PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I hope the Pats enjoy the bye because the next 4 games define the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being in the Dome for Brady vs Brees will be euphoric for me! I can't wait.

Especially if the Saints are 10-0 by that point I will probably be so stoked I won't be able to contain myself the whole day at work.

I'm with you Gwedd. Indy is a good team, but they've played their share of cupcakes too.

Haven't the Pats as well?

The league is filled with cupcakes, so I don't get this criticism.

People are giving the Colts far too much credit. Matt Cassel and the Patriots went into Indy last year against virtually the same Indy team and were a Dave Thomas unsportsmanlike or Gaffney catch from winning that game.

We do have a better defense overall than last year, a little bit better at most positions like LB, DT, and having Powers at CB instead of Jennings. And we're a little better on offense when we have Brown on the field, as opposed to Addai. And if Coyer keeps calling good blitzes, that may be another slight improvement.

I think New Orleans is legitimate, but all the others are flawed to one degree or another. In a good game, with national media and pressure, they will fall. :eek:

The Colts reek of easy scheduleitis. Even against the cream puffs they played, they can't run. The Colts are averaging a one-dimensional 76 yards per game on the ground. Never discount Peyton though. But his weapons are growing fewer. He no longer has 5 great receivers; only three.:)

Every year we play them, and their midget whirling dervish Safety comes back from 4 games out, plays, and then returns to the Infirmary for another four. Will we get him this year on his one in eight schedule? :confused:

We can't run in large part bc our RB sucks. I would think that they'd play Brown at least 50% in that game, and that will make a difference.

But if you guys can't rush the passer, what difference will that really make? Your best pass rusher is a guy who this forum bashed in the offseason, Banta Cain (and he's a good player, as he has always been. I'm not shocked at all that he's beaten out Adalius Thomas, he's better). Our best pass rusher is the best pass rusher in the NFL. Our 2nd best, may be the best LDE pass rusher.

Easy schedule? Every team in the NFL has an easy schedule, the league is bad overall. But 3 primetime road games in the first 5 games, that is not what I'd call the easiest in the league.

As for Sanders, at this point, who really cares? He didn't make a difference when he played last year bc Bullitt is probably a top 10 strong safety in the league as is. If Bob isn't 100%, he's not an upgrade over Bullitt.

It just amazes me that for such a knowledgeable forum, you guys miss the boat so much. The Colts have Freeney and Mathis. The Saints don't. The Saints are a great team, but they haven't proven that they're better than the Colts to this point.

Last edited:
my hopes and beliefs are that we will run, and run all over the place

colts canst really stop the run, and if u guys have to stack the box, then i see some of our recievers getting open....u cant double cover both welker and moss ;)

We can stop the run. We shut down Chris Johnson totally. We stopped Jackson in the first half before we changed the gameplan for whatever reason in the second half. You guys don't have a great running game either.

Do you not realize that we were starting Keyunta Dawson and Eric Foster at DT against you last year? Antonio Johnson and Muir have NFL size, those guys didn't.

for INDY, i dont know, b/c i dont know what kind of team indy is, they have had an amazingly easy schedule so far, and have faced NO good defense, or good offense for that matter, i believe we will make them one dimensional, and then well see how our cb's hold up from there, on O, we would need to establish a running game, b/c we should be able to run ont he colts.....

for the saints, its a lot like indy, but the saints have faced one or two quality teams....

This is why this forum makes me chuckle. The Colts whipped a Cardinal team on the road in a night primetime game that just beat the Giants in NY on a road primetime game, and the Giants are the best team the Saints have beaten.

So how does your statement make sense? How does Arizona not have a good offense?

Our best pass rusher is the best pass rusher in the NFL. .
When did you trade Freeney for the best pass rusher in the NFL. I missed that. I think I was busy adding up the 6.5 sacks per year he has average for the last 3 years. Oh well, at least he makes up for it by sucking against the run.

When did you trade Freeney for the best pass rusher in the NFL. I missed that. I think I was busy adding up the 6.5 sacks per year he has average for the last 3 years. Oh well, at least he makes up for it by sucking against the run.

He's been the best pass rusher in the league overall since he came into the league. There is a reason the Colts can get away with Jason David at corner. Or Tim Jennings. Or two rookies this year. It's bc teams can't throw downfield on us bc of our pass rush. Say what you want about players with better stats like Ware or Jared Allen or Mario Williams, but their secondaries constantly give up big plays bc they don't command the same attention.

You guys love ignoring that the Colts' defense plays your offense well though. :rolleyes: I must have been asleep during the first 3 quarters of our game in the Dome two years ago.

He's been the best pass rusher in the league overall since he came into the league. There is a reason the Colts can get away with Jason David at corner. Or Tim Jennings. Or two rookies this year. It's bc teams can't throw downfield on us bc of our pass rush. Say what you want about players with better stats like Ware or Jared Allen or Mario Williams, but their secondaries constantly give up big plays bc they don't command the same attention.

You guys love ignoring that the Colts' defense plays your offense well though. :rolleyes: I must have been asleep during the first 3 quarters of our game in the Dome two years ago.

You've apparently been asleep for years, given your position on Freeney being the league's best pass rusher.

You've apparently been asleep for years, given your position on Freeney being the league's best pass rusher.

Actually, you guys seem to be asleep during every Colt game, even though we seem to be on TV every week. :p You must have missed when he shutdown Kurt Warner by dominating that game. Or how the Titans have to double him at home even though they have Michael Roos, or the Dolphins even though they have Jake Long. That's just this year on the three games that were on national TV, all on the road.

You guys instead said Richard Seymour was better, even though it's clear now that he was replaceable. Or that Adalius Thomas was a great all around player. Or that you would put 50 on us two years ago like you did every other defense. etc.

You guys love to underestimate the Colts, for some reason. :D Wasn't this supposed to be finally the year that we were going to drop back into the pack? ;)

Every game defines the season and thankfully Bill coaches that way.

Coltsfan, I heard you guys have an undrafted rookie CB (Lacey) that is playing out of his azz.

Damn colts... ;)

Actually, you guys seem to be asleep during every Colt game, even though we seem to be on TV every week. :p You must have missed when he shutdown Kurt Warner by dominating that game. Or how the Titans have to double him at home even though they have Michael Roos, or the Dolphins even though they have Jake Long. That's just this year on the three games that were on national TV, all on the road.

You guys instead said Richard Seymour was better, even though it's clear now that he was replaceable. Or that Adalius Thomas was a great all around player. Or that you would put 50 on us two years ago like you did every other defense. etc.

You guys love to underestimate the Colts, for some reason. :D Wasn't this supposed to be finally the year that we were going to drop back into the pack? ;)

Seymour is a better player than Freeney, and he has been since he came into the league. Not that it's dispositive or anything, but Seymour has 5 trips to the Pro Bowl and 3 All Pro designations to Freeney's 4 and 2.

However, your comment was about Freeney as a pass rusher. Freeney has 77.5 total sacks in his career, but he's only had 19.5 in his last 3 years. In that same 3 year span, Jared Allen has 37.5 sacks. That's 2 seasons plus this one, as opposed to going back 3 full seasons. Doing that makes the numbers look even more lopsided, since Allen recorded 2 sacks more than Freeney in 2006.

Since Allen came into the league in 2004, Freeney has amassed 53.5 sacks, and Allen has 65.

Last edited:
The problem I have with these 4 games over other years is that I always thought the Pats had the better team....always.

This year....I just don't know if we are better than the Saints. They really look good but are overrated on defense for sure.

I know we are as good as the Colts....don't know about better when you talk matchups with Manning against our secondary...but Manning may be in for a surprise at our speed back there.

So....I don't know how we will do, but they will be 4 interesting games!

Gotta admit that Tom Effing Brady said that Freeny is the one player who worries him the most.

Maybe Brady is dissing his main man Light??? :)

I expect us to be 3-2 for these games, but I don't see how we are "in trouble" if we are 2-3.

I think we will win the 2 games at home and upset the Colts but lose to the Saints although the Saints actually are the least important game of this stretch since they are an NFC team.

If we can handle the games at home against division rivals and beat the Colts at Indy,this team will be looking prime for at least a #3 seed no matter even if they have a so so december.

I think we shall see a record of 8-3 or 7-4 come December 1st

How do you see the Pats in the month of November?

Seymour is a better player than Freeney, and he has been since he came into the league. Not that it's dispositive or anything, but Seymour has 5 trips to the Pro Bowl and 3 All Pro designations to Freeney's 4 and 2.

However, your comment was about Freeney as a pass rusher. Freeney has 77.5 total sacks in his career, but he's only had 19.5 in his last 3 years. In that same 3 year span, Jared Allen has 37.5 sacks. That's 2 seasons plus this one, as opposed to going back 3 full seasons. Doing that makes the numbers look even more lopsided, since Allen recorded 2 sacks more than Freeney in 2006.

Since Allen came into the league in 2004, Freeney has amassed 53.5 sacks, and Allen has 65.

I could care less about anything you mention there, you never see me list things like pro bowls or sacks. I list things like how terrible the Vikings pass defense is, while the Colts' is good. I really don't care that Allen got 5 sacks against Aaron Rogers, when all of them were coverage sacks or against scrubs anyway. Rogers could have easily gotten rid of any of those. Freeney's performance against Kurt Warner on the road was more impressive than that, even though the stats may not agree. Impact was greater, their defense played better. Allen doesn't do nearly as much against good competition, or on the road. Hence why their pass defense is so bad.

As for Seymour, if you guys had Freeney this decade when you consider the DTs you've had, you guys probably would have won the Super Bowl basically every year. I know we probably wouldn't have beat you once. Seymour was no better than Warren or Wilfork for five years now, and was also surrounded by Jarvis Green, good LBs, etc. Freeney has been surrounded by basically nothing besides Mathis in much of his career. He's had the worst group of DTs next to him quite possibly in the NFL years such as the first 10 games of last season.

Bring up Harrison, Edgerrin James, Wayne, or anyone else; but Freeney has been the 2nd most valuable Colt without a doubt this decade.

I could care less about anything you mention there, you never see me list things like pro bowls or sacks. I list things like how terrible the Vikings pass defense is, while the Colts' is good. I really don't care that Allen got 5 sacks against Aaron Rogers, when all of them were coverage sacks or against scrubs anyway. Rogers could have easily gotten rid of any of those. Freeney's performance against Kurt Warner on the road was more impressive than that, even though the stats may not agree. Impact was greater, their defense played better. Allen doesn't do nearly as much against good competition, or on the road. Hence why their pass defense is so bad.

As for Seymour, if you guys had Freeney this decade when you consider the DTs you've had, you guys probably would have won the Super Bowl basically every year. I know we probably wouldn't have beat you once. Seymour was no better than Warren or Wilfork for five years now, and was also surrounded by Jarvis Green, good LBs, etc. Freeney has been surrounded by basically nothing besides Mathis in much of his career. He's had the worst group of DTs next to him quite possibly in the NFL years such as the first 10 games of last season.

Bring up Harrison, Edgerrin James, Wayne, or anyone else; but Freeney has been the 2nd most valuable Colt without a doubt this decade.

Thanks for the comedy.

Thanks for the comedy.

Sorry that I can do more things than quote stats.

There is a reason when you watch Colts' primetime games, they have a camera on Freeney every play, and show about 10 replays of him every game. He is the impact player out there.

Sorry that I can do more things than quote stats.

There is a reason when you watch Colts' primetime games, they have a camera on Freeney every play, and show about 10 replays of him every game. He is the impact player out there.

Try reading your paragraph about Allen v. Freeney again. It may be the lamest attempt to prop up a player that any visitor to this board has ever made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye