PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

i just dont get it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolaid23

On the Roster
Reaction score
i guess i just dont get all this talk about drafting a RB or signing a FA RB. what was the point of taking maroney in the first round if you just want to pair him up with someone else. the guy played well for his FIRST YEAR. why do soo many people think we need 2 backs? we were ok with a. smith, we were great with dillon (till he turned 30) why does everyone think we need a two back system? we need a bell cow that gets 20-25 touches a game. switching backs can dictate what a team is going to do, for instance, i doubt many teams worried about dillon catching out of the backfield or stacking the line with kevin faulk. maroney is the man for us. lets chill out and give the guy the guy a chance. i understand getting a backup for him but lets not even consider paying an ahman green, deshaun foster or for gods sake .....MARSHALL FAULK! (may have been the dumbest post ive read since the BB bashing.) sorry guys just venting.

I think BB would have liked to have had a 2 back option available until Maroney becomes truly established. However, Dillon has continued to struggle with something (injuries, condition, aging), not to mention their styles are too dissimilar making the blocking scheme a concern. I think BB would have liked to keep Corey around as a goal line back and highly functional short term injury protection. But not at $5.5M ($4.4 against the cap). I think Corey isn't all that motivated to go through all that another season in a Jerome Bettis type short yardage/goal line role entails for $2.5M. Jerome did it for a ring, Corey already has one.

I do think we need a Bus, not a second back to split carries with Maroney. But someone with a little more successful resume than Evans and a lot more punishing style than Faulk. Basically a bruiser/power back with a little gas left, and probably preferably one still yearning for a ring.

Corey might be back at a discount anyway. There are a surplus of vet RBs out there, and CD might not find a starting gig paying him the $$ he wants.

If there are no starting jobs available and he still wants to play in a limited role in the NFL, I'd hope he'd look at NE as a top option.

Faulk is getting up there. Even if we assume that he has 3 more years in him, he isn't going to have more than 5-7 rushes per game unless something goes haywire.

Evans is a good guy to have around, but he is hardly a threat.

Pass will only be back if Evans is not, IMHO.

So you are saying that you wouldn't like to upgrade the stable? Maroney is dynamite, but if he gets injured than the RBs will be worse than this year's WRs. Significantly worse.

nfl is becoming a 2 back league slowly.

if u have another solid back behind him..thats very good. Yes faulk is good but thats why were looking at big guys..power guys probably to do goal line/short yardage and occasional breathersto run time. whoever we get doesnt expect to get more than 5 carries per game.

We don't need to draft a RB in the first day. There will be good ones available on day 2.

We do need a good vet backup and short yardage back. Chris Brown is a FA and could be signed relatively cheap.

They only have 3 rb need at least 2 more .

I don't think it's that you want to pair him with another back, it's the fact you almost have to based on his performance and the way he runs. If not, you're looking at a lot of 3rd and longs. The Pats offense is not built for 3rd and long.

Corey might be back at a discount anyway. There are a surplus of vet RBs out there, and CD might not find a starting gig paying him the $$ he wants.

If there are no starting jobs available and he still wants to play in a limited role in the NFL, I'd hope he'd look at NE as a top option.

when was he no longer under contract?

you're not wrong, anyone talking about drafting a RB on the first day is just being silly and reactionary.

the question remains whether or not maroney is ready to be a single back though, and going with two backs allows you to better deal with injuries. the ideal situation here is an older guy who can do something for you now but won't be around for very long.

hmm, now who fits that description perfectly?

I have to disagree with anyone who thinks we need a goal line back. Maroney is a stud and he would not appreciate us bringing someone in to score his touchdowns. we don't need a specific mold for a back just someone who could start should maroney get hurt.

Good afternoon cousins,
I don't want to take carries from LM just, a breather with a veteran who can be bought reasonably and inexpensive with experience. As well as an emergency start. Posted this earlier.

For breakfast, a couple of nice left over Sunday doughnuts (so what) and some DD flavored coffee, starting with an O.J. on this winter day.

My comments might not be worth anything to the astute but we'll fire a few off here.

We need depth.
We have already a pretty good defense and I will address that first. They set a team record for fewest points and played the Colts and the Bengals and others that put up the big numbers. The Colts game bore witness to just running out of bodies and steam. A little more pass rush without blitzes would help.

Just some quick thoughts and I'm sure comments will follow:
How about K.C.'s Jared Allen. Wants out as bad as Branch did here last year. 25 years old. great pass rusher, but.....has the quicks to drop at 6' 6'' and 270 (same size as Thomas of Ravens). Willie M. style? Proven commodity, young, not a two or three year draft choice wait time frame. How can teams double Seymour, with Allen rushing too? More upside than Freeney.

Would you, or the Godfather trade a number one and perhaps (optimistically to fill the DE position in K.C.) Marquis Hill (after all he was a #2 pick and he just won't get playing time here. He might be better than what we think because BB and SP keep him on the roster) for Allen? If we could keep him on the wagon and get him signed to a reasonable contract, I would pull the trigger. Remember only 25 years old! It would get us yet another PR and maybe a drop back LB upon occasion. Isn't that how Thomas worked for the Ravens? Wouldn't he cost less?

Next I would resign Seau for another season. He played with vigor and heart last year (he also wasn't as slow as we were led to believe) and if we could draft a Willis. What teachers and examples Seau, Teddy, Colvin and Vrabel could be but.....now pick up Donnie Edwards at a reasonable FA number to add to the MLB rotation for a year or two and especially on pass downs. Wouldn't you rather have seen him covering down the field with one minute to go in Indy? Seau first and second down and Edwards on third or obvious passing situations.

Now....Let's see! We have taken care of the LB issue. Have gotten a little younger there (with Allen and Willis lets say). Have gotten better pass rushing and have got some future talent.

Lets go for Bly, the CB who wants out of Detroit. In 2006 he was the best CB leading the team with 18 passes defensed and tying for the team lead in interceptions in 2006 with three after leading the Lions with six interceptions in 2005. He's a 29 year old Vet who will not cost the Pats a ton like Nate Clemmons. Bly has the most forced fumbles (17) among all cornerbacks since 1999 (second among all defensive backs). He also ranks sixth among defensive backs (fifth among cornerbacks) with 113 passes defenses since he was a rookie in '99. Now we can draft a CB high to develop, not throw into the fire because Hobbs or Wilson can do nickle (or Gay) and we have some depth.

On offense at RB, we got healthier with Evans signed, but another Vet would help like maybe even Stephen Smith. A thumper who is still able to do 8-10 carries, do short yardage, catch the ball on screens etc. (much better hands than Dillion) and start a game or two if required. He is at the end but has that saavy. Now draft a running back to bring along in the mid rounds.

At WR, still think that Kevin Curtis is the Branch type WR that the Pats feature with better routes and bigger than Branch was but just as fast and will do ST returns.

Now get one of these two WR's. The cerebral Gonzales out of Ohio state who is fast, runs great patterns, has superb hands, is still 6' tall and can get open or his teamate Ginn Jr. who might not have the hands or size but is a burner that can return punts (ala Hester) and can even be used as a DB (BB like multi-talent player). Ginn will be first round or high in the second. Gonzales is late second or early third round

Perfect world stuff, but food for thought!
DW Toys

maroney needs to be featured , and do what he does we dont need another back. we need him to get 20-28 carries . and prove himself!! i for one believe he can. let him runnnnnnn:rocker:

you're not wrong, anyone talking about drafting a RB on the first day is just being silly and reactionary.

the question remains whether or not maroney is ready to be a single back though, and going with two backs allows you to better deal with injuries. the ideal situation here is an older guy who can do something for you now but won't be around for very long.

hmm, now who fits that description perfectly?
I think using a third or fourth round pick at RB this year would actually be a good idea, provided that somebody is there worth the pick. We've got:

Maroney - The man next year
Faulk - Aging
Evans - Good FB, can contribute on short yardage

I think we really need to add another quality player to that mix, somebody who could spell Maroney to keep him fresh and hopefully off of the injury report. The question for me is which type of back the Pats should go after. I'd really like to see them pick up a quick, playmaking type of back like the Jets got with Leon Washington in the draft last year. On the other hand, they could probably use a bruiser as well, unless they think Evans alone will suffice in that role.

Depth is key. Look at the LB situation last season. Indy did a great job of exposing the lack of depth. That is why I'm pushing for the Pats to get a running back because there is always a chance Maroney can get hurt (especially if he plays special teams:eek: ). Also, Dillon probably won't be back.

Depth is key. Look at the LB situation last season. Indy did a great job of exposing the lack of depth. That is why I'm pushing for the Pats to get a running back because there is always a chance Maroney can get hurt (especially if he plays special teams:eek: ). Also, Dillon probably won't be back.

i dont think maroney is on special teams next year. too much of a risk there. and i agree that we could use a back to spell maroney and for a potential replacement to faulk. walker from notre dame isnt a bad choice and he can be had probably in the 4th or 5th round. i like the chris brown idea as well. i mean you cant depend on brown but for spells or emergency back up work i think he can get you through a game. i think its just time to get what we pay for in maroney. 1st round pick, 1st round money, 1st round play time....just realized i have a huge man crush on him now...and its only february.

I agree about the NFL becoming a 3 back league. Nobody is asking to draft a RB on the first day. It is nice to have another RB to keep him fresh all the time.

Please tell me your kidding? You dont get it? Bush/Mcallister, Rhodes/Addai, Benson/Jones, Barber/Jones, Dillon/Maroney... Do you get it yet? This is not slowly becoming a 2 back league..it already is.

This myth regarding the move toward a 'two back' system is exactly that - a myth.

It is unsustainable for a number of obvious reasons - the first being running backs do not like sharing carries, and and as a result yardage and TD's...and therefore.....money (from future contracts).

Look at the examples across the league that are often quoted - Parker/Bettis, Rhodes/Addai, McAllister/Bush, Maroney/Dillon, Benson/Jones and you will notice that two of those situations are about to dissolve, one lasted a single year, and the other two can't have too much longer to run.

In every single case the rookie is the guy who is the 'jonny come lately' - he is the guy being integrated into the system and it is the established vet who is being forced out the door.

There is one expception that springs to mind - Tomlinson/Turner - and even then one of the guys is likely out the door after a couple of under utilized, yet effective ,years.

In most other systems (excluding Shaun Alexander, LJ or LT) Turner would be the de-facto franchise back.

Bettis career was naturally curtailed by retirement therefore there was no controversy.

Not many teams are likely to draft day one or make an FA move for a 'second back' while their current guy hasn't yet peaked.

Maroney needs to see plenty of the ball this year - he can be spelled on 3rd down by Faulk if required and by Evans if really needed.

Maroney isn't Kevin Faulk - he is our No.1 guy - there is simply no need to take carries, TD's or 3rd and short duties away from him and to a guy with less talent.

NM

I think BB would have liked to have had a 2 back option available until Maroney becomes truly established. However, Dillon has continued to struggle with something (injuries, condition, aging), not to mention their styles are too dissimilar making the blocking scheme a concern. I think BB would have liked to keep Corey around as a goal line back and highly functional short term injury protection. But not at $5.5M ($4.4 against the cap). I think Corey isn't all that motivated to go through all that another season in a Jerome Bettis type short yardage/goal line role entails for $2.5M. Jerome did it for a ring, Corey already has one.

I do think we need a Bus, not a second back to split carries with Maroney. But someone with a little more successful resume than Evans and a lot more punishing style than Faulk. Basically a bruiser/power back with a little gas left, and probably preferably one still yearning for a ring.

That player is available on the cheap. Anthony Thomas or Ron Dayne could easily be short yardage/goal line backs and both could probably had in the 1 million range.

Dayne also played very well in the Denver zone blocking scheme. He could be an effective 3rd option if we employ a similar scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down