PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I like our defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats726 said:
Well, I think the last one is out..they MAY play more 4-3..but shifting to that all the time?? Not happening at all..the BASE here is 3-4..the players brought in for that..I don't expect a major shift, especially with the D still playing strong last year at the end. The OLB, ILB stud is a better discussion...with Vrabel either staying in or going out depending.

Pats726 is absolutely correct here. Our base IS a 3-4 because they can drop into 4-3 from it and not vice versa. Effective defensive football relies on disguising what you really planning to play and a 3-4 is the best base to do that. All our core players were selected for this purpose. The 3-4 base. The middle must be strength and power: Wilfork, Bruschi, Vrabel and or Beisel/Claridge/Draft pick...... The outside speed and brains are at a premium :Colvin,Vrabel,Seymour, Warren. What makes it all go is a tough, nasty, smart SS: Harrison! So I say draft Ernie Sims and turn him into the next Super SS. I'll settle for a Bobby Carpenter or Mannie Lawson. Chad Greenway is my last option at 21. Please: NO WR or RB at 21! :rocker:

mgteich said:
Actually I thin that the ILB and NT positions are the difficult positions to fill. There are hundreds of OLB's, many are now pass-rushing DE's in a 43.
I agree..finding that TJ type of ILB that will plug runs is NOT what gets the big bucks...and yet it is rare. NT also is hard..maybe a later round pick??

Feep_FLA said:
Pats726 is absolutely correct here. Our base IS a 3-4 because they can drop into 4-3 from it and not vice versa. Effective defensive football relies on disguising what you really planning to play and a 3-4 is the best base to do that. All our core players were selected for this purpose. The 3-4 base. The middle must be strength and power: Wilfork, Bruschi, Vrabel and or Beisel/Claridge/Draft pick...... The outside speed and brains are at a premium :Colvin,Vrabel,Seymour, Warren. What makes it all go is a tough, nasty, smart SS: Harrison! So I say draft Ernie Sims and turn him into the next Super SS. I'll settle for a Bobby Carpenter or Mannie Lawson. Chad Greenway is my last option at 21. Please: NO WR or RB at 21! :rocker:

oh i know
i dont think theyll switch to a 4-3
i was just throwing it out there

Given how well Vrabel acclimated to ILB, I bet they want to keep him inside for his coverage skills/versatility…but that’s assuming they can find a decent replacement to Willie.

It’s hard to imagine the defense being any worse than it was at the tail end of the season, which ought to scare everyone.

The big question mark for me isn't defense but finding a consistent ground game...It's hard to believe Dillon wasn't playing in pain last year after putting up 1600 yards in ’04 (O-line may have also contributed as did the fact that we played from behind more, or option C: a playcalling bias, or D: none of the above)...but they still need a contingency plan for Dillon going forward so if they draft a RB I wouldn’t read too much into it.

But mark my words, barring serious injuries, if we can run the ball next season we will dominate in a way we never really have.

Call me a homer but I'm still waiting for our version of the '89 Niners, and I'm just not convinced our best season is already behind us :cool:

Last edited:
Brady'sButtBoy said:
Beisel was playing much better near the end of last season and was in on some key stops in the playoffs, so I wouldn't write him off just yet. I bet he will be seeing a lot of playing time after making such steady improvement by the end of last year.

The defense still really needs a super stud in the DB since we can't be certain Rodney will ever return to form. An Ed Reed/Troy Polomalu type who can really hit and run like mad would completely change the character of our D and take some of the pressure off the front seven. I know they are hard to come by, but big time rookie in the DB could make our a D a real terror.

Recently, a draft aggregator predicted such a guy for us although he has been unmentioned as a Pats' pick by a large number of mocks. Ernie Sims OLB Fla. 6'0" 230 -- too small for LB in a 3-4 but making a move to SS-he'd be big. Said to have a mean streak, too.

The McGinest Plan

BB would have re-signed Willie to a one-year deal if he didn't feel comfortable that the team has options in the offseason.

Personally, I think BB finally sees a LB draft class where he has a few options to bring some top young talent in at LB. The fact that Vrabel gives the roster ILB/OLB flexibility is such a big factor, because it frees BB/SP to pick inside (Greenway, Hodge, McGarigle) or outside (Carpenter, Lawson, Wimbley), depending on who's available. Any of those players should be able to contribute as rookies although the converted DEs might take a bit longer to see the field.

How's this for a draft class through the 4th round:

#26 OLB Bobby Carpenter (trade down w/Chicago, they take Deangelo)
#52 CB Richard Marshall
#57 TE Anthony Fasano (trade up w/Chicago from #75, compensation for Deangelo)
#86 OT Darryn Colledge
#100 ILB Tim McGarigle

That's five eventual starters, all playing backup roles. Anything even close to this, and this draft class is going to eclipse the Pats 2003 rookie crop.

rookBoston said:
BB would have re-signed Willie to a one-year deal if he didn't feel comfortable that the team has options in the offseason.

Personally, I think BB finally sees a LB draft class where he has a few options to bring some top young talent in at LB. The fact that Vrabel gives the roster ILB/OLB flexibility is such a big factor, because it frees BB/SP to pick inside (Greenway, Hodge, McGarigle) or outside (Carpenter, Lawson, Wimbley), depending on who's available. Any of those players should be able to contribute as rookies although the converted DEs might take a bit longer to see the field.

How's this for a draft class through the 4th round:

#26 OLB Bobby Carpenter (trade down w/Chicago, they take Deangelo)
#52 CB Richard Marshall
#57 TE Anthony Fasano (trade up w/Chicago from #75, compensation for Deangelo)
#86 OT Darryn Colledge
#100 ILB Tim McGarigle

That's five eventual starters, all playing backup roles. Anything even close to this, and this draft class is going to eclipse the Pats 2003 rookie crop.

Great post rook! I would just change #52 to a WR and then I really like how you think! Also I agree that BB has a plan with the LB position.

I am beginning to think it is more likely for Vrabel to stay inside just based on the fact that it will be easier to acquire a good young 3-4 OLB than an ILB. Even if we ended up with Greenway, which I hope, he could be taught either.

jczxohn1 said:
[/b]

Recently, a draft aggregator predicted such a guy for us although he has been unmentioned as a Pats' pick by a large number of mocks. Ernie Sims OLB Fla. 6'0" 230 -- too small for LB in a 3-4 but making a move to SS-he'd be big. Said to have a mean streak, too.

ya, ive heard a lot about this possibility

but how well can he cover at s?

rookBoston said:

i think you're right
this lb class is good
and bb must see some guys that he thinks are intelligent enough
i think?

patsfan55 said:
ya, ive heard a lot about this possibility

but how well can he cover at s?
(re: Ernie Sims)

Box points out that the fly in the ointment may be injury and character issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back