Welcome to PatsFans.com

I have a dilemma!

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by KDPPatsfan85, Jun 22, 2012.

1. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +130 / 3 / -10

#51 Jersey

My grandfather just passed away today. My family decided to schedule the funeral for Wednesday and I have jury duty on Wednesday. How can I get out of jury duty?
  2. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +763 / 21 / -26

Sorry for your loss. It should be a valid reason to be excused from Jury Duty. Call them Monday morning.
  3. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +130 / 3 / -10

#51 Jersey

I will do that. I should see if i can at least reschedule if anything.
  4. brdmaverick

brdmaverick Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

#32 Jersey

You're always allowed to post pone once. I think it's the second time that catches much more scrutiny.
  5. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +130 / 3 / -10

#51 Jersey

I have already rescheduled because I had finals in may. Now I have to reschedule again, but this is a legitimate reason for not going.
  6. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +763 / 21 / -26

You are fine, they will let you out. Even if you didn't show, they give you many chances to mess up and many warnings before there are any consequences.
  7. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,701 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

Gitmo is not that bad...in the fall
  8. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,659 / 70 / -75

Disable Jersey

There is a lovely smell of napalm in the morning....
  9. woolster22

woolster22 Rookie

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -1

Missing without notice will land you in trouble. Know someone who got arrested in CT for a felony bench warrant in ma...for missing jury duty...give them a heads up and you should be fine, especially given the circumstances.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
  10. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +160 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

That is NOT true. I didn't show up or call for the April Fools Day Blizzard back in the 90's and they gave my name to the Feds and I ended up on Federal Grand Jury Duty for 18 months! There was 24 inches of snow on the ground so I just blew it off figuring they would reschedule me. Two weeks later I got my federal listing and never got another word from the state. The worst part is I always got out of state duty back then because I did computer and electronic security work in police stations all over the state. For the state I always got dismissed for that. The feds don't care. So every Thursday for a year I had to go to the court house to hear indictments on cases. Finally my company got sick of paying me for going so I claimed hardship and they let me out after a year.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather but do call and as long as you provide proof they will reschedule you.
  11. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing. Please accept my condolences.

As far as jury duty, I'd do what most others have suggested and call on Monday morning. Do not blow it off.
  12. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +763 / 21 / -26

Wow, that was an awful consequence. (Although it could have been coincidence)
    I guess it may vary based on jurisdiction. In my experience, and directly in the words of the court officer, they do not care about getting you in trouble, they just want you to serve.
    A few years back, I postponed a few times because I was running a business that I just couldn't risk being away from. After a while they wouldn't accept that anymore, and they sent me another notice. I had a real legit family issue that conflicted and I called. They told me I postponed too many times and they didn't care. I told them I wouldn't be there anyway.
    My exwife misplaced the next notice, so I was actually a no show, no call. A couple of months later I got a notice with a warning about consequences and penalties, called, told them I would show up, and they said that is all they want, and they have no interest in penalizing anyone.

Of course given our 2 stories the right answer is treat it like yours is more likely.
  13. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +160 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

It could have been but what are the odds? I tried to get the court cleck at the federal court to admit it was because of missing the state court appointment and she just smiled. This was in Norfolk County in Dedham.

You really lucked out.
  14. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -1

So sorry for your loss. Just call the clerk of the Court where you are scheduled to appear and they will probably either move you to the next jury pool or excuse you all together.