PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I know many of us wanted Ealy 2 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easley have been shut down late two years in a row now....If you ask who would I prerfer based on recent history? I would say the guy who's not on IR. We better hope Easley is not one on those Often injuried guys.

I don't disagree at all. I'm looking forward to 2016 with Easley, Brown and Siliga in their second year as a group in the middle.

The guy I'm concerned about is Alan Branch at 31-years-old. He's been one of the best veteran pickups in Belichick's tenure. He's a leader, he was durable in 2015, and he's got the size to keep two blockers busy while the younger, faster guys work the gaps.

Agree on Branch. What a pickup!

Not sure if people agree but based on how he played last year I think his deal is pretty reasonable. With a little uncertainty surrounding Easy and Seal having a down year unless the team thinks they can get better for cheaper he should be back.

Below is his deal for next year.

2016:

Cap hit: $2.35 million

Base salary: $1.2 million

Roster bonus: $400,000 (to be paid on the first day of the 2016 league year if the Patriots pick up his option)

Roster bonus: $400,000 ($25,000 per game)

NLTBE: $750,000 (playing time)

NLTBE: $400,000 (weight bonus)

Analysis: If the Patriots decline Branch's option for 2016, they would save $2 million against the cap. Branch will earn $2.3 million in 2015 if he plays all 16 games, plus the possibility to earn an additional $1.15 million if he reaches undisclosed playing-time marks and weight bonuses.

When I heard the pick announced, for a millisecond I thought that the Pats had picked Ealy instead of
Easley, who should not ever have been even considered until AT LEAST their 2nd-rounder.

On the bright side most teams must be looking at Jamie Collins and kicking themselves for not taking him in the first round.

easley has been a bust so far...

sorry rumpswabs

Easley have been shut down late two years in a row now....If you ask who would I prerfer based on recent history? I would say the guy who's not on IR. We better hope Easley is not one on those Often injuried guys.
My point exactly and one that was too easily overlooked by a number of posters desire to tell me what an idiot I am. Easley has 2 bad knees. He may never play more than a partial season. Tuna always said the best ability is availability.

"Many of us"??

Speak for yourself and dont base stuff off of one game
Disagree if you like. I'm more of a reader than poster, but I remember a great deal of discussion about him before that draft ON THIS BOARD AND NOT originated by me. And if you can't say you're not concerned that Easley may not ever make it through a complete season with his bad knees, them I have to tell you, I am.

Second guessing the draft is always clearer in that "rosy rear view mirror"...
My point, that was evidently missed, was simply to point out that this is a guy that was discussed in this board as a possible draft target for the Pats. I mentioned Easley because he has 2 bad knees and hasn't been able to play a complete season - at the start of his career. We have taken chances with injured players with some like Dowling never getting on the field due to their medical history.

And he never won a SB without BB coaching his defense.
And neither have the Pats With Easley in the lineup. Look, I hope Easley turns the corner health wise and is the next great pass rusher, but I asked a question about a player who appears to be coming into his own with the potential to be very good, while we gambled that IF he could stay on the field, he might be great. It's a valid question to me, if you don't think so, just skip the vitriol and move along.

My point, that was evidently missed, was simply to point out that this is a guy that was discussed in this board as a possible draft target for the Pats. I mentioned Easley because he has 2 bad knees and hasn't been able to play a complete season - at the start of his career. We have taken chances with injured players with some like Dowling never getting on the field due to their medical history.

Ew, Dowling, there's a name I had forgotten and would like to keep it that way. Man, what a bust that guy was. I'm not giving it too much thought at the moment but he has to be the worst first round pick during the BB regime. At least Merriweather was on the field.

but I asked a question about a player who appears to be coming into his own with the potential to be very good, while we gambled that IF he could stay on the field, he might be great
We took a gamble when we took Gronk. It goes both ways, you can never have a perfect record with these things. Besides, Easley was not troubled by his knees this year. He got IR'd for a quad injury and against the Steelers he suffered a hip pointer.

Let's calm the **** down. The guy has 9 sacks over 2 years, and he only became a starter late in the season.

He has a ton of potential and had a huge game in the Super Bowl. But he also only had 3 tackles combined in the earlier 2 playoff games.

He could be the next Charles Johnson. He could also be the next Malcolm Smith, who wasn't even a full-time starter for the Seahawks and returned an INT for a TD in the Super Bowl, winning Super Bowl MVP honours, then followed it up with a mediocre season before not re-signing with the Seahawks, eventually signing a deal with the Raiders and doing pretty much nothing.

Let's see what he actually does in a full season as a potential starter before getting all weepy about not drafting him.

Ew, Dowling, there's a name I had forgotten and would like to keep it that way. Man, what a bust that guy was. I'm not giving it too much thought at the moment but he has to be the worst first round pick during the BB regime. At least Merriweather was on the field.
Not to nitpick but Dowling was picked begining of the second round when most posters here wanted the trade down

It's funny how quickly people forget just how disruptive Easley was becoming before he was struck down with another injury. Given his ACL recoveries, I thought anything out of Easley in his first few seasons would be a bonus. Years 3 & 4 were always going to be the see what we really have in him.

I like what I've seen from Easley. If he can stay healthy, he'll form a terrorising tandem with Brown.

It's funny how quickly people forget just how disruptive Easley was becoming before he was struck down with another injury. Given his ACL recoveries, I thought anything out of Easley in his first few seasons would be a bonus. Years 3 & 4 were always going to be the see what we really have in him.

I like what I've seen from Easley. If he can stay healthy, he'll form a terrorising tandem with Brown.

Really don't get how anyone can see his body of work from this season and just in the terms of a pass rushing force up the middle think that he wasn't worth the 1st round pick...

Really don't get how anyone can see his body of work from this season and just in the terms of a pass rushing force up the middle think that he wasn't worth the 1st round pick...
I was suspect at the time the Pats drafted only because the Pats have been snakebitten when investing in guys with dubious injury histories. Mind you, the more I watched his play, the more enamored I became. I also work on the 2 year theory. In my experience, the first season back after a significant injury is a building year were year 2 is the rip, **** and tear year.

If he stays healthy, Easley is going to be a dominant force in the NFL.

I've been beating the "We need a heavy LDE" drum for years so obviously I was big on Ealy. I'm still far happier with Easley though and in some crazy dream scenario we end up with both. Easley is a flat out baller. Geno Atkins is the only DT similar to Easley that is better than him but Easley is more versatile.

I've been beating the "We need a heavy LDE" drum for years so obviously I was big on Ealy. I'm still far happier with Easley though and in some crazy dream scenario we end up with both. Easley is a flat out baller. Geno Atkins is the only DT similar to Easley that is better than him but Easley is more versatile.
If there's a DT in the league with a first step as explosive as Easley's then I'm a fairy. His potential is enormous (but I also realise it's an incredibly dirty word).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes