PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I hope the Pats enjoy the bye because the next 4 games define the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try reading your paragraph about Allen v. Freeney again. It may be the lamest attempt to prop up a player that any visitor to this board has ever made.

ok well, let me try, to get our reputation back up to snuff.

Since Allen has entered the league in 2004, he has accumulated 65 Sacks, 19 Forced Fumbles, 1 Interception

Since 2004.. Freeney has accumulated 53.5 Sacks, 23 Forced Fumbles, 0 Interceptions

with that information, we can assume that Freeney causes a fumble (and for arguments sake, defense recovers that fumble for a turnover) nearly half the time he gets to the QB. Allen on the other hand, only causes a turnover 30% of the time. Turnovers are the single most important defensive stat, it gets the ball back into the offenses hand to get points on the board.

Freeney has not had the help of a solid Dline since he entered the league, until Mathis came along. So he was basically doing all the work, himself.

for the past 2 years, Allen has had the luxury of working next to two of the best DT's in the league, therefore, helping him get pressure, because he wont be doubled. every play.

When it comes to which player makes the largest impact on their respective teams, I dont even think thats a question, its Freeney, 10 fold. Indianapolis has never been known to have a great defense, and as mentioned before, horrible DT's his whole career.

With Freeney taking the double teams, it has given Mathis an opportunity to get pressure on the QB. So, Freeney just being on the line, improves our defense. Whereas, the Vikings LE hasnt gotten a single sack or FF this year... and I think thats the most important point in this argument, which player makes players around him better. Freeney has proven to do so with Mathis on the left, allowing him to get pressure from the left by taking up double teams. Allen, has shown what he can do solely, but he brings nothing to the table when it comes to making players around him play at a higher level.

Try reading your paragraph about Allen v. Freeney again. It may be the lamest attempt to prop up a player that any visitor to this board has ever made.

Why? Anyone who watched that game saw that Allen got a bunch of cheap sacks bc Rogers holds on to the ball too long trying to make plays. It's the same reason that a JAG like Antwan Odom got a bunch of sacks against him. So Allen had a worse game than Odom, what's your point?

Freeney's game against Arizona was more impactful. A better offense, on the road, actually facing double teams considering he's not lined up next to Kevin Williams. They were supposedly going to beat us, not a chance.

this is a <1 per cent argument...since less than one per cent of the members here could care about Freeney,Allen, their sack stats or any other pom pom waving stat you geeks want to dredge up.We already have enough of our own "stat" monsters to wade through.

Why? Anyone who watched that game saw that Allen got a bunch of cheap sacks bc Rogers holds on to the ball too long trying to make plays. It's the same reason that a JAG like Antwan Odom got a bunch of sacks against him. So Allen had a worse game than Odom, what's your point?

Freeney's game against Arizona was more impactful. A better offense, on the road, actually facing double teams considering he's not lined up next to Kevin Williams. They were supposedly going to beat us, not a chance.

You made a claim about Freeney being the best since he came in the league and then you pointed to one game where Allen destroyed his opponent and offered it as some sort of proof. If you can't figure out why that's lame, I don't know how it can be made more obvious.

ok well, let me try, to get our reputation back up to snuff.

Since Allen has entered the league in 2004, he has accumulated 65 Sacks, 19 Forced Fumbles, 1 Interception

Since 2004.. Freeney has accumulated 53.5 Sacks, 23 Forced Fumbles, 0 Interceptions

with that information, we can assume that Freeney causes a fumble (and for arguments sake, defense recovers that fumble for a turnover) nearly half the time he gets to the QB. Allen on the other hand, only causes a turnover 30% of the time. Turnovers are the single most important defensive stat, it gets the ball back into the offenses hand to get points on the board.

Freeney has not had the help of a solid Dline since he entered the league, until Mathis came along. So he was basically doing all the work, himself.

for the past 2 years, Allen has had the luxury of working next to two of the best DT's in the league, therefore, helping him get pressure, because he wont be doubled. every play.

When it comes to which player makes the largest impact on their respective teams, I dont even think thats a question, its Freeney, 10 fold. Indianapolis has never been known to have a great defense, and as mentioned before, horrible DT's his whole career.

With Freeney taking the double teams, it has given Mathis an opportunity to get pressure on the QB. So, Freeney just being on the line, improves our defense. Whereas, the Vikings LE hasnt gotten a single sack or FF this year... and I think thats the most important point in this argument, which player makes players around him better. Freeney has proven to do so with Mathis on the left, allowing him to get pressure from the left by taking up double teams. Allen, has shown what he can do solely, but he brings nothing to the table when it comes to making players around him play at a higher level.

Mathis is a better bookend than anyone Allen has played with.

Allen was stuck playing on the Chiefs, for crying out loud. The year after he left, that team set a record for fewest sacks in a season.

And using forced fumbles as proof of a superior pass rush? Pash rush is about forcing double teams and getting to, or very near the QB.

Come on, now. It's alright that Freeney isn't the best in the league at his job. Y'all should be used to dealing with that, since that same 'problem' has plagued your quarterback since around at least 2003, if not further back than that.

You made a claim about Freeney being the best since he came in the league and then you pointed to one game where Allen destroyed his opponent and offered it as some sort of proof. If you can't figure out why that's lame, I don't know how it can be made more obvious.

Bc your only proof is stats, which I couldn't care less about. I care about impact, like you said in your last post, who forces double teams, etc. Allen doesn't get double teamed, Freeney gets doubled constantly. Allen's pass defense is mediocre, Freeney allows the Colts to get away with Jason David, Tim Jennings, and a bunch of rookies bc teams almost never take deep drops against us (or they risk the fate of Kurt Warner getting the crap knocked out of him for four quarters in his own stadium). I don't think my point can be any more clear than that. Freeney leads his team to the playoffs every year, has game changing plays that helped us clinch divisions, etc. Allen hasn't done that.

Bc your only proof is stats, which I couldn't care less about. I care about impact, like you said in your last post, who forces double teams, etc. Allen doesn't get double teamed, Freeney gets doubled constantly. Allen's pass defense is mediocre, Freeney allows the Colts to get away with Jason David, Tim Jennings, and a bunch of rookies bc teams almost never take deep drops against us (or they risk the fate of Kurt Warner getting the crap knocked out of him for four quarters in his own stadium). I don't think my point can be any more clear than that. Freeney leads his team to the playoffs every year, has game changing plays that helped us clinch divisions, etc. Allen hasn't done that.

Ok, you must be a duplicate account from someone who's just screwing with the rest of us. This post is so ridiculous that even a Colts fan would be embarrassed to make it.

Who keeps leading the Colts OUT of the playoffs after one game? ;)

In 2008, it was Freeney being out with the Lis Franc, and the Chargers offense going through us like Swiss Cheese bc of it. ;)

In other years, it's been bc our running game sucks and/or our DTs sucked.

i think every one on this bord and around the NFL will agree that freeney is a great passrusher

but he is not better then Jared Allen

since 2004 Jared Allen has 65 sack's will no one on he's team has had more then 8 sack's in any of he's season's

since 2004 freeney has 52.5 sack's

since 2004 Robert Mathis has 55 sack's

so how can he be better then allen when he is not even the best passrusher on he's own team

Last edited:
Ok, you must be a duplicate account from someone who's just screwing with the rest of us. This post is so ridiculous that even a Colts fan would be embarrassed to make it.

Lol, nothing is more embarrassing than your own quarterback refuting your thoughts in an article today. :D

Brady actually said it better than I did. Freeney gets to the QB quicker than anyone, in about 2 seconds or so. A slower player like Allen, it takes him longer. Freeney changes more game plans bc of it, you simply can't drop deep like you can against a guy like Allen. Hence, like I said, Jason David never being exposed when he was with the Colts.

There is a reason I said that Freeney has been more valuable than players even like Marvin Harrison or Edgerrin James, 1st ballot hall of famer type of players in their prime. He's the best.

Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney is the game's most intimidating player | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

Lol, nothing is more embarrassing than your own quarterback refuting your thoughts in an article today. :D

Brady actually said it better than I did. Freeney gets to the QB quicker than anyone, in about 2 seconds or so. A slower player like Allen, it takes him longer. Freeney changes more game plans bc of it, you simply can't drop deep like you can against a guy like Allen. Hence, like I said, Jason David never being exposed when he was with the Colts.

There is a reason I said that Freeney has been more valuable than players even like Marvin Harrison or Edgerrin James, 1st ballot hall of famer type of players in their prime. He's the best.

Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney is the game's most intimidating player | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

Why would Brady being nice to Freeney embarrass me? He faces Freeney all the time, not Allen. Allen is in the NFC.

Allen is also a better pass rusher than Freeney.

I hope we clean up on the division games, because with this schedule, a first round bye is looking more difficult every week. Hoping the Pats can get into the playoffs with round one home game, and letting their veteran leadership lead the way. That said, I don't think 4-0 is out of the question at all. Miami (with a bye week for us) seems to be the easiest of the bunch. I don't see the Patriots bringing anything except their "A" game against the Jets, and we have the Jets to thank for that. Saints and Colts will both be difficult matchups. If we lose one of the next three games, I see us beating the Saints, as the Patriots will be playing for a playoff berth, rather than just seeding.

Why would Brady being nice to Freeney embarrass me? He faces Freeney all the time, not Allen. Allen is in the NFC.

Allen is also a better pass rusher than Freeney.

He's also faced Allen before since Allen was in the AFC.

Either way, it's obvious that Brady couldn't care less about stats. He realizes that Freeney is the biggest impact player he's ever faced, just like I said he was.

I feel bad for Colts fans. The 12-4 records and perennial first-round exits is like dating the hot girl only to find out she stinks up the bathroom.

1st ballot hall of famer type of players in their prime. He's the best.

Freeney is an outstanding player. If Brady says that, so be it. Certainly, the Colt D has had some success vs the Pat offense no question.

You should have stopped there....

1st ballot HoFer?....a little overzelous in your prediction IMO. He has one more careeer sack than Peppers and he certainly is not a HoF. Many great DEs are not in the HoF who were 2x the player Freeney is who could also stop the run is are not in the HoF (Dent being one..)

Last edited:
Freeney is an outstanding player. If Brady says that, so be it. Certainly, the Colt D has had some success vs the Pat offense no question.

You should have stopped there....

1st ballot HoFer?....a little overzelous in your prediction IMO. He has one more careeer sack than Peppers and he certainly is not a HoF. Many great DEs are not in the HoF who were 2x the player Freeney is who could also stop the run is are not in the HoF (Dent being one..)

I said that Harrison and James (pre knee injury) were 1st ballot hall of fame caliber players. Freeney is as well, but I wasn't referring to him as well.

If the media is smart, they will put Freeney in the HoF first ballot. But they often aren't smart.

Freeney can certainly play the run well. He's no Richard Dent considering that he is 6'1", but teams never run at right end against the Colts. They run btw the tackles bc our DTs have been awful for too much of the time. And the Pats have run off of left end against the Colts (See Dillon's long run in the 2007 ACCG on 4th and 1 in the 1st half), but never off of right end.

I feel bad for Colts fans. The 12-4 records and perennial first-round exits is like dating the hot girl only to find out she stinks up the bathroom.

And the so called "best QB in the NFL" has a playoff record of 7-8

ouch

I said that Harrison and James (pre knee injury) were 1st ballot hall of fame caliber players. Freeney is as well, but I wasn't referring to him as well.

If the media is smart, they will put Freeney in the HoF first ballot. But they often aren't smart.

Freeney can certainly play the run well. He's no Richard Dent considering that he is 6'1", but teams never run at right end against the Colts. They run btw the tackles bc our DTs have been awful for too much of the time. And the Pats have run off of left end against the Colts (See Dillon's long run in the 2007 ACCG on 4th and 1 in the 1st half), but never off of right end.

Harrison- No question.

James- Edge's injury was in 2001 and did not have a prolonged impact on his production..HoF? borderline. Great RB though nonetheless.

Freeney is ok vs the run. Nothing special. Never mind sportswriters. We know that they are idiots. I still don't know why YOU believe he is a 1st ballot HoFer.

In 2008, it was Freeney being out with the Lis Franc, and the Chargers offense going through us like Swiss Cheese bc of it. ;)

In other years, it's been bc our running game sucks and/or our DTs sucked.

"Abbott!!!!Hold me!!!!"

136133-275.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back