PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I know Im crazy, but I want Denver more than Indy..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: why Denver has the upper hand??

Denver's D is very special. They close on the ball better than any team in the league. Their home field advantage is special. Their running attack is special.

I'm not saying the Pats cannot beat them, but to say that they are not special is pushing it, I think. They're as "special" as any team in the league, minus Chicago perhaps.

Pats726 said:
Why is that the case with Denver?? I think it might be better to see what and how this team can deal with Denver...because it may be we;kll have to play them. Is it the linebackers being fast? the running game not being up to par and then NOT having a long passing game to spread the field?? What is it in the matchups?? Why can Indy for instance play them so well all the time and the Pats always seem to lose??
Denver may be knocked off by San Diego who seems to be raedy for a big step...but how did Denver lose to St Louis??
I would hope it is Indy instead of Denver...could be Jaxonville as well..but here..or a rematch the Cinci, although their house of cards is falling.

Put simply, Denver is a fast team and has finally figured out how to put that speed to good use on D. On offense, they always have an advantage in being able to capitalize on rollouts/bootlegs/crossing routes due to the speed advantage.

Our D is at a disadvantage because we are a more physical D and cannot always play up to the speed of Denver's offense. The Broncos employ the use of misdirection often so that is also something we have to account for. I believe our D has to account for so many things in the passing and running game that it limits our ability to be aggressive.

The defense however, matches up better than our offense at this point. We don't have the vertical game to spread out their coverage YET. The Broncos shut down our run game easily and since our passing attack was limited, they held an advantage in coverage. We had our chances downfield but the passes weren't there. If you watched the Raiders last night, they converted many downfield passes of 15+ yards because they threw to Moss from the start, thus spreading out Denver's D (not to mention Moss drew double coverage).

Our key to beating them on offense is to be aggressive in the medium-to-long range passing game, which come playoff time should be better off than in September. Better early in the game as well, Denver has had the benefit of sitting on a lead most of the season - nothing like an early lead to force the Snake to try and make plays (i.e., commit turnovers).

Sean Pa Patriot said:
I think we will shut Indy down Nov 5th... But Denver is nothing special, I know it will have to be out in Denver, and they seem to own us, but I want to beat them , they just are not that good.. there defense is ok, but give us a few weeks with the new recievers, and see what happens..

Nope, you aren't crazy, we want Denver. And as much as i hate saying this its not "they seem to own us", but they do own us. The only way to get that monkey off your back is for the Pats to go out there and beat them preferrably in a big game like the AFC championship.

In 2001 the pats came from nowhere to win the SuperBowl in what was supposed to be one of the biggest mismatches in SuperBowl history, so please, no more of these ~ wuss ~ comments about dodging teams, (makes me want to throw up .... baarrrfffffffff, look see what you did!)

richpats said:
Put simply, Denver is a fast team and has finally figured out how to put that speed to good use on D. On offense, they always have an advantage in being able to capitalize on rollouts/bootlegs/crossing routes due to the speed advantage.

Our D is at a disadvantage because we are a more physical D and cannot always play up to the speed of Denver's offense. The Broncos employ the use of misdirection often so that is also something we have to account for. I believe our D has to account for so many things in the passing and running game that it limits our ability to be aggressive.

The defense however, matches up better than our offense at this point. We don't have the vertical game to spread out their coverage YET. The Broncos shut down our run game easily and since our passing attack was limited, they held an advantage in coverage. We had our chances downfield but the passes weren't there. If you watched the Raiders last night, they converted many downfield passes of 15+ yards because they threw to Moss from the start, thus spreading out Denver's D (not to mention Moss drew double coverage).

Our key to beating them on offense is to be aggressive in the medium-to-long range passing game, which come playoff time should be better off than in September. Better early in the game as well, Denver has had the benefit of sitting on a lead most of the season - nothing like an early lead to force the Snake to try and make plays (i.e., commit turnovers).

Exactly right, NE has to stretch the Denver coverage in order to be successful, which they couldn't do in the 17-7 loss. Remember, NE had them in the playoff game last year, they really outplayed Denver on offense and especially defense, if not for the turnovers...

In the St. Louis game, Denver fell behind, and Plummer was awful, throwing three interceptions.

My 2 pennies.....if we had to play the Broncos again, wether it be home or away, i think we need to score first and if possible with 7 not 3. If we get Denver to play catch up, we can get Jake to play desperation mode, and we all know, he is not so good playing that way. If we get on the board first and make it 10-0 we win. Denver is a very good team this year.

jay

Why does everyone seem to forget when Brady and BB panced the Broncos in '03? Intentional Safety *****!
The point is that they've beat us 2 consecutive times that doesn't constitute ownership.
The pink slip for Indy on the other hand is safely in Brady and BB's pockets.

Pats_AZ said:
i think we need to score first and if possible with 7 not 3.

Denver's offense hasn't produced much in the 1st quarter this year (1 score in 12 drives) - they play it conservative, knowing the D won't put them in a hole early on. Getting that early TD means everything. Their philosophy on offense is to 1) score first 2) get a 2-possession lead and 3) let the D hold that lead. They have won their last 3 games that way.

Anyone who wants anything to do with Denver is completely nuts. They have the best defense out there AND they own the Pats head to head.

My hope is that they meet up with Indy in the playoffs and Indy comes out on top. I don't know about the last couple years but I remember Indy killing Denver in the playoffs twice 3 or 4 years ago.

For the same reason I want nothing to do with Denver I don't feel so bad about the Pats playing Indy.

And as for the safety game, who was the QB for denver that game? Quoting that desperation win over a back-up QB is as bad as Dolphins fans bragging about beating the Pats to end last season.

My thoughts on this:

Denver is playing tremendously on defense right now, but if they have the misfortune of matching up against a team with a very good OL, they are going to get smoked like last year. Denver's act of flooding the LOS and using their team speed to get themselves back into position will not work if a QB is given decent time. Then, if they are forced to back off a little, their run D will drop off. I fear them because they have NE's number, but I think Denver is a paper tiger this year.

Indy is a good team, but their D will be their undoing. I think NE will destroy them when they play in a few weeks. Indy is god-awful at stopping the run, they aren't all that good in coverage and their pass rush has declined. If Indy holds NE under 24 points I'll be shocked.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
Anyone who wants anything to do with Denver is completely nuts. They have the best defense out there AND they own the Pats head to head.

We nor the team really have a choice when it comes to who we play in the playoffs. If its Denver, so be it, the Pats have to prepare to win the best they know how, history be damned.

Denver is the team to beat and the Broncos know this.
Great points from posters and I'll reiterate a few.

The Broncos have a better defense than their offense, but on offense we have some tough factors.
Javon Walker is a big problem as is Rod Smith. We also need to put pressure on Jake but make sure we can cover if he scrambles. He's the kind of QB that we could get INT's from if he is put in tough positions. Our DB's need to be ready.

We need to beat their defense with good ball control, 3rd down conversions and a quick passing attack. Our offense has the ability to drive on them and the element of suprise is the best way to deal with their defense and their staff. We should also takes some shots downfield-hopefully our passing game will progress.

I'm very impressed by their defense but as long as they keep showing us their stuff-the more time we'll have to prepare.

TomBrady'sGoat said:

My hope is that they meet up with Indy in the playoffs and Indy comes out on top. I don't know about the last couple years but I remember Indy killing Denver in the playoffs twice 3 or 4 years ago.

For the same reason I want nothing to do with Denver I don't feel so bad about the Pats playing Indy.

And as for the safety game, who was the QB for denver that game? Quoting that desperation win over a back-up QB is as bad as Dolphins fans bragging about beating the Pats to end last season.
The donkeys doesn't have the best Defense.If Big Ben could beat them,I know Brady can if he really puts his mind to it.Here's the secret to beating Denver.In a big game situation make ''Jake the fake'' beat you.Put the entire game in Jake's hands.He crumbles every time.I also agree with the comment about San Diego.The Chargers just may win that division.The Chiefs can also make things interesting once Trent Green returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes