PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I just don't understand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we had traded Deion for a #2, maybe we would have used it.

:eek: Say what? No offence there dude but this is among the most dumb-ass comments I've ever seen on this board.

Last edited:
It was a beautiful day out here in the SF Bay area. I can't believe I wasted it sitting inside for 11 hours for 1 frigging draft pick -:) That may be what aggravates people more than anything. The next Patriots pick in the 2007 NFL draft will be in April of 2008 -:) Oh I know what te spin will be already. I think I'm more upset that I wasted the whole frigging day.

What I think is so funny is that most people knew they would likely trade back in 28 and aquiring future pick(s) (and suggested it) yet when it happens people still start freaking out like it's some horrible event.

Why not? Were you expecting NO's to be there last year? They were picking #2 last year. SF was picking #11 this year.

It's the NFC -- anything can happen.

Say what you want, but the simple fact is other teams are more improved RIGHT NOW than NE. That is what matters for 2007. 2008 could be another story, but I'd rather focus on winning the 2007 SB than the 2008 SB.

Fair enough. But we've added a lot of help in the offseason through FA. I certainly think that we've improved a lot since the loss to IND. There is a balance between short term and long term; I think we've touched on both.

What I think is so funny is that most people knew they would likely trade back in 28 and aquiring future pick(s) (and suggested it) yet when it happens people still start freaking out like it's some horrible event.
Well said!

I think I'm most upset that I wasted a beautiful day sitting inside for 11 hours for 1 draft pick -:) No matter what the Patriots did, the message board spin masters would have said how briliant it was -:)

For those who need it:

panic.gif

I am fine with transferring value to 2008. I think that's a smart move, given the overall crappiness of this draft and the fact that the Pats won't be getting any comp picks next year. The think that made my eyes pop out is the #!%& 4th-round compensation this year. You're trading a 1st away to the future, a second-day pick is sorry compensation.

This is a draft that is all about value for the Pats. Why pay a second rounder, 1str round money. The second round pick is Welker......good or bad we will see in the future.

I think when this is all said and done the Pats will be a stronger now and in the future with SF pick next year as well. Merriweather will be an excellent player for us and hopefully replace Harrison.

Some analysis.....Banks.

"New England Patriots -- And the rich get richer. The Pats had two first-round picks, 24 and 28, and they too played the board well, as they usually do. With No. 24 they took Miami safety Brandon Meriweather, who is slated to be Rodney Harrison's eventual replacement.

And then, with the players who were available to them at 28 rated as second-rounders on their board, they parlayed another team's need for one particular player into a 2008 first-rounder that could wind up being far more valuable than this year's 28th pick.

New England sent No. 28 to San Francisco, which was eager to take Central Michigan offensive tackle Joe Staley just ahead of No. 29 Baltimore. The Ravens had Staley in their sights as the answer to their glaring need at tackle. But the Patriots cleaned up, picking up the 49ers fourth-rounder (110th overall) and their first-rounder in 2008. That gives New England four fourth-round picks this year, meaning they have the currency to go after any player they want to in rounds two or three"

Since we have not seen any movement I think it is safe to assume that the Pats view this draft as very thin. FA signings have been huge this year...so balance the two and I am not sure why people are freaking out about this.

For all anyone here knows the Patriots may have tried to trade up from thier 3rd round pick to grab someone but couldn't find a dance partner.

(A) That may just be one of the most ignorant statements I've read all day.

(B) A close second.

(C) Great. Even more short-sighted than before. Let's get a pick now instead of later, because that player will help us now. Let's neglect the future. Fantastic.

(D) Finally some sense.

I endorsed the move and still got killed by the moderator!

(A) - I think Branch would have contributed to a Super Bowl last year. The team lost its best receiver and still was only 1 minute away from making the Super Bowl. He could have made that first down! Disagree? Fine! Call me ignorant for that belief: ridiculous.

(B) - The Pats are the best team in the league next year without injuryies. Are you arguing that? Thats how I read that.

(C) - Mike Ditka traded away the future for Ricky Williams. Dont think having a 24 year old in 2008 instead of a 23 year old is really selling away the future.

(D) Again, if BB/SP didn't like the men on the board, the trade is endorsed by me.

How about using the 1st to trade for a LB next year. In addition, we still have an extra 4th.

Better he wastes the pick on another T. Banta-Cain so Draftnicks can be happy.

Well, Tully was a 7th rounder. I'm not sure anyone was doing cartwheels over that.

Me, personally, I think Poz is going to be a Pro Bowler, but it's obvious Belichick didn't think he fit in with the scheme. That's OK, no biggie.

I think people imagined they'd get a 1st day pick in return this year. In other words, the argument is that the Pats got gypped, not so much that they traded away a 1st rounder.

I endorsed the move and still got killed by the moderator!

(A) - I think Branch would have contributed to a Super Bowl last year. The team lost its best receiver and still was only 1 minute away from making the Super Bowl. He could have made that first down! Disagree? Fine! Call me ignorant for that belief: ridiculous.

(B) - The Pats are the best team in the league next year without injuryies. Are you arguing that? Thats how I read that.

(C) - Mike Ditka traded away the future for Ricky Williams. Dont think having a 24 year old in 2008 instead of a 23 year old is really selling away the future.

(D) Again, if BB/SP didn't like the men on the board, the trade is endorsed by me.

You did, but not before making some blanket statements. ;)

BOTTOMLINE:

If I didn't like the talent in the first round this year, I would try and trade out of it to get a future #1 next year REGARDLESS of the talent pool that may be available next year.

Simple reason is: At least I give myself a chance to look at players next year who might give me the impact I want rather than just pick a player who I know doesn't have "first round talent" in this years draft just for the sake of picking someone.

Not a novel idea, but I guess I just wanted to point out that it doesn't really matter what the pool is like next year because if the same thing happened in 2008 and I realized I didn't see the value in picking someone next year, I'd trade that pick too for a first rounder in 2009 just to see if that would be the year that I could finally get my money's worth in terms of talent vs. first round money.

I am fine with transferring value to 2008. I think that's a smart move, given the overall crappiness of this draft and the fact that the Pats won't be getting any comp picks next year. The think that made my eyes pop out is the #!%& 4th-round compensation this year. You're trading a 1st away to the future, a second-day pick is sorry compensation.

+1. exactly.

BOTTOMLINE:

If I didn't like the talent in the first round this year, I would try and trade out of it to get a future #1 next year REGARDLESS of the talent pool that may be available next year.

Simple reason is: At least I give myself a chance to look at players next year who might give me the impact I want rather than just pick a player who I know doesn't have "first round talent" in this years draft just for the sake of picking someone.

Not a novel idea for sure, but I guess I just wanted to point out that it doesn't really matter what the pool is like next year because if the same thing happened in 2008 and I realized I didn't see the value in picking someone next year, I'd trade that pick too for a first rounder in 2009 just to see if that would be the year that I could finally get my money's worth in terms of talent vs. first round money.

I agree as well. If San Fran wanted a QB (like the Browns) they may have offered higher than a 4th. But they wanted an OL which was valuable to them enough to make the offer, but not a must have scenario.

The Pats probably saw Harris and Poz at 28 and said Harris was not a 3 down back and Poz was not a ILB. If we're going to replace Bruschi we need a sure thing in the 1st round. Since Bruschi will be playing this year they'll look at LB again next year.

Does all this panic happen every year after the draft? We still have a ****load of picks left and it looks like a ****load of picks next year with a better class. Calm yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes