PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Know It's An Old Story, But...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Old Peculiar similar to the 3 Stooges' favorite, Old Homocide?

Now, when I go out, I'll order Newcastle, McSorley's or Guinness. I do prefer dark ales and stouts.

I was quite surprised when I bought a 6 pack of Guinness bottles (dark, black almost 'painted' bottles) the other day that they have the message "please drink directly from the bottle" on the cap and bottleneck. They no longer use the 'widget' technology anymore, that's how long it had been since I have drank one.

What I imagined to be a very hearty dark, meal-like stout ended up being incredibly "flat" tasting. That really surprised me as the head of the beer itself usually took up a large portion of the glass if you chose to use one, but it seemed to taste awfully flat and lacking any kind of carbonation.

Has it always been that way? One good thing is that it did not bloat me after drinking the 6 pk, but again--it just didn't seem to have any kind of 'kick' as far as being carbonated anymore. Maybe it's just been too long since I had one that I don't remember.

Figured I'd ask since you brought it up.

OTG--

I always, always enjoy your posts and consider you a good friend here and a quality poster.

Here's looking to a great year of yet another highly competitive season.

"It all starts in the trenches," so hopefully that base is covered thoroughly.

As far as winter darks go, Brooklyn brewery's chocolate stout is an occasional winter indulgence. High alcohol content, but very rich and a little too sweet. It's like drinking a 10% dark chocolate (good dark chocolate at that, not the Americanized version).

Definitely put back my fair share of newkies. But what amazes me is, yuengling is easily found here in Florida, yet I don't see it to often in ma. Their bottled black and tan is a must grab whenever I see it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Sam's Imperial Stout is excellent, but there's nothing like Samuel Smith's Tadcaster Oatmeal stout. Wish I had one now.

I was quite surprised when I bought a 6 pack of Guinness bottles (dark, black almost 'painted' bottles) the other day that they have the message "please drink directly from the bottle" on the cap and bottleneck. They no longer use the 'widget' technology anymore, that's how long it had been since I have drank one.

What I imagined to be a very hearty dark, meal-like stout ended up being incredibly "flat" tasting. That really surprised me as the head of the beer itself usually took up a large portion of the glass if you chose to use one, but it seemed to taste awfully flat and lacking any kind of carbonation.

Has it always been that way? One good thing is that it did not bloat me after drinking the 6 pk, but again--it just didn't seem to have any kind of 'kick' as far as being carbonated anymore. Maybe it's just been too long since I had one that I don't remember.

I agree; I'm not really a fan of the Guinness bottles & cans. They need to be stored at room temperature to even approach having the same-sized foamy head as the tap-poured stuff; but storing them at room temp makes them taste flat to me, too.

The cans still use the widget, just not the bottles. Guinness from the bottle is awful, it's barely the same beer. I think they only sell that to try and compete with the rest of the beer brands that sell bottles, but it sucks. If you're going to buy Guinness, do it right... can. :)

edit: actually I think they sell two types of bottles, one with a widget, one without. Not totally sure.

Last edited:
you're one of the best posters on this board, way better than me. Please keep bringing quality analysis and enthusiasm to the board! That is a RARE combination (no offense to some of our long standing posters whom I also respect!)

OTG--

I always, always enjoy your posts and consider you a good friend here and a quality poster.

Here's looking to a great year of yet another highly competitive season.

"It all starts in the trenches," so hopefully that base is covered thoroughly.

Thanks for the kind words, Brothers!! :D

I love coming here, sharing notions, and learning from my Fellow Patriot Fans!!

Back at ya, Brother Fly ~ You're one of the kindest, coolest heads, hereabouts ~ a true asset to the conversation. :cool:

Very surprised to hear'f Guinness producing anything but Excellence!! :eek:

Don't get me wrong: Guinness is a bit too much for my wimpy tastes.

Chipped my tooth, the first time I drank one straight. :eek:

But I've always admired the Craftsmanship.

And I do love me a Black + Blue or Two!! :D Used to frequent The Strange Brew with a Lassie of mine, several years ago, and we'd get those constantly!! LOVE that place!! :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back