PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I have a 2001 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtunstal

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
What seed was the pats in 2001. I would appreciate the help thanks

Second. We had a first round bye, played OAK in the divisional round, then went to Pitt for the AFC Championship.
edit- Also an 11-5 record if you were wondering.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, a bunch of different things all happened on the last day of the regular season to give the patriots the bye, the most important of which was the Jets getting into position to kick a 53 yard field goal as time expired to beat the Raiders.

If I remember correctly, a bunch of different things all happened on the last day of the regular season to give the patriots the bye, the most important of which was the Jets getting into position to kick a 53 yard field goal as time expired to beat the Raiders.

To say the least. Several games down the stretch broke the Pats' way to give them the two seed. The Jets losing during the Pats' bye week to Buffalo at home, Seattle losing to give the Pats a playoff berth, Pats beating Carolina to clinch the division, and the Jets beating Oakland to give the Pats the two seed.

Bob G

It was bizarre if I recall correctly. Next to last week, Jets had to lose to Buffalo and did in a strange manner even though they outplayed Buff. Then they had to beat the raiders, which they did as the raiders misplayed their game.

It was highly improbable, but not nearly as improbably as the Pats earlier gaem with Buff when Patten was knocked unconscious and dropped the ball. A Buff defender picked up the ball and ran it in but it turns out that the ball bumped Patten's leg while his head was on the out of bounds line. Pats went on to win.

The whole 2001 season was full of stuff like this. The NFL gave us a bye on week 17! But 9-11 resulted in week two of the season being put at the end after week 17, so we got a week of rest, a scrimmage against a 1-15 carolina team, then more rest, then the Snow bowl.

We won the superbowl after scoring 3 offensive TDs in three games.

What a magical freakin' year.

A bye at 11-5? Ya don't say? Is that like jumbo shrimp?

The whole 2001 season was full of stuff like this.

I had forgotten about the ball magically being out of bounds against Buffalo. But I wouldn't say the whole 2001 season was like this. I remember thinking when the hold got called on Willie and Tebucky's touchdown came back that the spell had been broken. That the whole magical destiny-driven thing seemed to be over. And, in retrospect, I think it was. We actually didn't play particularly well or lucky after that, except maybe when Redmond just barely touched the ball out of bounds on the last drive.

The thing was that the magic had lasted just long enough, and 3 points v. the Rams 14 was just enough. What a year.

Excellent post and thanks for the video. One of the most memorable games in NFL playoff history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes