PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I hope the Pats enjoy the bye because the next 4 games define the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
One other concern with Vollmer facing the likes of Jason Taylor,Dwight Freeney,Will Smith and Shaun Ellis in the next month if Light remains sidelined.

I hope Baker can help block. I'm concerned yet excited at the same time. If Brady remains upright, we might of just found our future LT.

Absofrigginlutely. I have been worried all year about the run D. If we're in a close game, it could really cost us. My question is, could it be the Pats aren't quite comfortable defensively yet to handily take away both the pass and the run? Maybe it's part of the adjustment they've been making. But we're going to need to be able to pressure Manning all day and take away his run game if we want to stop them at all. Run D is going to have to rise up.

Run O all around, again point. It's not all Maroney's fault. They looked so weak this past weekend, I was dissapointed to see them not giving up big holes again. I need to see more consistency out of this group.

Yes, this is where our OL struggles. Vollmer has to really put on his big boy pants and show why we drafted him where we did. Light's out, and we're depending on a rookie to block Brady's back. If Vollmer can show the ability to protect Brady, we may very well see the end of Matt Light. It'll be interesting because they have REALLY gotten handled when ever they face a good OL.

Even though I support(ed) the Seymour trade, I thought our run D took a hit. Wright and Green are nice players but are not Seymour in terms of pushing off double teams and holding the point of attack.

My hope is that Brace can get some time in the 2nd 1/2 of the season and add some stoutness. Pryor seems pretty decent vs the run. Warren and Wilfork are both very good.

Even though I support(ed) the Seymour trade, I thought our run D took a hit. Wright and Green are nice players but are not Seymour in terms of pushing off double teams and holding the point of attack.

My hope is that Brace can get some time in the 2nd 1/2 of the season and add some stoutness. Pryor seems pretty decent vs the run. Warren and Wilfork are both very good.

Perhaps that is it. However, for half of 07 Seymour was out I don't remember our run D struggling so much. They don't seem to control the run too well and I'm wondering if BB is thinking it's LB play causing that.

I don't see us losing to Indy. They might have a spiffy record, but it's not like they've been playing upper-echelon teams so far.

respects,

I crunched the numbers in another posting but the opponents winning percentage is Indy .297
NE .444 (20-25)
New Orleans .473
Indy has had the easiest schedule, probably in the entire league. Having said that, they still have won them all and you can only play whoever is on your schedule. I think this year with Brady back , the Pats win..and go 3-1 in that stretch.

Last edited:
Perhaps that is it. However, for half of 07 Seymour was out I don't remember our run D struggling so much. They don't seem to control the run too well and I'm wondering if BB is thinking it's LB play causing that.

07 was a weird year defensively. They gave up 4.4 ypc, but they played nickle and dime like 69% of the time and only allowed 7 runs of 20 yards or longer. Thats not too shabby. I do remember them being decent vs the run when they had to.

I still say that the worst run D of the BB era was 02. Everyone gashed them. Everyone. This years run D is better than that years by far.

I think they'll be ok. Seau, Mayo are there and McGowen and Meriweather are excellent vs the run.

Nov 8 Miami ....W
...Miami's D is weak, offense is one dimensional. Pats only weakness is rushing
Nov 15 @Indianapolis...L
...Colts have no holes, rushing is weakest group, Manning is on fire
Nov 22 N.Y. Jets ...W
...Pats take care of an obstacle
Nov 30 @New Orleans ...L
...Tough team, as balanced an offense as I can remember. Gives up points but too many weapons. Home field will be the difference...good playoff tuneup for the Pats
Dec 6 @Miami W...
Miami may be be playing out the schedule at this point

Nov 8 Miami ....W
...Miami's D is weak, offense is one dimensional. Pats only weakness is rushing
Nov 15 @Indianapolis...L
...Colts have no holes, rushing is weakest group, Manning is on fire
Nov 22 N.Y. Jets ...W
...Pats take care of an obstacle
Nov 30 @New Orleans ...L
...Tough team, as balanced an offense as I can remember. Gives up points but too many weapons. Home field will be the difference...good playoff tuneup for the Pats
Dec 6 @Miami W...
Miami may be be playing out the schedule at this point

SNF @miami is not easy whether they are playing out the schedule or not. Remember the MNF game the pats lostin miami to a 2-14 team or something ?

Wow, I'm a bit surprised at the number of people that are so ready to concede the games against the Colts and Saints as losses. Yes, they are good teams and the Pats have to play the on the road, but this team isn't that shabby either. In case you forgot, the Pats have only lost two games and they were by a grand total of ten points. Indy and New Orleans should be great games for all NFL fans, ones that could easily go either way.

A game that seems to be overlooked that does concern me is December 3rd at Miami - that is right after the Saints game. For starters there could be an emotional letdown after playing New Orleans - while you know the Dolphins will be geared up for that game. It's also the second of back-to-back road games, never a good thing.

But perhaps the biggest obstacle is preparation. It's bad enough having a short week for the coaching staff to prepare for the next game after playing Monday night, and a shorter week for the players to recuperate, but both games being on the road makes that time to get ready even shorter. Typically after playing a Monday night game teams have either a bye or a home game; it's almost unheard of to play a MNF road game, and then another away game the following week. And it's not as if Miami is a hop, skip and a jump away; it's about a three hour flight, almost as long as the return flight from New Orleans. This isn't like the Bengals travelling to Cleveland or Pittsburgh flying to Buffalo; it's a much longer flight on a short week.

Regardless, even three losses in this stretch will not be the end of the world. Sure, the Pats would need to win out after that to finish 11-5, but that should still get them into the playoffs. (Yes, I did not forget '08, but I doubt that would happen again.) Bottom line is stay ahead of the Jets, Dolphins and Bills by winning the division games and the Pats are in the playoffs, regardless of record.

Given the way they've been playing, i really think the Pats are good enough to get wins against either the Colts or Saints. With the Colts matchup, every part of the field seems like a wash to me. Could go either way. But i think we have a distinct coaching advantage (but we could say that about most games).

I fully expect wins in both Phins games and the Jets game.

I haven't taken the chance to read through this entire thread, but I think I'm the only one on this whole forum who thinks that the we can sweep this entire November schedule. We have two weeks to prepare for the Wildcat and Chad Henne and Miami's secondary is going to be exploited by Brady, Moss, and Welker. We'll take that one. I think we're going to march into Indy after that and spoil their hopes for an undefeated season in what should be an instant classic. After that, I think we're going to destroy the Jets in Foxboro for two reasons - revenge and the losses of both Leon Washington and Kris Jenkins on both sides of the ball. Plus, I think we're going to be hitting the Sanchize a lot more this game than we did in Week 2. Out of them all, New Orleans is the only game that we'd have a real good chance of losing, but I think BB has something in mind for Brees on defense, and I think we can control the clock and move the ball on them on offense. That game might be another instant classic.

I'm saying 4-0 in November. When looking at us and all the teams that we are playing in this upcoming month, it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility.

PATs will win out. 14-2. :D
Not afraid of Colts.
Not afraid of Saints.

Of course there could be a surprise loss in the schedule but this team
has come together. The D is really starting to do some great things.
It should all come together in the Miami game after the bye. That is
the game I have waited for to measure where the PATs are. If they
beat the fins by 14 points or more they have peaked and will win out.
IMHO.

I think the Saints kill us. Having that game on a Monday night at the Super Dome only exacerbates the situation. If the Pats can't solidify the no. 3 WR situation by then, I don't see us keeping that game within 14 points as the Saints could be second most explosive offense in NFL history

The good news about the Colts is BB knows how to game plan against them. Last year's game plan was flawless I thought--Pats only gave up 18 points to them as NE controlled time of possession and kept Peyton off the field and did everything right until Jabar's gaffe. With a better defense and Brady back, BB has some more pieces to play with this time around. I am confident we can be competitive at Indy.

at MIA doesn't scare me, at Houston is no gimme, at Buffalo depends on weather as that could be a dud game.

Last edited:
Out of them all, New Orleans is the only game that we'd have a real good chance of losing, but I think BB has something in mind for Brees on defense, and I think we can control the clock and move the ball on them on offense. That game might be another instant classic.

I'm saying 4-0 in November. When looking at us and all the teams that we are playing in this upcoming month, it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Agreed on all points, but these ones bear mentioning.

Preparation for the Fins the second time around will be a refresher, so worry about the short week should be limited.

Also, the Saint offense, specifically the air attack ought to be faintly familiar to Bill and Co. as they prepare for it. I'm calling that game a win and a decisive one at that.

If we drop a game my hunch is Bills or Texans, but if we (they :rolleyes:) steamroll November, I doubt those games even register anywhere but Vegas.

4-0 wouldn't surprise me. This team can beat anyone. 3-1 would be good. I'll take a Saints loss. I fully expect us to take care of the Dolphins and Jets and we need the Indy game if there is going to be any chance for the first couple of seeds come playoff time. The Denver loss hurt us in that regard, so we need to make it up against Indy.

It's the next FIVE games that will define the season, starting and ending with the Dolphins. Not sure how you don't count the game AT Miami too?

Next 5 games:

v. Miami
at Indy
v. NYJ
at New Orleans
at Miami

If you're going to count the 1st Miami game at home, why wouldn't you count the one in primetime on the road?

Saints and Colts look very tough to me, especially with Morris, Taylor and Light out, putting a big dent in what was only a mediocre running game to begin with. Defense still not stopping the run consistently as LBs seem to get knocked off the ball too frequently. Even if they lose both games, however, it is not the season because all hte injured players may return in January for another shot.

PATs will win out. 14-2. :D
Not afraid of Colts.
Not afraid of Saints.

Of course there could be a surprise loss in the schedule but this team
has come together. The D is really starting to do some great things.
It should all come together in the Miami game after the bye. That is
the game I have waited for to measure where the PATs are. If they
beat the fins by 14 points or more they have peaked and will win out.
IMHO.

homer-simpson.gif

The 5th game is important also, because it is MIA in primetime on the road.

Teams who lose on MNF (at New Orleans) and go on the road the following week have less than 15% chance of victory.

I take this stat w/ a grain of salt of course--because we hardly ever lose 2 in a row (not since 2006), but if we are gonna lose 2 in a row this would be it. This stat is like recovering an onsides kick, 15%.

Those last 2 games at N.Orleans and at Miami will be very important.

It's the next FIVE games that will define the season, starting and ending with the Dolphins. Not sure how you don't count the game AT Miami too?

Next 5 games:

v. Miami
at Indy
v. NYJ
at New Orleans
at Miami

If you're going to count the 1st Miami game at home, why wouldn't you count the one in primetime on the road?

Because Miami is on the verge of possibly losing to the Jets and their 6th loss this weekend and if they do and we beat them then they are irrelevent except for the division wins and besides that is in December,not November.

Saints and Colts look very tough to me, especially with Morris, Taylor and Light out, putting a big dent in what was only a mediocre running game to begin with. Defense still not stopping the run consistently as LBs seem to get knocked off the ball too frequently. Even if they lose both games, however, it is not the season because all hte injured players may return in January for another shot.

All 5 look hard to me, but I think we can at least split w/ Miami and I think we can beat the NYJ in the rematch. That's 2 right there, if we split the Indy and New Orleans games that'll be 3 out of 5--pretty damn good considering the difficult schedule.

IMO, this is the first 5 games all over again X about 2 or 3. The good news is if we go 3-2 in these 5, we should be able to win out the next 4 down the stretch---and finish 12-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back