Welcome to PatsFans.com

I have questions about two words.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Phoxboro_Phil, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Phoxboro_Phil

Phoxboro_Phil Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's the first word.

Surrender

I have heard John McCain and several others, like Sean Hannity, etc. say that if we pull our troops out of Iraq that this will be a surrender.

So, that leads me to my first question.

Who will we be surrendering to? And, if we surrender, as McCain suggests, who would General Petraeus, the Commanding Officer in Iraq, who would he surrender his weapon to? That generally is the procedure, isn't it?

Seeing as Mr. McCain is constantly saying a pullout would mean "surrender", then who would we be surrendering to,and would there be some sort of a surrender ceremony?

The second word is....

Winning

Again, it is a word that is being used by McCain, Hannity and several other right leaning people, so I ask this...

What exactly would we win in Iraq, if in fact we win something? And how do we accomplish it, to win?

And by winning this, whatever it might be, how does it preserve the Constitution of the United States which is what our military has sworn an oath to do?

And, for the record, if we don't win, whatever the hell it is that we might win, then we, obviously, would lose, so what do we lose?
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +389 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I have a question about one word :

NEM
  3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

If you really have to ask these questions, you don't deserve and answer from those of us that have the answer ;)

Just as an aside, It's not the 1800's, so Petraeus won't have to surrender to Joshua Chamberlain and hand over his sword. that's a stupid suggestion.

p.s. watch the video, it's not the one I was looking for, but it's a KICK-ASS movie and we could only hope to have leaders like him again..... and yeah, he won the Medal of Honor for that stunt.
  4. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

And yeah................. I'm getting a {subdued} NEM vide.
  5. PF1996

PF1996 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well, Bush said the war was "won" in 2003 so call me confused as to why five years later the righties are still concerned about "winning" and "surrender". Guess Bush called it too early. :rolleyes:
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I love how Con men have only 5 cards they can play in any thread they participate in... In this thread, they play the, "well, if you need to ask, I'm above answering" card...

Yeah, that won it for you. Thanks for participating. :rolleyes:

I'd say his question is legit... What is the "surrender" mantra all about?

More pretentious language by the fear party, no doubt.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

The language of the right is a language of hyperbole, hysteria and distortion of the facts.. so with this in mind why listen to the likes of Hannity and the rest of the wright wing talking heads??. Time and time again, as evidenced on this board, a very minor issue or question is blown out of proportion.. and an absurd standard is used, read the posts it often begins with discussion of guantanamo and descends into Hitler or Stalin.. the whole thing makes little sense if you look at it intelligently.

If you want to look at a classic, look at the Michelle Whitey Rant thread or anything to do with William Ayers and Obama. Such credible sites as "little green footballs", NEWSMAX or Worldnet are brought into play. If you ever hear Rush, Savage or Coulter mentioned do not respond and all you do is give those folks credibility whether it is negative or positive. Negative credibility is an ok term during this election cycle and the person spewing the garbage and lies is more important than than the actual story itself.
  8. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And I shouldn't mention you as the critic of anything remotely rightward, based upon evidence like this, why? Funny how you never say anything about the credibility of ...oh...thinkprogress, for instance.

I'm sorry--you put the evidence out there. Why am I a sh!t for gathering and presenting it?

Or are we simply unable to criticize political beliefs and statements here in the political forum?

It could be worse. I could call you "goofy" and "rumpswab", as I was called today.
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -13

Excellent...SUPER questions Phox. I've already noticed a couple of scaredy-cats just attack you with a few words but no effort to address your points. Clearly a case of "I can't answer your questions, so I'm gonna attack the poster"...sad, I must say.

Moving forward, let's see if we can keep a tally of those who attempt to answer your questions and those who attack you. I'll let you do the tallying. ;)
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  10. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Ummm...Reign? It's a guy named NEM who got banned after he called Ian at home twice and annoyed his wife. He keeps logging in under different names to be irritating.
  11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -13

Ok, sounds like he has serious issues.

BUT....his questions are legit and I'd love to hear a legit answer...from anyone.
  12. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Actually his questions are complete BS. You only think they're legit because you think much the same as he does.
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 1 / -9

"Quit" is a better word, Obama will show us how it's done.
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +363 / 4 / -2

The first word is:

NEM.

The second word is:

Banned.

:D
  15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -13

So what, reply to the post. This board isn't about it's members, its about issues.

So what are your thoughts on the issues?

I agree with Phox...Quit is a better word. Personally, I could care less about Iraq. There are many other countries in this world who could have used our help in fighting tyranny...why did we choose Iraq?
  16. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Harry said "quit".

Because Iraq was sponsoring terrorism. Saddam was funding suicide bombers etc etc...and he claimed he had WMD's (which I still believe he had, btw).
  17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -13

You're right, it was Harry...my mistake.

I haven't heard the WMD excuse in a while...

I've already stated that I supported invading Iraq. At the time, 9/11 was still fresh and my desire for revenge was very strong. Now, I just want us to get Osama Bin Laden before he dies. Iraq could go on forever and a day.

Countries that are based solely upon religious doctrine will always be unstable.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

a.paul's going retro on us again!:D

Strictly speaking, it could be argued that ALL countries are based on religious doctrine. Flags, anthems, constitutions, all sets of beliefs that are peculiar to each group.

There are just some that attach a higher degree of supernatural and superstitious aspects to their beliefs, like North Korea, Iran, Israel and Saudi Arabia, to name a few. Even England has an "official religion", right?
  19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -13

There are 7 countries where religious law is the law of the land. (don't ask me to name them, please as a paul). Most, if not all of them are very unstable...such as Iran.

Having an official religion is nothing like religious law. I actually changed by wording from "countries based upon religious doctrine" to ""countries based solely upon religious doctrine". I figured someone would pick me up on it.

Our laws were shaped by religious doctrine, but they aren't based solely upon it, nor is anything to do with our Constitution or Bill of Rights. That was part of the plan from our "hip" forefathers...they were pretty cool guys!:cool:
  20. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What was that part about "endowed by their Creator with certain unalieanable rights"