PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I have one small piece of advice for the Patriots front office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares? And what's "better value" later on?

We have big holes on this team on both lines and in terms of the pass rush. What can be "better value" than fixing those holes?

We already have 2 2011 1st round picks. This draft should be extremely deep, with plenty of talent who can plug those holes. Use them.

When you trade this year's 3rd rounder for next years 2nd rounder... that is clearly a better value and I see no reason to turn down trades like that.

Belichick has passed up a lot of players in order to get so-called value. If he took a player who can contribute in the present draft, he doesn't need loads of value in the next because that's one less hole in the roster.

Thank you. Someone who gets it!

He has passed up a lot of talent looking for his kind of guy. So what if the lb is not 6'5' 260 willie mcginest type .If he looks good on film draft him and stop trading down for jag picks

You have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, USE THEM ALL AND DO NOT TRADE INTO NEXT YEAR.
And do what? Add players that are of no use? Or that take a few years to develop? Or clash with the coaching staff?

And you draft offensive and defensive linemen with all of them.

That would be stupid.. Totally and utterly. Especially since they already have quite a few O-line and D-line for the future...

He has passed up a lot of talent looking for his kind of guy. So what if the lb is not 6'5' 260 willie mcginest type .If he looks good on film draft him and stop trading down for jag picks

Great points. This hasn't been working....obviously.

We need a pash rusher in the worst way.

No we don't. We need quality 3-4 LBers/4-3 DEs who can put pressure on the QB while not slacking in coverage or in the running game. Getting a pure pass rusher would do NOTHING to help this team..

Another thing is kraft makes about 100 mil 0on this team. he can shell out another 5-6 mil/ year for some decent coordinators. I'm starting to think that Kraft is a tight wad.

Team is bad not many rookies in the 2nd round that can help the team the way they desparately need it. Get Peppers on board, stop wasting money by extending jokers like pill popper kaczur n James whiffer sanders.

Stupid comments like yours about Kaczur and Sanders shows how you are so short-sighted.

1) Sanders was extened prior to signing McGowan (who happens to get injured ALOT) and drafting Chung. Sanders is a legitimate (albeit average) starting Safety in this league and provides CHEAP insurance if McGowan or Meriweather go down to injury.

2) As for Kaczur, the Pats didn't know what they had in Vollmer, Light is on the wrong side of 30 and LaVoir was on the PUP. Extending him made sense at the time..

Instead of being short-sighted, people need to take a step back and remember the REAL order of events. Otherwise, they just look utterly foolish.

Another thing is kraft makes about 100 mil 0on this team. he can shell out another 5-6 mil/ year for some decent coordinators. I'm starting to think that Kraft is a tight wad.

Kraft has nothing to do with the hiring of the coordinators. Again, pure speculation from the ignorant.

What "JAG" picks are you referring to? Are you another Draftnick Wannabee who thinks he knows better than BB?

Just because a player looks good on film doesn't mean he can handle coaching and take instructions. It doesn't mean he can digest a play-book or is able to break down film. There is a LOT more to a player than the frigging draft pages you have your nose buried in on draft day.

Value is a completely overrated and skewed concept. If we pick a guy in the second round and he sucks, he's worthless no matter where we took him, and the pick is worthless because it was wasted on him. Belichick has passed up a lot of players in order to get so-called value. If he took a player who can contribute in the present draft, he doesn't need loads of value in the next because that's one less hole in the roster.

So, in your warped sense, its ok to draft a guy who is as dumb as a rock just because he uses his instincts to make plays in college...

People like you don't understand VALUE and the entire concept behind it. People like you forget that BB has yet to have a Bust 1st round pick and he's had more picks be successful than failures.

In your world, if a guy has a good rookie season, and plateaus at a level of just above average, then its not a wasted pick even if the Pats need to replace him 2 years down the line...

1. SIGN PEPPERS
2. RE-SIGN BODDEN
3. TRADE UP TO DRAFT SAM BRADFORD
4. DRAFT/SIGN A SOLID WR
5. RESIGN WILFORK
6. FIRE THE COORDINATORS! (bring in someone, ANYONE with good coordinating experience)...

Yes, lets be frigging stupid and sign a 31 year old DE who is already over-paid.

As for drafting Bradford, the guy is a noodle arm and isn't that great a QB. Gutsy? Yes. But that's about it.

Yes, lets be frigging stupid and sign a 31 year old DE who is already over-paid.

As for drafting Bradford, the guy is a noodle arm and isn't that great a QB. Gutsy? Yes. But that's about it.

I agree with most of what you've said today. But you've got it precisely backwards on Bradford. His arm is fine. The problem is he's never once had a meaningful come-from-behind drive in a big game. He's not gutsy at all.

Belichick has passed up a lot of players in order to get so-called value. If he took a player who can contribute in the present draft, he doesn't need loads of value in the next because that's one less hole in the roster.

Thank you. Someone who gets it!

Except neither of you get it.. That's the problem.

It doesn't matter if the player can contribute if he's not going to get better or if the guy is going to end up suspended by the league for drugs or for doing dumb things like throwing 80 Grand into the air at a strip club or is hanging out with gangs or anything like that..

All you wannabe GMs clearly have no management experience. You don't hire a person who is going to be a detriment to the organization.

Now, that being said, last I looked, BB was still a human being. He makes mistakes. Not like you 20/20 Hindsignt wannabes.. You are always perfect, aren't you?

I agree with most of what you've said today. But you've got it precisely backwards on Bradford. His arm is fine. The problem is he's never once had a meaningful come-from-behind drive in a big game. He's not gutsy at all.

Gutsy = willing to play with injury..

As for his arm, I guess we've just got different scales..

You're right, this has to stop. They continue to trade out when when the players are there and delay the rebuilding process of this team. This defense has been in transition since '05 and they still can't find a combination that works in the secondary. Lastly, BB and the front office are lazy when it comes to improving the pass rush.
Hey Bro, you were right this summer and you're right now.

You and I were critical of the lack of drafting outside linebackers and the prospect of Pierre Woods starting was an obvious non-starter to some of us. Though people here haven't realized until recently that BB isn't perfect.

Tully Banta-Cain is having a nice season. But it's odd to realize he's our best passrusher.

That Burgess guy we got from Oakland is a waste. We need outside pressure desperately. And receivers to spell Welker some relief.

Hey Bro, you were right this summer and you're right now.

You and I were critical of the lack of drafting outside linebackers and the prospect of Pierre Woods starting was an obvious non-starter to some of us. Though people here haven't realized until recently that BB isn't perfect.

Tully Banta-Cain is having a nice season. But it's odd to realize he's our best passrusher.

That Burgess guy we got from Oakland is a waste. We need outside pressure desperately. And receivers to spell Welker some relief.

The Pats have 2 receivers that they added this year. They added Edelman and Tate. Unfortunately, Edelman broke his arm and Tate was recovering from a torn ACL.

As for LBers, they DID add a guy in the draft. His name is McKenzie. Unfortunately he tore his ACL in rookie camps.

Next you two knuckle heads are going to say that BB should have precognition and should have know that McKenzie would have torn his ACL in camp, that Tate would get re-injured and that Edelman would break his arm during the season.

Also, there wasn't a LB or DE who the Pats could have added that would have addressed their issues on defense, directly.

If you want to keep defending the owners go right ahead but when they use the word value it's code word for not spending money bonus money that is. Do you really think when they traded Seymour 2 days before the season started that they were concerned with winning this year? I keep hearing about the cap there hasn't been one team in cap hell in the last 4 years a matter of fact there is millions being unspent every year so it comes down to keeping your players that fit your system such as Givens, Branch, Graham, Samuels, and soon to be Wilfork and probably Mankins and STOP SQUEEZING EVERY LAST DIME OUT OF EVERY ROOKIE CONTRACT.

1. SIGN PEPPERS
2. RE-SIGN BODDEN
3. TRADE UP TO DRAFT SAM BRADFORD
4. DRAFT/SIGN A SOLID WR
5. RESIGN WILFORK
6. FIRE THE COORDINATORS! (bring in someone, ANYONE with good coordinating experience)...

About Bradford:

Why would you want Sam Bradford? We have much more dyer needs right now then QB. In fact, thats the last thing we need right now. He will be still a top 10 to 15 pick anyway even with his injury, so this is an overreaction to last night. Our draft needs are in this order.

D-Line/ OLB
OL
Corner/Safety
RB
WR
QB

Taking Bradford would be bad because we wouldn't gain anything out of this draft for years to come. Not too mention he is coming off a major shoulder injury. How would this help us at all?

Peppers is going to be 30 this upcoming offseason, and will be looking for a 5 or 6 year deal at around 11 or 12 million a year, if not more. He is older player who has never player the 3-4 set that we play. I doubt the Patriots go after Peppers, who will be drastically overpaid on the open market.

Elvis Dumbervil is a kid who I would go HARD after if he hit free agency, but he certainly will be franchised and signed long term.

Shawn Merriman is a guy I wouldn't go extremely hard either. He is a guy who is coming off a major knee injury and his production has dropped drastically this season. I think this will be a mistake to give a long term deal to him as well.

Ray Edwards is the only DE that I look at and is attracted by. I don't see any attractive options on the trade market either. If Dumbervil is on the market, you give him a big deal. He is taylor made for what this team needs.

We could also go out and sign a NT such as Casey Hampton, who would allow us to pul up the middle and get Wilfork on more 1 on 1 situations.

I agree with you on trying to sign a solid WR. There are options out there I like such as Chris Herny and Lance Moore, who would be a very good option as a 3rd option for us.

I agree with you Bodden. I think he has been solid, but I wouldn't sign him for "big money like he will most likely be looking for. I would sign him for a 4 year 20 million dollar deal. Which is unlikely due to the fact that he won't sign a long term deal this offseason.

Resigning Wilfork is a must. He is one of the best down lineman in the league and one of, if not the best defensive player that the Patriots right now. He will be looking for big money. Franchise him, and hope to sign him long term before training camp.

If you want to keep defending the owners go right ahead but when they use the word value it's code word for not spending money bonus money that is. Do you really think when they traded Seymour 2 days before the season started that they were concerned with winning this year? I keep hearing about the cap there hasn't been one team in cap hell in the last 4 years a matter of fact there is millions being unspent every year so it comes down to keeping your players that fit your system such as Givens, Branch, Graham, Samuels, and soon to be Wilfork and probably Mankins and STOP SQUEEZING EVERY LAST DIME OUT OF EVERY ROOKIE CONTRACT.

You don't know wtf you are talking about... First, Kraft doesn't get involved in the negotiations so to say I am "defending the owner" shows you are talking out your butt..

They traded Seymour more than "2 days before the season started." And it was Belichick who traded Seymour, NOT KRAFT.

The Patriots have spent close to the cap every year. Including this one. But what you fail to understand and take into consideration is that to extend players THIS YEAR, the Pats needed the money they freed up by trading Vrabel in the Spring and then Seymour before the start of the season.

Also, I don't know what league you've been following, but the NFL has had teams in "cap hell" the past 4 years. Those teams have gotten out of it by cutting veterans, taking loads of dead money hits and then signing veterans and players on the cheap. The Redskins, Jets, and Raiders are just 3 teams that come to mind.

Givens - Went elsewhere for the money and is now out of the NFL

Branch - Hasn't done squat in Seattle. Has been injured almost as much as he's played. He screwed the Pats over. Not the other way around

Graham - Didn't want to stay in New England. He wanted to go to Colorado where his dad played and where he played college ball.

Samuel - First, there is no S at the end of Asante's last name. Second, the Pats tried to give Samuel a worthy contract, but he wanted more. You set a price and you stick to it. If you pay more, the money has to come from somewhere..

You see to be thoroughly misinformed on everything. I would suggest you go back to threads from 2006 and start reading from there so you can get up to speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back