PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Knew We not "Best Ever," go ahead hate me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I Knew We not "Best Ever", go ahead hate me

I don't think people will hate you for saying the Patriots are not the best ever. I think if they read all of your posts, there would be plenty of other things to hate you for.

ROTFL......

if the pats go 19--0, it is the greatest season ever played by an NFL team, simply because no team has ever done it.

as to whether the "team" that played the "season" is the greatest ever, there can and will be a reasonable debate about that.

my own view is that things change too much over the decades to say that any one team is/was the "greatest ever." i think we can say that there are several teams that belong in the discussion of the greatest team ever. if the Patriots win a fourth superbowl this year or next i would put that list as follows:

Brown-Graham Browns
Lombardi-Starr Packers
Landry-Staubach Cowboys
Noll-Bradshaw Steelers
Walsh-Montana 49ers
Belichick-Brady Patriots

I don't put the 85 Bears or the Elway Bronco's on the list because they didn't dominate for an extended period of time. The toughest to leave off is the Aikman Cowboys, but I leave them off because it's about domination at the championship level over an extended period of time. i think that team missed its chance to be on this list due to the fight between jones and johnson.

Brown went to 10 Championship Games in the old AAFC and NFL; Lombardi won five NFL titles, including two SB's; Landry went to five SB's (four with Staubach); Noll and Bradshaw won four rings; The Montana teams won four.

I leave the Shula Dolphins off the list because his five SB appearances spanned three QB's and 15 Seasons.

it's easier to say which is the greatest team of an era. on the above assumptions, I'd say:

Best team before (overlapping) the Modern Era: Brown-Graham Browns
Best team of the Modern Era before (overlapping) the SB era: Lombardi-Starr Packers
Best team of the SB Era, before the cap and free agency: Noll-Bradshaw Steelers
Best team of the SB Era, after the cap and free agency: Belichick-Brady Patriots.

Last edited:

if the pats go 19--0, it is the greatest season ever played by an NFL team, simply because no team has ever done it.

as to whether the "team" that played the "season" is the greatest ever, there can and will be a reasonable debate about that.

my own view is that things change too much over the decades to say that any one team is/was the "greatest ever." i think we can say that there are several teams that belong in the discussion of the greatest team ever. if the Patriots win a fourth superbowl this year or next i would put that list as follows:

Brown-Graham Browns
Lombardi-Starr Packers
Landry-Staubach Cowboys
Noll-Bradshaw Steelers
Walsh-Montana 49ers
Belichick-Brady Patriots

I don't put the 85 Bears or the Elway Bronco's on the list because they didn't dominate for an extended period of time. The toughest to leave off is the Aikman Cowboys, but I leave them off because it's about domination at the championship level over an extended period of time. i think that team missed its chance to be on this list due to the fight between jones and johnson.

Brown went to 10 Championship Games in the old AAFC and NFL; Lombardi won five NFL titles, including two SB's; Landry went to five SB's (four with Staubach); Noll and Bradshaw won four rings; The Montana teams won four.

I leave the Shula Dolphins off the list because his five SB appearances spanned three QB's and 15 Seasons.

it's easier to say which is the greatest team of an era. on the above assumptions, I'd say:

Best team before (overlapping) the Modern Era: Brown-Graham Browns
Best team of the Modern Era before (overlapping) the SB era: Lombardi-Starr Packers
Best team of the SB Era, before the cap and free agency: Noll-Bradshaw Steelers
Best team of the SB Era, after the cap and free agency: Belichick-Brady Patriots.

i dont disagree with your post. all i am saying is the single best team ever, that you would put on the field to win one game against any other team, is not the 07 patriots. but as a franchise, if we win SB this year (as i think we will) we make a good case for best dynasty ever. if we win this year + either one of next 2 years, then i think we close the book on best dynasty ever being pats.

I don't see how this game negates that argument. Show me a team you would consider the "best ever" and I'll show you a team that has had several close games.

i dont disagree with your post. all i am saying is the single best team ever, that you would put on the field to win one game against any other team, is not the 07 patriots. but as a franchise, if we win SB this year (as i think we will) we make a good case for best dynasty ever. if we win this year + either one of next 2 years, then i think we close the book on best dynasty ever being pats.

WHAT!!?? what other team would you put on the field to win that one game against any other team?? I can't think of any other team that i would want to play to win that one game. Tom Brady (possibly the best ever) our WR, the O-line is great for the most part and our defense even though is built with a lot of veterans still don't break they just get a little bendy but make the big plays consistantly. that with Belichick as the HC, i don't know what team your thinking about, but this IS the team to beat.

WHAT!!?? what other team would you put on the field to win that one game against any other team?? I can't think of any other team that i would want to play to win that one game. Tom Brady (possibly the best ever) our WR, the O-line is great for the most part and our defense even though is built with a lot of veterans still don't break they just get a little bendy but make the big plays consistantly. that with Belichick as the HC, i don't know what team your thinking about, but this IS the team to beat.

Took the words right out of my mouth. If someone is so adamant about this year's pats not being the best, maybe that person can state who they feel is the best. That being one team they would put on the field for a one game championship.

all along i never bought into "best team ever" hype. so go ahead and hate me now. emmitt is right, we don't have the depth that an all-time great team would need. we have a very mediocre running game at best. and when our offense isnt dominating an opponent our defense shows its age and wears down rather quickly. this team is more like the rams "greatest show on turf" than we are 70s steelers, 80s 9ers and 90's cowboys. but hey thats fine, greatest show on turf won the superbowl, which i still think we will this year. a and that will make it 4 super bowls in 7 years. in that sense we have a better case for "best dynasty ever" than we do for "best team ever" this year. so go ahead hate on me cuz im not driking the cool aid. but i call it like i see it

No you don't. You talk out your bung hole.

Just like in the other threads.. particularly about Maroney.

We played our worst game for years last night and still beat the eagles.

all along i never bought into "best team ever" hype. so go ahead and hate me now. emmitt is right, we don't have the depth that an all-time great team would need. we have a very mediocre running game at best. and when our offense isnt dominating an opponent our defense shows its age and wears down rather quickly. this team is more like the rams "greatest show on turf" than we are 70s steelers, 80s 9ers and 90's cowboys. but hey thats fine, greatest show on turf won the superbowl, which i still think we will this year. a and that will make it 4 super bowls in 7 years. in that sense we have a better case for "best dynasty ever" than we do for "best team ever" this year. so go ahead hate on me cuz im not driking the cool aid. but i call it like i see it

I hate you.....:mad:

You do realize that all of the "best teams ever" lost a game or two, right? Don't you think you're overlooking the small factor that none of them did or could show up and play their best game every time?

The one team that did win them all, oh, come on, have you ever seen how many games they struggled with that year? Have you seen the level of competition that they enjoyed?

You really need a personal adjustment of what it means for a team to be great. Great teams cannot be expected to never face new wrinkles, have an off night, and struggle. The point is that a very good Eagles team played their SB last night, and we still beat them.

You do realize that all of the "best teams ever" lost a game or two, right? Don't you think you're overlooking the small factor that none of them did or could show up and play their best game every time?

The one team that did win them all, oh, come on, have you ever seen how many games they struggled with that year? Have you seen the level of competition that they enjoyed?

You really need a personal adjustment of what it means for a team to be great. Great teams cannot be expected to never face new wrinkles, have an off night, and struggle. The point is that a very good Eagles team played their SB last night, and we still beat them.

Not only that, but nearly everything the Eagles did turned out good. The Eagles were playing for history more then the Patriots. They on-side kicked early in the game, went for it on fourth down, flea flicker, and never thought about kicking field goals. It was all about this game, and they lost.

Why bother hating you? Who are you?

The Patriots record speaks for itself. 11-0. In a few months, it could well be 19-0; we'll see. Then you can drag this post back up out of the muck to rehash what you knew.

newton_tom_cat said:

Best ever doesn't mean we're the best in everything. Sure, there have been teams with greater depth, superior defenses, better special teams, etc., but overall the Pats are a contender for the best ever. Our O is top notch, our D is very strong, our ST are quite good, the Pats recruit and draft effectively, generally develop superior game plans, and are always well prepared. Whatever team you look at from another era, they just about always lost some and played some close ones. We've played 2 close ones this year and have lost none. If we keep up like that, we are as 'best ever' as any other team that earned that accolade.

This team is not the BEST team ever. I woild put the 85' Bears, 89' Niners, and 94' Niners above this team. The Pats will probbaly go down in the top 5-6 if they run the table, but I would still take those 3 teams just mentioned over them. You can't just say that the Pats will be the BEST ever if they go 19-0. If that was the case, the 72' Dolphins would be the BEST ever, which they are not. The 2007 Patriots will go down as possibly the greatest offense ever, although I still question that considering they have no pro-bowl caliber running back. When you look at all the great offenses in history, they all had pro bowlers at all the skill positions. The 89 Niners with Roger Craig, the 99 Rams with Marshall Faulk, and the 98 Vikings with Robert Smith. You can say the Vikings had Randall Cunningham as the QB, but he played like a pro bowler that year and made the pro bowl. No running back on this team should evn get a pro bowl vote! Also, look at the defense. Our defense is simply not that good. It's one of the top 10 defenses in the league, but is a far cry from the 85 Bears, 89 Niners, and 94 Niners when you look at the talent those teams had on those units. Anyway, my 2 cents.

Oh so we won a close game and now all of a sudden we aren't one of the best teams of all time? Give me an f'ing break. The Pats have destroyed almost everybody this year, a close game was going to happen eventually.

Yeah it's not like the other "Best team ever's" ever played a few close games.

I love how this board over-reacts.

Waayyy too early to even talk about, imo, if you go 19-0, there is absolutely no arguement against it, though.

Colts went 13-0 and I don't even remember this being discussed, they must not have been thought of as highly due to the margin of victory thing.

The table is set though, last night really could be a good thing for the Pats in that it let's them know how they can't have lapses even against average teams.

With that said, they have the chance, but there is alot of football left.

Yeah it's not like the other "Best team ever's" ever played a few close games.

I love how this board over-reacts.

How is it overreacting? Nobody is saying it's not "one of" the best teams of all time. Some people, like myself, are just stating it is NOT "the" best team of all time. This isn't the BCS in college football. Teams don't get rated ahead of other teams just because they had fewer losses. The 85 Bears lost 1 game, 89 Niners lost 2 games, and the 94 Niners lost 3 games. However, when push came to shove when it counted(aka the playoffs), they DOMINATED. If you look at those 3 teams, they had no weakenesses whatsover. NONE. The 94 Niners had 9 pro bowlers. Steve Young at QB, Ricky Watters at RB, Jerry Rice at WR, Brent Jones at TE, Jesse Sapolu and Bart Oates at OL, Dana Stubblefield at DT, and Deion Sanders, Merton Hanks, and Tim McDonald as Defensive Backs. They were stacked. I'm sorry, but that team top to bottom was better than this 2007 team. It's not saying the 2007 Pats aren't great, but it's just not the best ever. That's all.

Last edited:

ok, i hate you.

people ***** because we win by 30pts and then they ***** because we win by 3pts. what the **** is it going to be, we won...that is the name of the game.

Waayyy too early to even talk about, imo, if you go 19-0, there is absolutely no arguement against it, though.

Colts went 13-0 and I don't even remember this being discussed, they must not have been thought of as highly due to the margin of victory thing.

The table is set though, last night really could be a good thing for the Pats in that it let's them know how they can't have lapses even against average teams.

With that said, they have the chance, but there is alot of football left.

well said Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back