I know you guys hate the Chargers and their fans but hear me out

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcdavey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
i want your honest opinion about this quote

With his job in doubt, Chargers linebacker Wilhelm steps up

After his best performance of the season Monday night against the Jets, Wilhelm acknowledged he stepped up his game as the shadow of Tim Dobbins threatened to engulf Wilhelm's playing time.

"It drives me," Wilhelm said. "The biggest thing is it's almost like I got complacent being the starter. I never realized until it came that there was heat from behind, from Tim."

i think this makes our ILB look like a ******ed slacker, am i wrong?

wow, he never went to the "what not to say in an interview" school, huh?

I don't hate Chargers fans. You seem cool. And I don't hate the team en masse. I do hate Merriman. I don't like LdT, but I respect him and wish he was a Patriot. Norv Turner sucks. Sorry.

To answer your question, Wilhelm should not have said that. It's not savy. BUT, it IS a normal human sentiment. We cannot go at maximum velocity at all times, and it's normal to coast a bit now and then. Otherwise we go nuts or turn into Rasheed Wallace. Sometimes we all need a kick in the pants, even if it's to increase our effort from 98% to 100%. It's normal.

Anyway, here's to a 1-15 season for SD, playing in the nicest city in the country!

I dont hate Chargers fans ,except the obnoxious ones.Every team has them,they go to other teams boards to try and irritate them(or worse).I think most fans of most teams are passionate about their team,but not to the point they actually hate their opponents.I dont like several teams (the Colts come to mind...)but there are some posters here that are Jets fans ,Colts fans that are decent,can have dialogues about the games without spewing garbage.I like to see posters like that here on occasion,for a different take on things.
In regard to the LB who made some dumb statements,I think we all know good players (and teams)sometimes dog it,thats why teams with losing records will surprise winning teams in the "upset special of the week".May not be the wisest thing to state that that in front of a microphone.......

The thing is, American sports journalists (maybe all American journalists?) seem to be obsessed with getting in touch with athletes' "feelings". Then, when, as in this case, the athlete in question says something half-bright in response, they (and, yes, fans like you on the internet) analyse it as if it were a really big deal.

I'm tempted to say "they're football players, for God's sake!, they're not supposed to have feelings" but, of course, that wouldn't be true. Nevertheless, what is true is that they're not like movie stars who can turn the sentimental stuff on and off like a faucet (I'll make an exception for Brett Favre) and they don't make their living in a daytime TV world, sitting on a sofa talking about themselves.

So the best plan is BB's -- when Patriots players get asked about that kind of thing they just refuse to play along. For their trouble, they get called robots, zombies and cult members, but there you are ...

i want your honest opinion about this quote

With his job in doubt, Chargers linebacker Wilhelm steps up

i think this makes our ILB look like a ******ed slacker, am i wrong?

frankly IMO its lack of leadership and maturity which has been the constant problem for the chargers whether they win or lose. too many young heads who feel they are privileged enough to win everygame without an effort and act like kids sometimes when someone questions them or even when things are going well.. this is the latest example of someone who says he is playing welll because his job seems insecure.

frankly IMO its lack of leadership and maturity which has been the constant problem for the chargers whether they win or lose. too many young heads who feel they are privileged enough to win everygame without an effort and act like kids sometimes when someone questions them or even when things are going well.. this is the latest example of someone who says he is playing welll because his job seems insecure.
i tend to agree with that and every year i pray the players will shut the hell up, but they keep providing these stupid soundbytes

Focus on your season, not press traping of young football players into inanity. Bolts are poised to have an excellent shot at the AFC title.

Good health to the Chaagiz!

LOL thats a smart guy:rolleyes:

I've always liked the Chargers, but when you play enough big games against a team, the blood gets boiling. As long as I've watched football the Chargers have had all-time great players, and a fun team from Fouts, JJ, Chandler Muncie to LDT and Cromartie etc. They should have won the SB in 1981 and 2006 but came up empty.

Suggested headline: Football player motivated by competition.

I don't hate the Chargers or their fans but you got to admit that they have too many loose cannons.

I dunno, but I wonder if he feels Tim's heat from behind often?

sorry.. couldn't resist.

Last edited:
It is an annual rite of the Patriots to bring in competition. Why? Because it keeps the incumbents on their toes.

If he were smarter he could have said the same thing in a different way. "I am glad of the competition Tim provides be because it helps me to be the best I can be."

If he said that, he would be seen as a hard worker rather than a slacker, but in essence it is the same thing.

The thing is, American sports journalists (maybe all American journalists?) seem to be obsessed with getting in touch with athletes' "feelings". Then, when, as in this case, the athlete in question says something half-bright in response, they (and, yes, fans like you on the internet) analyse it as if it were a really big deal.

I'm tempted to say "they're football players, for God's sake!, they're not supposed to have feelings" but, of course, that wouldn't be true. Nevertheless, what is true is that they're not like movie stars who can turn the sentimental stuff on and off like a faucet (I'll make an exception for Brett Favre) and they don't make their living in a daytime TV world, sitting on a sofa talking about themselves.

So the best plan is BB's -- when Patriots players get asked about that kind of thing they just refuse to play along. For their trouble, they get called robots, zombies and cult members, but there you are ...
Favre isn't the only drama queen, but you (as always) make an excellent point.

This is a case of "speaking truth to power." It's almost always ugly and I believe poor Wilhelm hasn't heard the end of it. He spoke truth to the power of the press, but he also spoke truth to the San Diego Chargers organization - 'we suck because we read our press clippings, have a sense of entitlement with no focus, and are individually and collectively undisciplined - please pass the tissues." Welcome to the bench Wilhelm, perhaps not right away, but you just punched your ticket out of town. Remember, Norv and A.J. love you, write often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes