PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I hope we lose opening day

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as they don't lose their last game I'll be happy.

To me,IMO,what the OP is really talking about is the fact that he does not want to see the Patriots in the limelight on TV constantly,He does not want to see the Patriots as special of thier own news on the bottom of the ESPN sports ticker,He does not want to see Pursuit of perfection all over the papers and on the internet.

I think he wants the old under the radar team that few talk about,The kind of team that is not playing poorly but not seen as unstoppable either,The OP IMO wants a team that wins consistently but is no standout but at the same time is well into contention and he wants maybe an early loss to keep the team under media wrath or attention.

And IMO thats not such a bad way of looking at it,I don't want to see the Patriots everyday and everywhere - Only on sundays or monday nights ..but then again, I will never wish for the team to lose ANYTIME either.

I put off reading this thread until now. But I'm with this guy.
Now, I would never "want my team to lose", BUT This past season, while Awesome in many ways, was also very... weird.
Winning, I like.
Being in the center of a "Pusuit of Pefection" whirlwind media phenomenon...not so much.
I could do without the "Dog and Pony Show".

"Looking back upon his handling of the incident, Roosevelt thought he 'never saw a bluff carried more resolutely through to the final limit.' And writing to a friend a few days later, he observed: 'I have always been fond of the West African proverb: "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." ' "

T. Roosevelt

Sure, some of theese threads are questionable, but let's try and not beat the kids up over them.

Last edited:
I was fine after they lost to the Colts last year. I was excited about getting Moss, Welker, Thomas....etc. this year we'll do it! And we started winning......

now, im so sick of greatest ever talk and undefeated and all that stuff that turned out to mean NOTHING.....its like i hope it becomes a regular old, enjoyable 12-4 year.

I am grateful for what the Patriots gave us in 2007. But i sure liked 11-5 with a championship in 2001 a whole lot better. 2003 and 2004 too.

once again, the lesson is...stats mean nothing. glossy means nothing. great offense with mediocre defense means nothing.

there i feel better.....

this draft, i want defense! defense! defense!

That thread title is so stupid.

I'll never wish or hope for a loss.

I'll never feel good about a loss.

I will wish and hope that our team fights and executes in every game. If that means going undefeated, then so be it. If it means they loose a game or two or three, then so be it.

All I want is to cheer my team on and wish for the best. As a fan you can hope for the playoffs, wish for a AFC Championship, and be proud that they got you to the Superbowl.

I have faith that they will put themselves in the best possible position, anything and everything else is gravy.

That thread title is so stupid.

I'll never wish or hope for a loss.

I'll never feel good about a loss.

I will wish and hope that our team fights and executes in every game. If that means going undefeated, then so be it. If it means they loose a game or two or three, then so be it.

All I want is to cheer my team on and wish for the best. As a fan you can hope for the playoffs, wish for a AFC Championship, and be proud that they got you to the Superbowl.

I have faith that they will put themselves in the best possible position, anything and everything else is gravy.
Agreed.....

To me,IMO,what the OP is really talking about is the fact that he does not want to see the Patriots in the limelight on TV constantly,He does not want to see the Patriots as special of thier own news on the bottom of the ESPN sports ticker,He does not want to see Pursuit of perfection all over the papers and on the internet.

I think he wants the old under the radar team that few talk about,The kind of team that is not playing poorly but not seen as unstoppable either,The OP IMO wants a team that wins consistently but is no standout but at the same time is well into contention and he wants maybe an early loss to keep the team under media wrath or attention.

And IMO thats not such a bad way of looking at it,I don't want to see the Patriots everyday and everywhere - Only on sundays or monday nights ..but then again, I will never wish for the team to lose ANYTIME either.

why do somebody give a sh!t about media.? If my team is good, i want the whole world to know about it. If you look at 07 season, people were talking about pats during spygate and SB.

Last edited:
Do you have any evidence it didnt? Could the Super Bowl have turned out any worse?
Do you know it didnt wear them down mentally as the season progressed, that it didnt effect how they prepared, how they approached everything?

did this team look the same to you in December and January and February than they did in Sept, Oct and Nov?

whatever it was, they just werent a great team toward the end. And that is very un-Patriot like.

all im saying, is even before the loss, I enjoyed the stretch run of 2004 better because that team was playing great at the end and not just holding on to history as the 2007 Patriots seemed to be doing.

the AFCCG against the Chargers? That performance vs what the 2004 team did at Pittsburgh? or compare the win over the Jags vs the 2004 win against the Colts. Which team was playing at its best and which team was barely making it across the finish line as all the media scutinized evey move they made?

I could say, gosh gee, the 2008 Patriots are going to go 19-0 and all is wonderful....but the truth is, my Patriots dont HAVE to be 19-0 for me to love them. I loved them when they were 1-15, and Im not the one acting like the world will end if they lose a game, you guys are.

so who is being a real fan? truthfully saying that for me, i;ll enjoy a 14-2 or 12-4 just as much, or one of you guys who will die if they ever break your heart and lose.

sorry i said something so blasphemous as to imply i would love the Patriots even if they lost opening day, and would in fact, prefer it, if it would spare them, and us, the best ever idiocy we had to go through, which did indeed effect the teams performance, and which ruined the pure joy of having just gone to a Super Bowl.

Maybe the game was a blessing in disguise...

All Belichick needs to do is show that game non stop before each game.

If that doesn't make anyone pissed off, than they shouldn't be playing the game in the first place.

They were great enough to win 3 tough playoff games on the road and then beat the 2007 Patriots.

Football games are won in 60 minutes between the lines. That's how you figure out who is better.

That is Patriot football.

so the 10-6 NY Giants were a better football team than the 16-0 New England Patriots? this is the new line, that the Patriots werent affected by any outside distraction, that they just werent as good as the vaunted NY Giants?

puh-leeze.

once again, im not saying any other football team in NFL history could ever go 19-0. so its not a knock on the Patriots. So this is why i would like them to spare us and themselves last years no-win scenario. No team can go 19-0. They proved it. So personally, im not going to be too upset after their first loss, it will allow me to know that they then had a chance to actually win the Super Bowl.

Silly argument. 2003 is over. We could have gone 14-2 in 2007 and had the same result.

Losing a game or several games is no guarantee of a Super Bowl win.

PFnV

this is very true, however, the odds favor a team that has gone 14-2 winning a Super Bowl over any team that has ever gone 18-0.

the proof?

Name me any team that has gone 18-0 and then won a Super Bowl.
I can name plenty that have gone 14-2 and won it.

As it has been proven too hard to go 18-0 and then win a Super Bowl. So, as a fan, knowing that it is easier for a team to win after going 14-2, getting the undefeated pressures out of the way, I would rather that my team have lost a game.

I don't know about you, but I'd personally like to see that Pats go 19-0 while not having to suffer through all the BS about cheating, spygate, Matt Walsh or some half-assed threat about a Congressional hearing.

thats great, but the 2007 Patriots proved it cant be done. there is no way the 2007 Patriots should EVER have lost to the 10-6 NY Giants, but they did.

personally, i would love it if they went 19-0, but its not going to happen, so the oods tell me they have a better chance of winning the SB as a 14-2 or 15-1 team, and history proves it, as no 18-0 team has ever won a SB.

so the 10-6 NY Giants were a better football team than the 16-0 New England Patriots? this is the new line, that the Patriots werent affected by any outside distraction, that they just werent as good as the vaunted NY Giants?

You keep forgetting two words... "that day".

The Giants were better that day. A few weeks prior, the Patriots were better, that day.

In the end, the total scores of both teams over both hotly contested meetings = 52 - 52

Are you really going to tell me that you know which team is better?

You can pretend to know, by doing some math on paper... but is that really the answer? If it was, why would they bother to play the games at all?

See, I have no problem giving credit where credit is due. That's what reasonable people do. Give credit to the Giants, because they definitely earned it. Refusing to do so, like you are, really does make you less of a real Patriots fan, and much more like the other crappy fans that are often complained about, who "never respect" the Patriots.

As it has been proven too hard to go 18-0 and then win a Super Bowl. So, as a fan, knowing that it is easier for a team to win after going 14-2, getting the undefeated pressures out of the way, I would rather that my team have lost a game.
So what if you get your wish (Pats lose the opener) then they go on to lose the second game? I'd rather put wins in the bank, right from the start, because you never know.

Too long of a thread to read all of it, is it unanimous except for the thread first post, that a Pats win in game one is preferred?

They were not a great team but they were the better team in the SB who wanted it more than the Pats did. Even as a pats fan watching the game I couldn't help but be impressed on how their D played.

It's been stated again and again but if you want your team to lose next season then you are not a pats fan. Period.

Go look at any other message board for any other team and I guarantee you that you won't be seeing any crap like this. "Gee I hope the Colts lose next season so they don't get have to deal with the pressure"

It's just plain stupid, even if we lose I guarantee it that the media will be all over us even more. You'll be seeing the mediots play the angle of the Pats Dynasty crumbling down even more so than the Pursuit of Perfection.
"Pats lose, this is a change from 2007 when the team that went undefeated in the regular season. What happened?" -Future ESPN topic

real fans dont get suicidal if there team loses a game. im grateful they got hammered 31-0 by the Bills in 2003 because it lit a fire under them.

a real fan gets that. a real fan observes that when the 2004 team blew the game at Miami, they came out smoking the next 4 weeks.

you're missing the point, i dont care if its week 1 or week 4 or week 8. I just do not want to see the 8-0 can they go undefeated crap put on them or us again.

you dont have to be a pie in the sky gee, i hope we go 19-0 fan to be a real fan.

i was there when they were 2-12 in 1970. 1-15 in 1990.

i live in the reality. they aint going 19-0. no team ever will. so i dont not want to ever see them go 18-0.

Exactly, as a fan, and as a team, you're trying to win every week. The Patriots almost accomplished exactly that. Coming up short is a bitter pill to swallow, but there's no real reason to think that if the Pats had finished the regular season 15-1, that they would have won the Superbowl.

yes there was. they were the best team in football, easily.

there was no other reason to explain there downturn late in the season. they were mentally gassed out.

if they were 15-1, they would not have been. simple.

Alright, I've had enough of the repetitive trolling. Enjoy yourselves :)

You keep forgetting two words... "that day".

The Giants were better that day. A few weeks prior, the Patriots were better, that day.

In the end, the total scores of both teams over both hotly contested meetings = 52 - 52

Are you really going to tell me that you know which team is better?

You can pretend to know, by doing some math on paper... but is that really the answer? If it was, why would they bother to play the games at all?

See, I have no problem giving credit where credit is due. That's what reasonable people do. Give credit to the Giants, because they definitely earned it. Refusing to do so, like you are, really does make you less of a real Patriots fan, and much more like the other crappy fans that are often complained about, who "never respect" the Patriots.

you saying the Giants are as good as the Patriots shows you arent very knowledgable about football and are so willing to sugar coat the fact the Patriots blew it, you will elevate the Giants to an all-time great team, which is absurd.

lets be clear, no team can go 19-0, the Patriots proved it, so its not an indictment on the Patriots. That is my point. They dont need the anchor of trying to go 19-0, and as a fan, i dont need it. I'll love them just as much if they go 18-1. or if they go 0-19.

im not obsessed with perfection as so many of you are, fans who probably jumped on the bandwagon 10 years ago and will abandon them if they ever are 7-9 again.

and before you get your panties in a bunch over that remark, i never called any of you " not really Patriot fans"

its amazing how a simple comment, expressing frustration over an empty ending to a season, can get so many people riled up.

you'd think i said something truly offensive, like Jesus is Lord, or something. :rolleyes:;):)

You play to win the game! You play to win the game!

You
play
to
win
the
game

gotta love herm

it would be ok to start 0-1 then win 18 in a row

You play to win the game! You play to win the game!

You
play
to
win
the
game

gotta love herm

Hello? Helllllooooooo?

you saying the Giants are as good as the Patriots shows you arent very knowledgable about football and are so willing to sugar coat the fact the Patriots blew it, you will elevate the Giants to an all-time great team, which is absurd.

lets be clear, no team can go 19-0, the Patriots proved it, so its not an indictment on the Patriots. That is my point. They dont need the anchor of trying to go 19-0, and as a fan, i dont need it. I'll love them just as much if they go 18-1. or if they go 0-19.

im not obsessed with perfection as so many of you are, fans who probably jumped on the bandwagon 10 years ago and will abandon them if they ever are 7-9 again.

and before you get your panties in a bunch over that remark, i never called any of you " not really Patriot fans"

its amazing how a simple comment, expressing frustration over an empty ending to a season, can get so many people riled up.

you'd think i said something truly offensive, like Jesus is Lord, or something. :rolleyes:;):)

You are fond of unproven hypotheses.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back