PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I HOPE for three 2010 Contributers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you can make a case that many of these are 2nd round value. You can also make a case that many of the players that will be drafted from 33-48 are first round value. I would also be verty surprised to see Harrdy or Johnson available in the 3rd
===================================================

A) Without trades, we have four in the top 53,
plus our 118 and whatever we get for Thomas to get one or two of the players you mention.

B) Alternatively, we could trade our 53 for a 3rd and a 4th. We would then have our top three picks to get 2-3 players and we would also then have a 3rd, two 4ths and the pick we get for Thomas to get the next level of player.

There will be some very good values in the 3rd round. Right now, for example, NFLdraftscout has the following:

66 - OG Mike Johnson, Alabama
73 - DE/OLB Greg Hardy, Mississippi
75 - CB Amari Spievey, Iowa
81 - RB Dexter McCluster, Mississippi
86 - RB Toby Gerhart, Stanford
87 - LB Eric Norwood, South Carolina
88 - DE/OLB Austen Lane, Murray St.
91 - CB Kareem Jackson, Alabama
92 - WR Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati
93 - OG Rodger Saffold, Indiana
94 - DE/DT Arthur Jones, Syracuse
96 - DE Alex Carrington, Arkansas St.
98 - CB Javier Arenas, Alabama
116 - TE Tony Moeaki, Iowa
117 - WR Erick Decker, Minnesota
125 - LB AJ Edds, Iowa

You can make a case that a lot of those guys could easily be 2nd round values. I also suspect I could draft 4 solid future starters from that list without much difficulty.

If we want more immediate impact, then I would suggest that we need to be lucky. We could trade up and increase our chances at 2 impact players, but then three impact players would then be less likely.QUOTE]

3 or 4 IMPACT Players Roadmap Jets style.

1.) Trade #22 and our 2011 first round pick to move up to #9 and take McClain. Instant IMPACT starter, and a playmaker to boot, at the Mike and allows Mayo to move to the Jack.

2.) Trade #42 and #52 and our 4th rounder to move up to #17 (got to get in front of Pittsburgh) and take Mt. Cody. Instant IMPACT starter at NT. Can block kicks as well.

3.) Draft OG Johnson with our remaining 2nd rounder. Instant IMPACT starter at ROG.

4.) Take P Zoltan M of Michigan in the sixth round. Instant IMPACT starter at Punter.

I would rather have three or four IMPACT playmakers, than 6 "value" picks.

If we want more immediate impact, then I would suggest that we need to be lucky. We could trade up and increase our chances at 2 impact players, but then three impact players would then be less likely.QUOTE]

1.) Trade #22 and our 2011 first round pick to move up to #9 and take McClain. Instant IMPACT starter, and a playmaker to boot, at the Mike and allows Mayo to move to the Jack.

2.) Trade #42 and #52 and our 4th rounder to move up to #17 (got to get in front of Pittsburgh) and take Mt. Cody. Instant IMPACT starter at NT. Can block kicks as well.

3.) Draft OG Johnson with our remaining 2nd rounder. Instant IMPACT starter at ROG.

4.) Take P Zoltan M of Michigan in the sixth round. Instant IMPACT starter at Punter.

And sell out on a true impact player in 2011. I wouldn't do that, even for McClain. And there are other potential impact players available in the draft far cheaper.

I doubt you have to get in front of Pittsburgh for Cody. It's possible, but there's a good chance they go OL with Bulaga or Iupati. And I think Dan Williams will be a better fit for us, anyway.

If you want to assume getting Zoltan Mesko in the 6th as a done deal and count him as an instant "impact" player, then that gets equalized across other drafts as well. I think it's 50-50 right now as to whether he lasts to the 6th round, and 50-50 as to whether he will stick. He hasn't had great hang time on his kicks at the Senior Bowl, and with his long legs he's taken a while to get the kick off, which was a big part of the problem that led to Mike Dragosovic not being able to stick 2 years ago.

And assuming that Mike Johnson will be an instant "impact" player is a reach. I like Johnson and would be fine taking him in the late 2nd/early 3rd round, but it's a stretch to believe that he could step in and have a Mankins-like impact right away.

If we take a back in the first two rounds my head will explode. I want all of those picks used in the trenches. Solidify the O-line and the current group will perform that much better. We all seem to agree that the d front seven need some serious work as well, especially if Wilfork is gone (I hope not but who knows). I'll take a flier on Ben Tate from auburn in the 4th though. This is only from watching his bowl game, but he was a beast from what I recall. I simply don't see McClusker lasting to long being so damn small, and burning a 1st on Spiller...I'd have dead pets and no tv. We need some "Big Uglies!"

And sell out on a true impact player in 2011. I wouldn't do that, even for McClain. And there are other potential impact players available in the draft far cheaper.

I doubt you have to get in front of Pittsburgh for Cody. It's possible, but there's a good chance they go OL with Bulaga or Iupati. And I think Dan Williams will be a better fit for us, anyway.

If you want to assume getting Zoltan Mesko in the 6th as a done deal and count him as an instant "impact" player, then that gets equalized across other drafts as well. I think it's 50-50 right now as to whether he lasts to the 6th round, and 50-50 as to whether he will stick. He hasn't had great hang time on his kicks at the Senior Bowl, and with his long legs he's taken a while to get the kick off, which was a big part of the problem that led to Mike Dragosovic not being able to stick 2 years ago.

And assuming that Mike Johnson will be an instant "impact" player is a reach. I like Johnson and would be fine taking him in the late 2nd/early 3rd round, but it's a stretch to believe that he could step in and have a Mankins-like impact right away.

i agree this team is not 1 or 2 players away from a SB. Leigh Bodden, wilfork, TBC. and green could all be gone. and thats just on defense. so if they could get 5 or 6 potential. starters over just one star. ill take it we can get the star players in the 2011 draft with two #1's

i agree this team is not 1 or 2 players away from a SB. Leigh Bodden, wilfork, TBC. and green could all be gone. and thats just on defense. so if they could get 5 or 6 potential. starters over just one star. ill take it we can get the star players in the 2011 draft with two #1's

Again, in my most optimistic scenario I could see us trading up to get 2 playmakers who could probably make significant contributions right away, and then possibly trade back into the 3rd round to pick up a lot of red chip talent who would be 2nd round picks most years. If we add 1-2 solid contributors in FA and resign most of our key guys, then I think we would go into 2010 potentially much stronger, with the potential to be really strong in 2011 once the red chip guys (pus McKenzie and possibly Tate from 2009) have had a chance to develop, and with the chance to add 2 more playmakers in the 2011 draft.

After watching the Senior Bowl, I find it hard to even take this plan seriously:

1. McClain is everything you say he is.

2. Cody is not a 1st round pick right now. His draft status isn't that much better than Ron Brace's was at this time last year. The idea of trading 2 2nd round picks to move up for him in the teens is ludicrous at this point.

3. Johnson was mixed during the week and extremely unimpressive at the Senior Bowl. He's a 3rd round pick IMHO, and I can't possibly see projecting him to step in and be an "impact" starter at RG.

4. Mesko doesn't look as good as Mike Dragosovic did 2 years ago. His hang time is terrible, his length is average, he's not particularly good at pinning opponents deep, and he doesn't get the kick away very fast. Like Dragosovic, however, he has a great name to pair with Gostkowski.

Do you really seriously believe that the last 3 guys would all make the team and become instant "impact" starters for us? I have a lot of respect for you, but this makes me question getting over-attached to players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes