?

10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

The gov't tells the hospital or doctor "here's how much we pay you for x, y & z" and that's that. Everybody gets the same treatment for same dollars no matter where you go. American citizens only.

11. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

That's fine until you need a surgery or procedure out of the norm and no doctor can/will do it for what the government will pay. National health care may improve health care for some but it also dumbs it down for a good group of people.

12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

American citizens only? Well, there goes all the ground gained for the hispanic vote.

13. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

What about at least nationalizing preventative healthcare, entitling everybody to avail themselves and their families of regular check ups and everything that goes with that like labs,Xrays,education by professionals,etc?

Maybe even nationalizing home healthcare-visiting nurses and therapists etc.

Maybe that way there'd be more early treatment possibly avoiding expensive and involved surgeries and prolonged hospitalizations. Here in MA proof of healthcare insurance is mandatory, though the only aspect of insurance that's required is for hospitalization. Granted that's the most expensive aspect but there are a lot of people, especially young people, who opt only for that type insurance therefore their well checkups are few and far between. Seems backwards to me:confused: