PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I know it's early, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
...here are the rankings for the Pats' offense and defense so far, through 3 games:

Offense:
points - #1
yards - #7

Defense:
points - #28
yards - #27

This would represent the 2nd best Pats offense ever (by ranking), but it's the worst ranked defense since 1995, when they went 6-10 and had the #25 scoring defense and the #28 yardage defense.

I doubt the defense plays THIS bad all season..

I don't think they're going to turn into the Jets, but I think we'll see improvement at the end of the year. The amount of improvement is the question though.

We can rest assured that our offense won't be 23rd in the league this season thus indicating we'll finish better than the 1995 6-10 Pats did with Bledsoe, Troy Brown, Willie & Ty Law.

1995 New England Patriots Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

It won't take a miracle for this 2010 defense to mature and improve a bit such that it outranks some of the crappy Ds that Peyton Manning had.

I doubt the defense plays THIS bad all season..

I don't think they're going to turn into the Jets, but I think we'll see improvement at the end of the year. The amount of improvement is the question though.

I lost a lot of faith in them last Sunday. After Sunday, I would would be surprise if they don't give up more than 20 points a game.

Those numbers are dependent on the learning curve of Spikes and Cunningham. I think the secondary will be fine. If we can close up that soft spot in the middle and get a rush now and then we'll at least be average on defense which IMO will be good enough.

...here are the rankings for the Pats' offense and defense so far, through 3 games:

Offense:
points - #1
yards - #7

Defense:
points - #28
yards - #27

This would represent the 2nd best Pats offense ever (by ranking), but it's the worst ranked defense since 1995, when they went 6-10 and had the #25 scoring defense and the #28 yardage defense.

Pretty funny correlation to draw, considering the destiny of that 1995 team, one short year later. :cool:

I remember when we went to halftime vs the Bengals a few weeks ago. Everyone was so excited about this team and the defense. They looked great... They were fast and effective and full of energy. Then the over the next few weeks they've just been inconsistent and pathetic looking. At some times they look really good. I know they have it in them. They just need to pull their Sh*T together and work as a team.

I remember when we went to halftime vs the Bengals a few weeks ago. Everyone was so excited about this team and the defense. They looked great... They were fast and effective and full of energy. Then the over the next few weeks they've just been inconsistent and pathetic looking. At some times they look really good. I know they have it in them. They just need to pull their Sh*T together and work as a team.

People were high on them after the game. I argued with multiple people asking why did Palmer go from doing zilch to almost putting up 400 yards against us in a half? Typical answer as always from everyone, the scheme. I love the homers on this board always good for their ridiculous posts that make you really laugh out loud sometimes.

Those numbers are dependent on the learning curve of Spikes and Cunningham. I think the secondary will be fine. If we can close up that soft spot in the middle and get a rush now and then we'll at least be average on defense which IMO will be good enough.

I actually feel pretty confident in the ability of Spikes and Cunningham to improve reasonably quickly. Same with McCourty and Chung; Butler might take more time (we now see why BB gave Bodden big bucks) and who knows what's up with all-or-nothing Meriweather.

It's still amazing when you count all the youth on this D. I had the misfortune of listening to Satan and Squeaky on 98.5 for a few minutes this afternoon; I gave them two minutes to say something intelligent and all they did was talk about is what a failure this D is. Next station. I guess I'm not ready to give upon them this year or especially for the coming years.

Two questions for folks who follow details better than I do: What's up with the safety we got from KC? Has he been playing? And how's Pryor been?

So if its stays this way

When the defense was pretty bad we went 6-10
When the offense was pretty good we went 16-0

Divide those two in half would be an 11-5 record :)

As my good friend says:

RELAX.

7 of 9 positions ~ that's 9 of 11 in EarthSpeak ~ have new starters or young guys with significantly different repsonsibilities.

But they are DEEPLY TALENTED...and MAGNIFICENTLY led.

GIVE them 2 or 3 months to Take It Through the Gears.

Give them time to...ASSIMILATE. :D

7of9.jpg

WE ARE THE BORG

I lost a lot of faith in them last Sunday. After Sunday, I would would be surprise if they don't give up more than 20 points a game.

Then the O have to score more :)

As my good friend says:

RELAX.

7 of 9 positions ~ that's 9 of 11 in EarthSpeak ~ have new starters or young guys with significantly different repsonsibilities.

But they are DEEPLY TALENTED...and MAGNIFICENTLY led.

GIVE them 2 or 3 months to Take It Through the Gears.

Give them time to...ASSIMILATE. :D

7of9.jpg

WE ARE THE BORG

She looks very well assimilated. ...

I feel like such a nerd for getting the Seven of Nine reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back