PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I just rewatched Super Bowl 46....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gronk was just so hobbled that game... Chase Blackburn or whatever that backup LB is called never intercepts Brady if Gronk's healthy. If anything, Gronk's coming down with that.

The footage was up on Youtube last year. It's been removed by now, but I think I've downloaded it before it got removed.
You downloaded that one? Lemme know id love to get a copy.

Oh god. Thats in my Top 5 of BB/TB era non SB games.

I don't think I've ever seen a team get so physically dominated and abused over 3 quarters but still win a game.

That game is the very definition of 2001-2015 Patriots football

The intentional safety win in Denver in 2003 is another great one. I'd really like to see that game again.

when brady threw that td to hernandez, we were up 17-9. basically in the drivers seat

one more td and we were champs but the offense couldn't do **** the rest of the game.
One of the reasons the Super Bowl win over Seattle was so satisfying was it helped to mitigate this close loss, along with '07 and, I'd say, '06.

Yes, all the Super Bowl victories were close but the first three didn't feel like losses before they turned into victories, if that makes sense. The Seattle game felt like another stomach punch loss, so winning it was....nice. I don't know what I'm saying but I know what I mean.

The 2011 Patriots defense was a special kind of awful:

2nd most yards and pass yards allowed in the league
Run defense was in the bottom third of the league
Almost 500 yards allowed and 390 yards passing to Chad Henne and the Dolphins, plus another almost 400+ yard game later in the year
Almost 450 yards allowed and 369 yards passing to Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Bills, plus another 400 yard game later in the year
504 yards allowed to Jason Campbell and the Raiders.
466 yards allowed and almost 400 yards passing to Vince Young and the Eagles
Almost 450 yards allowed and 350ish passing to Dan Orlovsky and the Colts.
463 yards allowed to Rex Grossman and the Redskins
Almost 400 yards allowed to Tebow's Broncos
I believe they were also last or close to in the NFL in time of possession allowed and yards allowed per drive

Let that sink in.

Take Brady away and this was not a playoff team.

Almost 500 yards allowed and 390 yards passing to Chad Henne and the Dolphins, plus another almost 400+ yard game later in the year
Almost 450 yards allowed and 369 yards passing to Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Bills, plus another 400 yard game later in the year
I believe they were also last or close to in the NFL in time of possession allowed and yards allowed per drive

Let that sink in.

Exactly. BB obviously did a great job that year as the defense (secondary especially) was an absolute joke. But Brady is the real reason. Gronk's injury was everything that year. We were so close and were the better team in my opinion (same as in 07). Go figure.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
2011 was karma for having Hernandez even though we had no idea he was a serial killer. Still, we were slow close to that win. I wonder though, if we did win, Hernandez could have been the MVP. He had a really good game. Imagine the backlash after that once he gets arrested and everything.

Wrong year. Pollard was wither 2013 or 14 I believe.

Pollard did it ALL:

"The Pollard Connection[edit]
Beginning in 2008, while Pollard was with the Kansas City Chiefs, a series of events began to take place that would alter the course of four Patriots' seasons.

During the first week of the 2008 season, Pollard was knocked to the ground while trying to sack Tom Brady. On the ground, Pollard lunged at Brady’s legs, connecting his red Chiefs helmet to Brady’s left knee and tearing the quarterback’s anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments. Brady’s season was prematurely over.[19]

In 2009, while Pollard was with the Houston Texans, Brady threw a pass to Wes Welker to the short left side of the field, which he then took up the field. Pollard closed in on Welker fast, forcing the diminutive receiver to cut to his right, possibly faster than he anticipated. His left plant foot slipped and he tore his ACL and MCL, missing the playoffs that year.[19]

In the AFC Championship Game following the 2011 season, Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski caught a pass of about 20 yards with Pollard in coverage. Pollard wrapped Gronkowski up to take him to the ground. As Gronkowski hit the turf, Pollard’s right thigh forcefully landed on Gronkowski’s left ankle. Gronkowski suffered a high ankle sprain. Gronkowski played in the Super Bowl two weeks later, but the injury helped limit him to just two catches for 26 yards.[19]

In the 2012 AFC Championship Game, Pollard made a helmet-to-helmet collision with Stevan Ridley that forced a fumble and the Ravens recovered it. Ridley eventually left the game due to a concussion and the eventual Super Bowl champ Ravens won the game 28-13.

In that same game, Pollard was the last player to tackle Aaron Hernandez, who would be arrested in June 2013 for the murder of Odin Lloyd.[20]"

I didn't know the whole Hernandez/Lloyd thing was Pollard's fault as well. Damn.

btw, am I alone in that I pretty much never rewatch games? Clips/highlights maybe, but I never sit down and rewatch an old game.

My response is the same as when asked to go to the mall shopping with my wife ... I'd rather walk over hot coals barefoot.................

btw, am I alone in that I pretty much never rewatch games? Clips/highlights maybe, but I never sit down and rewatch an old game.

You are not. Just don't have the time...

On Sundays I'm shelping one of the 3 kids to play club soccer all over the region. Its crazy.

I'll DVR all of them and watch them in their entirity but when I do re-watch its specific plays only. Not the whole thing.

the pats were winning until less than a minute left
Gronk had a very real, good chance to catch that Hail Mary at the end...it would have taken the usual: total concentration on the ball and hanging on...he's big enough he could have taken the hit...but I think the injury was, like you say, too detrimental

My response is the same as when asked to go to the mall shopping with my wife ... I'd rather walk over hot coals barefoot.................
That reminds me, I forgot again to renew my FOTM card...

Screw this, I'm going to Laser Floyd.

Let that sink in.

In the last 11 years, teams with insanely unqualified stats have won the SB...('07 Giants, '12 Ravens, '15 Broncos)

Last edited:
Pollard did it ALL:

"The Pollard Connection[edit]
Beginning in 2008, while Pollard was with the Kansas City Chiefs, a series of events began to take place that would alter the course of four Patriots' seasons.

During the first week of the 2008 season, Pollard was knocked to the ground while trying to sack Tom Brady. On the ground, Pollard lunged at Brady’s legs, connecting his red Chiefs helmet to Brady’s left knee and tearing the quarterback’s anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments. Brady’s season was prematurely over.[19]

In 2009, while Pollard was with the Houston Texans, Brady threw a pass to Wes Welker to the short left side of the field, which he then took up the field. Pollard closed in on Welker fast, forcing the diminutive receiver to cut to his right, possibly faster than he anticipated. His left plant foot slipped and he tore his ACL and MCL, missing the playoffs that year.[19]

In the AFC Championship Game following the 2011 season, Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski caught a pass of about 20 yards with Pollard in coverage. Pollard wrapped Gronkowski up to take him to the ground. As Gronkowski hit the turf, Pollard’s right thigh forcefully landed on Gronkowski’s left ankle. Gronkowski suffered a high ankle sprain. Gronkowski played in the Super Bowl two weeks later, but the injury helped limit him to just two catches for 26 yards.[19]

In the 2012 AFC Championship Game, Pollard made a helmet-to-helmet collision with Stevan Ridley that forced a fumble and the Ravens recovered it. Ridley eventually left the game due to a concussion and the eventual Super Bowl champ Ravens won the game 28-13.

In that same game, Pollard was the last player to tackle Aaron Hernandez, who would be arrested in June 2013 for the murder of Odin Lloyd.[20]"

I didn't know the whole Hernandez/Lloyd thing was Pollard's fault as well. Damn.
In that first one, Kevin wasn't there to block him because of the hero security guards in Lafayette searching concert goers earlier that year

We have so many great wins to rewatch, why would you? Also, does anybody have a copy of the playoff win in San Diego? Dying to find a tape of that.
LT Jr. is still whining about that?

when brady threw that td to hernandez, we were up 17-9. basically in the drivers seat

one more td and we were champs but the offense couldn't do **** the rest of the game.

Specifically remember Brady dissecting Their defense to the tune of 14 straight completions and he landed awkwardly on his shoulder sometime during the 3rd quarter and he was not quite the same (Giants started getting a little more pressure too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back