Welcome to PatsFans.com

I Like Bill Ayers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wildo7, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I don't like what he did, but it was a pretty crazy time and he never hurt anybody. He's now a college professor and respected community member.

The "christians" on this board like Fogbuster like to wear their religion on their sleeves, but they don't seem to believe in forgiveness or redemption not only for a man who was militant 50 years ago, but for anyone who associates with him.

Can anyone give me a concrete reason why Bill Ayers is actually a bad person? Why isn't he in jail?

Why the right will fail is because of their simplistic black and white outlook. For those of us with a brain, just calling someone a "terrorist" or a "communist" doesn't fly. People are more complex than that. You have too look at context and what the person actually has to say. When I look at Ayers I see a passionate activist who has done excellent work in education and who got caught up in a time of repressive police action and militancy. I'd probably vote for Ayers before McCain.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Bill Ayers and his cronies put innocent lives at risk ... even though they denied this. Rather than take the road of peacefull demonstration they waged war on America ... I cannot forgive anyone who has done that. My country may not be perfect but it's mine and i don't want it undermined by some fringe loon from the right or left. Take the time to start a grassroots protest ... blowing things up is for savages.
  3. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

And he hasn't blown anything up for over 40 years. And he never hurt anyone which is why he's not in jail. Where's your outrage for the state-sponsored terror and oppressive police policies of that time period?

I don't agree with what he did, again, but using that to write him off and anyone who associates with him is very transparent and it's exactly why the efforts to bring down Obama with his Ayers connection are falling on deaf ears. As will the overly simplistic rhetoric about "waging war on America." What does that even mean?
  4. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

You need to study up on Bill Ayers a bit more Wildo ... what he wants to teach children is more than dangerous. He expouses a theory of social unrest that should be shaped into children by the education system. he wants a whole new society that would have no problem overthrowing the government in this country. Not to say it's what we see with young hard core Muslim kids ... but brainwashing is brainwashing ... I think we need to stick to the 3-R's myself. Let's give our kids a better well rounded education and let's let them decide how to perceive the country and the world on their own.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

The Weathermen were pretty nutty. They were a fringer group during an era when more traditional leftist groups were making progress on their own. I don't think the terrorist activities of the Weathermen did nearly as much to end the Vietnam War as did the various student, worker, and other groups that staged traditional protests or engaged in civil disobedience. Although the Weathermen probably didn't kill anyone, they certainly risked doing so.

That said, Ayers seems to have become a good traditional advocate of children's rights and education rights, working with mainstream Democrats, Republicans, and business leaders to foster change. The fact that he cowrote the grant application to the Annenberg Foundation, which was headed by many Republicans, reflects the fact that he became a responsible contributor to society.

As a liberal, I believe in redemption, and believe that a person who commits a crime can, having paying a price, become a responsible member of society.
  6. PF1996

PF1996 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

How about providing something besides your standard B.S. to support your outlandish claims? And by "something", I don't mean a fact devoid opinion piece by a fellow rightwinger zombie.
  7. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Because we are a nation of laws and an illegal wiretap tainted the prosecution......
  8. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

And I agree with this completely. Militant acitivism undermines itself especially when it's goals are to end war. If Ayers was still trying to lead the Weather Underground and still preached violent resistance I'd have a problem with Obama working with him. But he's not, and most reasonable people understand this and that the 60s were a fairly crazy time.
  9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Well the Obama camp sure seems to be doing everything they can to distance themselves from him with all the denying they’re doing about the intensity of their relationship. I don't like him because of his statements that he wish he had done more destruction. That doesn’t sound repentant to me. And are you serious? Bill Ayers for President of the United States?
  10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Your point is probably why the Ayers connection is not making more traction. But, my guess is that McCain is trying to rile up his base so that they turn out and vote (even though they don't like him much). I think once McCain gets the Harry Boys and BFs (who have both said they have serious reservations about McCain) lined up, he'll start moderating his tone so as to try to win over moderates.
  11. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Not so fast ... Ayers thinks today's lefties are wimps and that should speak alot of what he still believes. he thinks those against the war did not do enough by merely publicly objecting to it. He thinks even Ward Churchill is not tough enough.
  12. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

1) Is there any proof that that was Ayers? The Weather Underground was a fractured group with little cohesive structure. Blaming all individual members for what certain factions did is silly.

2) Why can't people understand this; "The notion that somehow as a consequence of me knowing somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago, when I was eight years old, somehow reflects on me and my values, doesn’t make much sense."
  13. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Source please.
  14. PF1996

PF1996 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The Obama camp is doing their best to set the record straight since the zombies that make up the majority of voting public aren't able to think past the blatant lies being fed to them by McCain and Palin. Which is that Obama isn't "pals" with Ayers and they didn't have an "intense relationship". Feel free though to point to any evidence disputing this fact. Fox news had a hilarious piece the other day ranting about "evidence provides better insight into Obama/Ayers relationship". The "evidence" in question - that Obama was in a room at the same time as Ayers. :rolleyes:
  15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Here's the lefties link ... I read it elsewhere also ... from an interview:
    His reference in this article is not the Ward reference ... I have to find that one again.

16. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Choke on this ... Interview with Bill Ayers
  17. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Here's more ... I could fill pages of his hate of America that now exists.

He wants children as young as kindergarten to be shaped to think like this.
    How do you run for President and call a man who wants the American political system overthrown your friend???

this is why Obama has no choice but to distance himself from Ayers ... should have a long time ago.
  18. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +254 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Ayers isn't in jail because he got off on a technicality regarding FBI surveillance techniques. Maybe the technicality was valid but that is no reason to like him nor to say "he was acquitted so he must have been innocent". I thought this subject was a joke of some kind - the fact that you are serious is very difficult to accept.
  19. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Thanks for admitting you're too far gone.

Drink up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Hey OJ never killed anyone either. ;)