PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I hope Galloway plays next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it the Pat's playbooks are always 'so complex' and require 'high football IQs' that seemingly turn many decent players into crap?

The Colt's offense is able to plug in 2 brand new WRs and go on a tear.
The Jets are able to pick up a malcontent and make him look like a pro bowler in a week.
The Giants lost their big playmaker, and their pass offense looks better than ever.
AdT was a big producer in Baltimore, with the Pats he's become JAG.

Are we to believe Jabar Gaffney was that good? Reche Caldwell just got it? Donte Stallworth just lost it?

The Colts have struggled to make the transition from Harrison and Wayne to Wayne and the new guy/guys for two seasons. Have they faced a playoff caliber team yet? Were they one and done last postseason? They may have hit on their Branch or Givens and if so they will likely hold onto them since that had been their approach on offense since it is not easy to play in that system, either.

The JETS malcontent may look good this week. Adreneline and lack of film can work wonders for a week, just ask Richard Seymour. Jabar Gaffney was that good in this system. That's why Josh persued him for more than we could justify paying him given what we're paying Moss and Welker. Reche got it, just couldn't catch the routine ones. That was his MO in SD as well. Donte never got it, here or anywhere. That's why even though he caught some balls in Philly and they were desperate for receivers they passed on re-signing him as a FA.

Watson took a while but he seems to have finally gotten it. Baker seems to get it. Trouble is we can't get them out running routes consistently because of blocking issues. Welker gets it, Edleman gets it, only one has been battling injuries and the other is a rookie conversion project. We apparently lack another outside receiver who gets it so far this season although his problems seem to be equally related to simple execution. Maybe because he's gotten by on talent for a lot of seasons. The trick now is to find or develop or free up one more weapon, and improve consistent execution including at the LOS, not to scrap a system that works well enough that when the franchise is lost the team still wins 11 games with a QB who hasn't played since HS. If Manning went down the Colts pray their system would work nearly that well, but they don't honestly believe it would.

Using this sort of logic, why hasn't Brady been sent packing for his failures in recent playoff games?

Track record. Reche was what he was, in SD as well as here. The guy who could make all the plays until you really needed one. That's how he landed here. It's also why he's been unemployed for the last two seasons though only 29-30. I wish you'd temper the contrarian act.

I want Reche Caldwell back! And no I'm not being sarcastic.....

+1.

That current Pats offense was designed to make crappy receivers like Reche into decent receivers, provided they could understand the complexity.

Not that New England has access to decent receivers, it seems like the complexity is no longer necessary. Why not get rid of it?

Track record. Reche was what he was, in SD as well as here. The guy who could make all the plays until you really needed one. That's how he landed here. It's also why he's been unemployed for the last two seasons though only 29-30. I wish you'd temper the contrarian act.

Reche bailed the team out in San Diego and didn't have a drop in the entire regular season. I don't buy "track record" for even a minute.

And I wish you'd temper the "anyone who disagrees with the Patriots on anything, no matter how minute, is evil" act. I expect that neither of us will get our wish.

Caldwell performed admirably all season in 2006 dropping only one pass after being asked to be the primary WR when he was brought in as the projected third behind Branch and Chad Jackson. He is villified for his two dropped passes (one you can make the argument that it was as much Brady's fault has his) in a game where the defense let up 31 points in the second half and there were plenty of bad mistakes by many offensive players. For some reason many people want to blame the AFCC loss to Indy solely on him (well other than the ones who want to blame McDaniels) and ignore that Eric Alexander was beaten like a rented mule by Dallas Clark (and I don't blame Alexander all that much since he was just ill prepared and unqualifed for such a task).

It's more complicated then just being able to run a post or flag. You have to take into account what the D is giving you. The play may change before the snap from an audible or just how the D is lined up. Galloway is probably great at doing one thing, but having difficulty making adjustments. Like you said, just send him out there to run down field and get separation. Brady will get him the ball.
Sure a receiver has to know more than 2 routes and Galloway's been a highly productive player in this league for so long now I'm sure he knows more than how to run only deep patterns.

My indirect point was it need not be a complicated matter with a receiver like Galloway. In any multi receiver look - with Moss and Welker capturing most of the attention - Galloway's gonna be singled up in coverage where, his still blazing speed, is best served running downfield as fast as possible looking to catch the ball for a big play. Most any QB not named Pennington can pass the ball to a receiver on such a play. So, why the heck aren't the Pats doing this with Galloway? :confused: :mad:

Sure a receiver has to know more than 2 routes and Galloway's been a highly productive player in this league for so long now I'm sure he knows more than how to run only deep patterns.

My indirect point was it need not be a complicated matter with a receiver like Galloway. In any multi receiver look - with Moss and Welker capturing most of the attention - Galloway's gonna be singled up in coverage where, his still blazing speed, is best served running downfield as fast as possible looking to catch the ball for a big play. Most any QB not named Pennington can pass the ball to a receiver on such a play. So, why the heck aren't the Pats doing this with Galloway? :confused: :mad:

He may have issues with sight adjustments, i.e reading man v zone, cutting off routes based on the coverage or rush, timing w/ TB, terminology etc but one thing that is irrefutable is that he is dropping passes plain and simple.

He may have issues with sight adjustments, i.e reading man v zone, cutting off routes based on the coverage or rush, timing w/ TB, terminology etc but one thing that is irrefutable is that he is dropping passes plain and simple.

Who knows why Galloway is in the doghouse but I doubt it's because of dropped passes as Galloway isn't the only Pats WR who has dropped passes this season. :confused:

I'd love to see someone like Lance Moore on this team. He's the kind of quick twitch, sharp route runner the Pats require outside.

Who knows why Galloway is in the doghouse but I doubt it's because of dropped passes as Galloway isn't the only Pats WR who has dropped passes this season. :confused:

I don't disagree. It's a combo of things but if he converted his drops into receptions, I don't think it would be as big of a story.

Remember Donald "don't know the plays" Hayes? He made the proclimation in week 10 of the 02 season that he still didn't know the offense. Sheesh! I sure hope that isn't the case here.

Reche bailed the team out in San Diego and didn't have a drop in the entire regular season. I don't buy "track record" for even a minute.

Caldwell handled himself well and grew into the #1 WR role even as Brady pouted his way through the first quarter of that season. Reche's play vs. SD was excellent and trumps the drop. WR have huge drops all the time - I do not believe it should be his legacy as a Patriot.

i hope galloway get's cut this week

T.O is on the tradeing block

i know he is crazy but just for fun think about it randy moss wes welker and T.O on the same team

i know it wont happen but if the brady is going to throw it 40 to 50 time's a game any way's

at lest give him two HOF receiver's

Already had that guy drop a sure pass for a NEEDED first down.
That drop allowed the Dolts to win a SB, otherwise we would have played DaBears with Rex Grossman at the helm.....my guess is we have #4

No Thanks

I LOVE how everyone still gets hung up on that. Wasn't it the defense who were asked to put up the last stand in that championship game, much like SB 42? By that logic Brady and Moss should have got the boot for not connecting with 40 seconds left in that nightmare of a Suberbowl.

We had Stallworth and now Galloway. Both considered more talented than Caldwell as wide outs. The difference is that Caldwell could UNDERSTAND the offense and more importantly had great chemistry with Brady (was he not the leading receiver that season?). That team nearly took it self to the franchise's 4th Superbowl championship with Caldwell and Gaffney as their one and two! I think if Caldwell was signed and came back just to fill a role he could be a decent alternative for the loss of Gaffney. I know the likely hood of Caldwell coming back is slim to none and that a thread on a message board has 0 impact on roster choices but just my 2 cents.

I'm hoping he and Brady have been putting in time together trying to get better, I still think he's a better option than Aiken and Edelman. Two weeks in the dog house has probably lit a fire under him.

Time to unleash the beast! Ok maybe not but I hope he gets to play next week. What do you guys think?

This offense has more versatility when it has a 3rd wideout...no doubt. Unfortunately, Galloway hasn't proven he can be that guy, yet...

If Galloway plays on Sunday and does nothing other than run "go" routes on every stinking snap, he could do no worse than equal Aiken's numbers from last week.

If Galloway plays on Sunday and does nothing other than run "go" routes on every stinking snap, he could do no worse than equal Aiken's numbers from last week.

But Brady might pout again.

Don't bad mouth Aiken. He is strictly a special teams player who's being

asked to play wide receiver. Going into Sunday's game, he had only caught

28 passes in 7 years. Management is so desperate for a wide receiver

that they are trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Why have Galloway run "go" routes out there when we already have Michael Matthews doing it?

Don't bad mouth Aiken. He is strictly a special teams player who's being

asked to play wide receiver. Going into Sunday's game, he had only caught

28 passes in 7 years. Management is so desperate for a wide receiver

that they are trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Management made all kinds of mistakes, and had all kinds of failures, this offseason. It's not Aiken's fault that he's not an NFL quality receiver, but it is the management's fault that there isn't a #3 wideout on the team that the team finds acceptable and who can play the position.

I really need to post a rant thread about the screwups of this offseason. It really was a terrible job that was done.

Why have Galloway run "go" routes out there when we already have Michael Matthews doing it?

If Matthews doesn't start getting the job done, Brace is up next. They'll send him down on 50 yard fly patterns.

Scoreboard!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back