PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I hope we lose opening day

Status
Not open for further replies.
so if they went 15-0, then lost to go 15-1, then won 3 straight to win the Super Bowl..would that be better than going 18-0, then losing the Super Bowl?

I wouldnt want them to lose in week 16 either because its near the end of the season and i want them peaking then.

But did the opening day loss in 2003 hurt the Patriots in ANY way?

which season turned out better and more enjoyable. 2003 or 2007.

Id take 2003 anyday. 15 straight wins without the "crapola"

thank you. out.

Silly argument. 2003 is over. We could have gone 14-2 in 2007 and had the same result.

Losing a game or several games is no guarantee of a Super Bowl win.

PFnV

Maybe the team should just go 0-16 and avoid the pressure of the playoffs.

Last edited:
would you rather they go 18-0 and lose the Super Bowl or be 17-1 and win it. that is my point. why many of you cant grasp that is beyond me
I don't know about you, but I'd personally like to see that Pats go 19-0 while not having to suffer through all the BS about cheating, spygate, Matt Walsh or some half-assed threat about a Congressional hearing.

Last edited:
Maybe the team should just go 0-16 and avoid the pressure of the playoffs.

Second. We won't have to worry about playoff seeding or what draft pick we have that way. And, the media won't be all Pats all the time.

Seriously, if you want the Patriots to lose even ONE GAME, go watch ballet or the Westminster Dog Show. Patriots Nation doesn't need you as a fan.

Second. We won't have to worry about playoff seeding or what draft pick we have that way. And, the media won't be all Pats all the time.

Seriously, if you want the Patriots to lose even ONE GAME, go watch ballet or the Westminster Dog Show. Patriots Nation doesn't need you as a fan.

I can think of valid reasons for wanting the Patriots to lose games late in the season, although none of those reasons include relieving the pressure of an unbeaten season. But I can't think of any valid reason to want to lose the first game of the season.

Last edited:
I'm talking about for the Giants that loss energized them and gave them the confidence they needed to do what they did in the playoffs.
Let me get this straight. The confidence they needed to do what they did in the playoffs came because they lost?

So if they won week 17, they obviously would not have won in the playoffs, because it was the loss that gave them the confidence blah blah.

So everyone who is saying that Coughlin did the right thing by playing his starters? I guess they are all wrong, and Coughlin lucked out. He should have been playing his slappies. He was trying to win, and it was the "loss energized them and gave them the confidence they needed to do what they did in the playoffs."

No way would I be happy with an opening day loss. I don't care about 16-0 vs 14-2, but I care about home field in the playoffs and there's no reason not to believe that the AFC is not going to be as tough as ever.

excuse me, you believe the 2007 Giants were a GREAT team?

They were not a great team but they were the better team in the SB who wanted it more than the Pats did. Even as a pats fan watching the game I couldn't help but be impressed on how their D played.

It's been stated again and again but if you want your team to lose next season then you are not a pats fan. Period.

Go look at any other message board for any other team and I guarantee you that you won't be seeing any crap like this. "Gee I hope the Colts lose next season so they don't get have to deal with the pressure"

It's just plain stupid, even if we lose I guarantee it that the media will be all over us even more. You'll be seeing the mediots play the angle of the Pats Dynasty crumbling down even more so than the Pursuit of Perfection.
"Pats lose, this is a change from 2007 when the team that went undefeated in the regular season. What happened?" -Future ESPN topic

Last edited:
I can think of valid reasons for wanting the Patriots to lose games late in the season, although none of those reasons include relieving the pressure of an unbeaten season. But I can't think of any valid reason to want to lose the first game of the season.

Why would you want them to lose late in the season? The only possible reason I can think of is that BB can seriously dish out the Humble Pie with a loss. But even now, after losing the Super Bowl, I think he can do that every week without problem. "Oh you want to be ****y? Think you're great? Look at this Super Bowl game footage."

Hell, SB42 might be this years rallying cry. If I was BB I would by 100 Giants Super Bowl t-shirts, and have the team wear them during every practice.

Exactly, as a fan, and as a team, you're trying to win every week. The Patriots almost accomplished exactly that. Coming up short is a bitter pill to swallow, but there's no real reason to think that if the Pats had finished the regular season 15-1, that they would have won the Superbowl.

Last edited:
Why would you want them to lose late in the season? The only possible reason I can think of is that BB can seriously dish out the Humble Pie with a loss. But even now, after losing the Super Bowl, I think he can do that every week without problem. "Oh you want to be ****y? Think you're great? Look at this Super Bowl game footage."

Hell, SB42 might be this years rallying cry. If I was BB I would by 100 Giants Super Bowl t-shirts, and have the team wear them during every practice.

I can think of two possible and legitimate reasons, both dependent upon circumstances:

1.) To alter seeding

2.) To influence who gets into the playoffs

I can think of two possible and legitimate reasons, both dependent upon circumstances:

1.) To alter seeding

2.) To influence who gets into the playoffs

Ok, I get your point. I was more refering to losing for the sake of losing like the OP was saying. You know, as if the Pats were 17-1 the OL would have played better or Asante would have caught that INT.

On the Giants, springboard example by a poster:

What effect did this have on the idiot GB kicker missing two field goals in the playoff, overtime game?

On the Giants, springboard example by a poster:

What effect did this have on the idiot GB kicker missing two field goals in the playoff, overtime game?

If only he missed the third. :(

I was fine after they lost to the Colts last year. I was excited about getting Moss, Welker, Thomas....etc. this year we'll do it! And we started winning......

now, im so sick of greatest ever talk and undefeated and all that stuff that turned out to mean NOTHING.....its like i hope it becomes a regular old, enjoyable 12-4 year.

I am grateful for what the Patriots gave us in 2007. But i sure liked 11-5 with a championship in 2001 a whole lot better. 2003 and 2004 too.

once again, the lesson is...stats mean nothing. glossy means nothing. great offense with mediocre defense means nothing.

there i feel better.....

this draft, i want defense! defense! defense!
Losing resolves nothing and there is no correlation whatsoever to losing and winning the Super Bowl.

OK I've made some observations in this thread

Lifers point about the Pats losing their opening game to avoid the amount of press and scrutiny that an undefeated season brought would help lower the pressure cooker they were in is a valid enough point, valid enough that he shouldn't be called names and disregarded.

That this effected the Patriots is open to debate, I tend to think it didn't. I didn't see anything in their play to show that they folded under pressure. Coming back in the 4th quarter to take the lead late in the game is not something a team thats folding under pressure does late in the SB.

Did the coverage effect the Patriots fans ? I think there's more of a chance that's true then the team being effected by the coverage. If anything was going to effect the team that way, it would have been Spygate, especially Spygate II coming out 2 days before the SB.

Personally, I'd love to see the Patriots duplicate what they did, but win the SB this time !

As my favorite Ex-Dolphin Mercury Morris said " We weren't thinking about going undefeated, we were thinking about that SB we lost the year before "

OK I've made some observations in this thread

Lifers point about the Pats losing their opening game to avoid the amount of press and scrutiny that an undefeated season brought would help lower the pressure cooker they were in is a valid enough point
It is moronic to say they should lose the first game because if they win the next twelve after that they will be under pressure.

HFA is critically important, and you don't want to lose any games you don't have to. Hoping to lose is just plain stupid.

Sorry, but there is no other word to describe the concept of losing the first game to reduce pressure.

The fact that you quote Mercury Morris to support your position ought to set off warning bells in your own mind.....

Last edited:
i hope they DONT lose opening day.

It is moronic to say they should lose the first game because if they win the next twelve after that they will be under pressure.

HFA is critically important, and you don't want to lose any games you don't have to. Hoping to lose is just plain stupid.

Sorry, but there is no other word to describe the concept of losing the first game to reduce pressure.

The fact that you quote Mercury Morris to support your position ought to set off warning bells in your own mind.....

You missed his point and mine, my quote of Mercury Morris was based on humor and I was trying to say it may provide the Patriots with the same motivation. In making his point, he used the first game only because the so called pressure would never see the light of day. I'm not even saying I agree with him, my point about people being nasty because they don't agree, well you proved that for me. I'm not try to be insulting, just pointing out observations.

A lose is never good, they come easy enough esp. to some stiff team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down