PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I like our WR's.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I really do. I think Gabriel can be something special, and obviously, we all feel Jackson will be something special when he is healthy. Troy Brown:we all know what he brings to the table, he is more of a possesion receiver, but we all know how clutch he is. He's no longer the gamebreaker, but if we need a 10+ yard td reception, I feel comfortable with him (obviously, so does Brady). Jabbar Gaffney, well, I've seen him play, and I feel he is definately an upgrade over Caldwell, though he will probably play behind Caldwell until he catches up (pardon the pun) on our playbook. Caldwell, well, he's not great, but serviceable. These 5 are a nice group, can it be upgraded ? Sure, but I think they can get it done, and wait until the draft (Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson, ND's Jeff Samardjia & Ohio State's Steve Ginn would all look nice in Patriot's blue).

Gabriel
Jackson
Brown
Caldwell
Gaffney

That's a pretty solid group. Someone mentioned we don't have a deep threat, actually Gabriel AND Jackson have good enough speed to get deep fast.

Then add our talented TE group of Watson (our leading receiver), Graham & Thomas. I feel Brady will get better each week, feeling comfortable with this crew.

I agree with you. The current group of WRs reminds me of 2001, with Brown and Patten as the starters, with a better set of Tight Ends - this current group will get better as the year goes along. I miss Branch and Givens, but I don't disagree with the decisions not to sign them.

Me too, I have always liked BB method of bringing in servicable but not spectacular talent at WR. It's all about building a team and establishing an economic value of every position on the team, based on their potential contribution to a winning team. That is why BB never seems to go after big name free agents, because it screws up their model. And it is also why they will "cut bait" when they are unable to negotiate with a player to resign them. I like the model in business, and I like the model with the Patriots. Many players, especially WR and DBs seem to get an elevated sense of self worth after playing here.

The group of 5 wideouts we have right now is probably the most talented group Brady has ever had. It's only a matter of time before it all comes together.

BradyManny2344 said:
The group of 5 wideouts we have right now is probably the most talented group Brady has ever had. It's only a matter of time before it all comes together.

I agree. Even if they don't all work out, we have more offensive talent than ever, by far.

Pat the Pats Fan said:
Me too, I have always liked BB method of bringing in servicable but not spectacular talent at WR. It's all about building a team and establishing an economic value of every position on the team, based on their potential contribution to a winning team. That is why BB never seems to go after big name free agents, because it screws up their model. And it is also why they will "cut bait" when they are unable to negotiate with a player to resign them. I like the model in business, and I like the model with the Patriots. Many players, especially WR and DBs seem to get an elevated sense of self worth after playing here.

One of the few exceptions to that model was Rosie Colvin, and that really hasn't worked out - though it's neither the fault of the Pats or Colvin due to his hip injury in 2003 against the Eagles. We'll see how good of a year Rosie has, maybe he'll finish up strong and into the post-season.

However, Harrison and Poole were great signs, but they were cap-friendly deals.

RayClay said:
I agree. Even if they don't all work out, we have more offensive talent than ever, by far.

I think you're right, especially at the RB and TE positions, the deepest and most talented groups since BB arrived. Also, getting Gabriel for a 5th round pick was a great deal, especially since he's only 26 yrs old. They aren't always right in their acquisitions and signings (i.e., Duane Starks, Donald Hayes), but they are right most of the time.

scott99 said:
I really do. I think Gabriel can be something special, and obviously, we all feel Jackson will be something special when he is healthy. Troy Brown:we all know what he brings to the table, he is more of a possesion receiver, but we all know how clutch he is. He's no longer the gamebreaker, but if we need a 10+ yard td reception, I feel comfortable with him (obviously, so does Brady). Jabbar Gaffney, well, I've seen him play, and I feel he is definately an upgrade over Caldwell, though he will probably play behind Caldwell until he catches up (pardon the pun) on our playbook. Caldwell, well, he's not great, but serviceable. These 5 are a nice group, can it be upgraded ? Sure, but I think they can get it done, and wait until the draft (Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson, ND's Jeff Samardjia & Ohio State's Steve Ginn would all look nice in Patriot's blue).

Gabriel
Jackson
Brown
Caldwell
Gaffney

That's a pretty solid group. Someone mentioned we don't have a deep threat, actually Gabriel AND Jackson have good enough speed to get deep fast.

Then add our talented TE group of Watson (our leading receiver), Graham & Thomas. I feel Brady will get better each week, feeling comfortable with this crew.

It is a lot better than in August, imagine how bad it would be with
Brown, Caldwell, Rich Musinski, Keron Henry, Eddie Berlin and John Stone...

I would feel better if we had a true #1 or even a 1B type who could stretch the field and open things up for the other receivers. We haven't shown much of an over the top threat which is allowing the Safeties to creep up and in turns hurts the running game. But overall if these is what we have then lets see how it gels.

cstjohn17 said:
It is a lot better than in August, imagine how bad it would be with
Brown, Caldwell, Rich Musinski, Keron Henry, Eddie Berlin and John Stone...

I would feel better if we had a true #1 or even a 1B type who could stretch the field and open things up for the other receivers. We haven't shown much of an over the top threat which is allowing the Safeties to creep up and in turns hurts the running game. But overall if these is what we have then lets see how it gels.

It's going to have to be Gabriel, Watson, and Grahame as the over the top threats, and maybe Jackson later in the year. They have the guys to do it, but not the chemistry yet. Patten had the job in 2001, and it worked. When you think about it, this team is a really young team, still developing. The only area that's a bit on the old side is the LB group, and Rodney at SS.

DCPatsFan said:
I think you're right, especially at the RB and TE positions, the deepest and most talented groups since BB arrived. Also, getting Gabriel for a 5th round pick was a great deal, especially since he's only 26 yrs old. They aren't always right in their acquisitions and signings (i.e., Duane Starks, Donald Hayes), but they are right most of the time.

They are right more than most and when they are wrong, it's usually not disastrous.

Other teams have gone for the high dollar "savior" and blown their season.

If Gaffney or Gabriel turns out to be psycho, (just an example), we cut them and move on.

I seriously, (almost), think I would be looking into hiring a hit man to take out T.O. right now.:D

BradyManny2344 said:

Wow. That's quite a bit of optimism there. I hope your're right in the longrun, but as of now this is a pretty underwhelming group.

Jackson, by NEXT season should be showing signs of being a solid #2.

Gabriel is 6' 2" seems to have better than average speed and hands, and could be a keeper.... or he could be the type of player you trade for a 5th round draft pick.

Troy is Troy, but he's 13 years into his career.

Caldwell is on track to have a career year - with 30 catches. He hasn't had as many drops but his route running has been poor. There have been more than a few passes that might have been poorly thrown - or, more likely I believe - Caldwell turned the wrong way.

As for Gaffney, I'm not sure how street free agent winds up in a "Brady's most talented WRs of all time" list

RayClay said:
They are right more than most and when they are wrong, it's usually not disastrous.

Other teams have gone for the high dollar "savior" and blown their season.

If Gaffney or Gabriel turns out to be psycho, (just an example), we cut them and move on.

I seriously, (almost), think I would be looking into hiring a hit man to take out T.O. right now.:D

So you're not a big fan of the celebrity type NFL players? I think Parcells takes the right approach with T.O., he really doesn't publically acknowledge the nonsense involved, but he's probably getting ulcers...

I think this is a more than capable group.

Maybe I'm loopy but I can honestly say I'm not worried about WR.

The team still lacks a #1. The way the Defense has showed up in the first 5 games has helped us overshadow this big hole, however.

lol i feel stupid bringing this up...but according to the rankings in madden 07 lol......

browns 83 overall, caldwell 80 overall....gaffney 79 jackson 78 and gabriel is 78 also...i think i'm not too sure lol...i feel like a noob bringing it up madden but....someone mentioned caldwell was the like last or w/e...and i woudl agree b/c we havnt seen the potential of gaffney jackson and gabriel yet...

PaulNEPats said:
The team still lacks a #1. The way the Defense has showed up in the first 5 games has helped us overshadow this big hole, however.

that is true...in my opinion, having a receiving corps like the pats do right now is better...because it would force dbs to go into single coverage.....which is easier to spread the ball....

def. woudl have to start out on single coverage...with safeties playing deep zone where brady coudl find graham and watson at tight end running short slants...then defenses will be forced to have double coverage on the te's...which would make jackson or gabriel a deep threat....once they're forced to run zone coverage...then either the RB's or TE's could into a flat pattern and be wide open to gain 5 or 6 yards per pass play....or the WR's can find the holes in the zone coverage for a 10-15 yard pass play....

not to mention our strong runnign game can convert into play action for deep balls....

i should start a thread saying " I like our RBs and QB"

Brady

Dillon
Maroney
Faulk

I don't share the opinion that the Pats WR corps is all that good. When I think quality WR and the Pats I think of Troy Brown, and that's it. Not too comforting.

But even if it were true that this collection of Pats WR's is good the real issue is we are wasting the talents of what might be one of the games best ever QB's by not giving him a stud weapon to throw the ball too. And that is a true shame.

JoeSixPat said:
Wow. That's quite a bit of optimism there. I hope your're right in the longrun, but as of now this is a pretty underwhelming group.

Obviously I'm not super excited about the production from the wideouts thus far, but in terms of pure talent, we have 5 capable guys on the roster right now. It's just a matter of time and health. When CJ starts contributing, Caldwell gets bumped down to #3 on the depth chart, all of a sudden, its a dangerous bunch.

Look at it this way. Jabar Gaffney and David Givens both began their careers in 02 - Gaffney has caught more passes [with the Houston Texans] than David Givens has [with Tom Brady]. And Gaffney's our #5 receiver.

I think people forget that David Givens, David Patten and Deion Branch both owe a lot of their success to Tom Brady and the New England Patriots.

Last edited:
I think our #2 and 3 receiving slots should be set for the next few years, in terms of Gabriel and Caldwell respectively. Jackson is the wild card who is yet to be determined. The question is whether you wait and see if Jackson is the answer as the #1, or you go out and get someone. Pretty risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back