PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I like how Gregg Williams thinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the city of New Orleans, but Gregg is a dolt for saying this and Manning will make him pay.

Plus, DE McCray should have been flagged for the cheap shot on Favre.

Oh well, more misery in New Orleans.

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams recently told a Nashville radio station that the Saints plan to rattle Colts quarterback Peyton Manning by hitting him whenever they can, and that the goal is to knock him out of the game.

"We'll gladly trade a penalty or two if it means that we get to see Curtis Painter instead of Peyton Manning."

So who is taking this out of context, and who isn't?

I can't believe what a tool this guy is???

1) If this isn't actually his plan and he thinks this is somehow going to get into Manning's head, then he's sorely mistaken.

2) If this is actually the plan, and someone does injure Manning, how long until Drew Brees gets the strecher in return? If it happened without these quotes, then its a coincidence. By saying this though, if they do in fact injure Manning, it's going to look completely intentional and someone on the Colts will retailiate.

3) If they do injure Manning and it comes on a late hit or otherwise illegal play, what will the consequences for this coach be?

That being said, if this is their game plan, then I've lost all respect for the Saints which is too bad because I really like them as a team. But to want to win a Super Bowl by intentionally attempting to knock the other teams best player out of the game is just cowardly. Why not just play the game and prove you can win when you're playing their best?

Ummm ... did you watch the Vikings - Saints game :confused3:

Did you happen to notice Favre was more ugly after the game than he was before. :confused3:

Love the city of New Orleans, but Gregg is a dolt for saying this and Manning will make him pay.

Plus, DE McCray should have been flagged for the cheap shot on Favre.

Oh well, more misery in New Orleans.

agreed, but the Williams statement might have been on purpose, you know payton.
Well I looked at the footage and Mcray did dive for favre and hit hit legs, so you right, by the letter. You can see MCcray barely make it to Favre off his hand, so it wasn't intentional.
But Hargroves hit at 1:29:45 of the game was not a PF on Favre and the saints were called for it, and it continued what would have been a 4th down after, so that might be even. In fact the second play never would have happened if the 1st bad call wasn't made.
YouTube - Brett Favre gets thrashed during the NFC Championship game.

I understand the uproar with the fact that a DC would publicly say he was going to kill another QB. But what I don't understand, is that this is what every DC in the NFL tells there guys to do, except worse, to QB's in the locker room, this includes N.E.. We all know that. Its football not womens soccer.

Funny how we all bask in the glory days of the "steel curtain" . "purple people eaters", the " 85 bears defense" , but forget that they were absolutely BRUTAL.

football is a brutal sport. No one is ever trying to hurt anyone, and no one on the Saints will intensionally try to hurt Manning, but you can bet if we can put him on the ground we will. What Williams is saying is you cant tell some one of the saints DL "hey get to Manning, but be nice and watch the knees". Doesnt work that way, it all or nothing, and you cant stop it once its started, or you kill the warrior.

What I read from his comments is well if you get a penalty I hope it hurt or mess up his next pass, or made him think less about passing and more about " we are comming for you".

Same goes for brees , this game is brutal, if you dont like it retire. or get a better OL. The vikings had the #20 ranked OL, they didnt want to blow money on protecting the QB

Last edited:
I absolutely love Gregg Williams' thoughts. I just wish that he had kept them to himself & his players.

I absolutely love Gregg Williams' thoughts. I just wish that he had kept them to himself & his players.

man I completely agree with you, I still dont know if this was just a approved payton trick, but to say its dirty is to not understand football. The job of the defense is to kill the playmaker, not matter the cost to them or him. And I also agree if your trying to intensionally cripple a key player, that is bad sportsmanship, but I have never seen Williams do that, he just wants the QB killed, which is normal.

What do you think the Ravens were saying before they played you guys? Im pretty sure it was knock out Brady.

Last edited:
Why shouldn't it be their gameplan? He didn't say they're going to deliver illegal hits to hurt the guy, he just said they're going to try and hit him.

This is football, right?

This is essentially the exact same theoretical gameplan the Giants used: collapse the pocket and rattle the **** out of Brady so the offense couldn't get in sync. It's a huge testament to Brady's toughness that he managed to lead the team down for the go-ahead TD after the beating he took (while playing on an injured leg).

If Williams really thought there would be any repercussions for saying that, he wouldn't have said it. Don't be surprised if this is also a public message to his defense: "we're not going to win unless you guys bring it."

Yep - another non-story being sensationalized b/c it's a slow news day.

For the record - before we played the Vikings, Favre, Childress, Jared Allen, and Pat Williams were talking smack and guaranteeing wins, while we stayed quiet. Well, we still got our tails kicked in good.

I doubt if it makes it into the Colts locker room bulliten board, and Manning isn't even thinking about it to boot.

I heard the actual audio of the interview, and the article in question took what Williams said wayyyyyy out of context. Almost to the point of not being comparable.

The entire "injury" thing, even just the implication that its what Williams meant, is more or less fabricated. Bad, bad journalism here.

I heard the actual audio of the interview, and the article in question took what Williams said wayyyyyy out of context. Almost to the point of not being comparable.

The entire "injury" thing, even just the implication that its what Williams meant, is more or less fabricated. Bad, bad journalism here.

Ah-should have known it! Especially b/c on the Saints board, there was NOT a chirper or abuzzer over Williams' comments. OTOH-the Colts board was having a picnic over it.

That's journalism right there for y'all-ultimately, when they get their audience to buzz about anything, they did their job.

Gregg Williams is a genius. Peyton Manning is not a mobile QB.

The only way to beat the Colts is to get inside of Manning's head, and we've seen it done before, with disastrous results for the Colts. If Peyton thinks he's going to be dealing with a soft (Patriots-like) defense, he's going to have all the confidence in the world going into that game.

Oh by the way

Payton sent G Williams jar of peanut butter, crackers, & a glass of sand to keep his mouth shut at Media Day. team cracked up

“Sometimes the idea of a blitz can be almost as good as the blitz itself. We pressured Bledsoe on seven of the first 10 snaps. I knew Bill Parcells was going to over-commit to protecting his quarterback, and leave more people in to block. So we started showing pressure and not bringing it, making the quarterback feel by the way we lined up, 'Here they come.' And then we'd drop back, and he'd wind up getting upset and throwing the ball away.”

By Gregg Williams

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back