PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I *hated* last years draft......

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all you people saying Carter and Anderson had 10 sacks each.........

True. But they are only on 1 year contracts. There is no guarantee that they come back next year.

If we drafted JabaalSheard/BrooksReed we could have had him for 4 years for DIRT CHEAP and added him to the core of our defense.

Last edited:
Because of the lockout and the near certainty of a compressed training camp, Belichick drafted for depth across the board. Getting rookies up to speed without the offseason program was going to be a challenge. Belichick took care of the future of the offense via the draft and went after FA vet starters on D because of immediate need. One could argue that Dowling was the only need pick. I have to believe BB knew Light would be back Solder was another depth choice for '11.
Belichick had a 14-2 team and wasn't going to rely on rookies to get his team over the hump. As the team stands now, the foundation for the offense is set for several years. Now it is time to retool the D. If you read War Room, you would have understood that these BB team builder types retool in groups. Two RBs last year, two TEs, in '10, two DBs in Wilhite and Wheatley. It seems pretty clear that Belichick will attack two positional groups this year....secondary, maybe WR or DL

Jeez, the Pats put together a team that was one minute away from winning the Super Bowl and the same people have spent the last 24-32 hours trashing Belichick and this team.

The fact of the matter is Belichick did put together a Super Bowl team. Whether it is with the draft or free agency or just tape and staples; this team was talented enough to go with the Giants (who is supposably far more talented) down to the wire and went farther than teams people wish that the Pats drafted like.

BTW, Ryan Kerrigan fell off the map about halfway through the season this year. After getting 6 sacks in his first 10 games, he had 1.5 sacks in his final six. I don't know if the Pats were wrong not to trade up to draft him. Teams may have figured out how to defend him.

I had a bad feeling about it at the time, and 1 season later I still have a bad feeling about it.

1a) Nate Solder - good pick. It would've looked silly if Light and Vollmer were healthy all year, but I guess BB knew something about Vollmer's health that we didnt.

1b) Traded to New Orleans. WHY? We sure could've used a big 34DE/43DT like Cameran Heyward or Muhammad Wilkerson that were available in this spot. 1 year later and a 34 DE like the two mentioned above is still a big need for the future. With Mike Wright, Shaun Ellis, G.Warren all likely to retire... it would be more comforting going into next year with a DE that has a year of experience rather than looking for another rookie in this years draft. This year by the way is lacking in 34 DEs. This is the 2nd year which we've started playoff games with Love and Deaderick. Yes both of them are serviceable, but both could also be upgraded. Wilfork was doubled in the SB, and nobody else on our DLine could make a play. BB traded this pick into the future, when we needed it for this past season.

2a) Glass-I Dowling - the next Terrence Wheatley. Horrible pick IMO, he will never stay healthy. The knock on Dowling was his injury history... SURPRISE SURPRISE.... He plays one game and then he's IR'd for the year due to injury. Jabal Sheard and Brooks Reed were taken soon after this spot. We sure could've used their help rushing the passer this year and for the future.

Our pass rush would be looking good for the next few years if we had picked a DE and OLB in the two spots above.

2b and 3b) Shane Vereen and Steven Ridley - One didnts see the field at all, and the other barely played. You'd think after drafting 2 RB's this high that we would've atleast run the ball more this year. I thought we picked these guys to save Bradys arm, but he still ended up throwing 40+ times in games we were winning by a wide margin. Seems like a couple of wasted picks when we already have BJGE and Woodhead.

Yes I like Ridleys explosiveness and Vereen could be Faulks eventual replacement, but RB's are a dime a dozen and it wasn't a pressing need with BJGE and Woodhead already on the roster. If BB didn't see either of them contributing much this year, he couldve waited to draft RBs.

3a) Ryan Mallet - didnt see the field at all. Looks like the 3rd string QB at this point as Hoyer is supposedly decent. I wasnt a Mallet fan in College and thought his attitude was very Jay Cutler-ish. Might not get a snap for another 4 years if Brady can stay healthy.

OVERALL: That's 6 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft. Only 1 of those 6 had major contributions to our team this year.

Furthermore, if BB knew there was a good chance he was going to cut Meriweather and James Sanders, he should have looked at a Safety in this draft.

Wow, patience grasshopper.

Ridley looked really good, and Vereen was hurt all year. You may eventually be right about Dowling but how do you make that assessment on a handful of games? It's hard enough hitting in the NFL on mid-round tackles especially when there are so many busts at that position at the top of the draft. When you hit on a LT, that alone makes the draft a success.

While I agree with you on #1B that the team needs a guy up there, I have huge doubts about Heyward still. He showed well early in the season but then lost his job and played half-heartedly and inconsistently. That was his exact MO at OSU. As for Wilkerson, I think he stinks. The Patriots abused him in their games, and I saw him constantly pushed back in other Jets games as teams ran all over him. I'm not sure who I prefer: Wilkerson or Ron Brace.

I still think DE is a big position of need though, just after safety.

I had a bad feeling about it at the time, and 1 season later I still have a bad feeling about it.

People like yourself love to use hindsight to b!tch and moan about Belichick and the draft. You totally ignore much of the reasoning behind why the Pats did certain things.

1a) Nate Solder - good pick. It would've looked silly if Light and Vollmer were healthy all year, but I guess BB knew something about Vollmer's health that we didnt.

No. They wouldn't have looked silly. You seem to forget that, going into the draft, they didn't have a LT. Light was unsigned and was adamant about testing free agency. Not only that, but Solder was clearly the best OT available and he wouldn't have been there at 24 as there were at least 3 other teams looking to draft him..

1b) Traded to New Orleans. WHY? We sure could've used a big 34DE/43DT like Cameran Heyward or Muhammad Wilkerson that were available in this spot. 1 year later and a 34 DE like the two mentioned above is still a big need for the future. With Mike Wright, Shaun Ellis, G.Warren all likely to retire... it would be more comforting going into next year with a DE that has a year of experience rather than looking for another rookie in this years draft. This year by the way is lacking in 34 DEs. This is the 2nd year which we've started playoff games with Love and Deaderick. Yes both of them are serviceable, but both could also be upgraded. Wilfork was doubled in the SB, and nobody else on our DLine could make a play. BB traded this pick into the future, when we needed it for this past season.

Your assessment of the draft is wanting. There are several 3-4 DEs in the draft. Love and Deaderick are more than serviceable.

As for Heyward or Wilkerson, did you ever stop to think that there was a reason why the Pats didn't draft them? There are plenty of things that we, as fans, don't know about from the draft process. Like how they did in the interviews, film study, etc.

2a) Glass-I Dowling - the next Terrence Wheatley. Horrible pick IMO, he will never stay healthy. The knock on Dowling was his injury history... SURPRISE SURPRISE.... He plays one game and then he's IR'd for the year due to injury. Jabal Sheard and Brooks Reed were taken soon after this spot. We sure could've used their help rushing the passer this year and for the future.

Our pass rush would be looking good for the next few years if we had picked a DE and OLB in the two spots above.

More nonsense. Dowling's injury history was way over-blown. It was shown that he only missed like 3 games his 4 year career in college.

The Pats had a good pass rush all year, contrary to people like yourself. Maybe if you stopped listening to the mediots and actually used your eyes, you'd know that.

As for the Pass rush looking good, again, you don't know that. You don't know how Sheard or Reed would have been in the Pats system.

2b and 3b) Shane Vereen and Steven Ridley - One didnts see the field at all, and the other barely played. You'd think after drafting 2 RB's this high that we would've atleast run the ball more this year. I thought we picked these guys to save Bradys arm, but he still ended up throwing 40+ times in games we were winning by a wide margin. Seems like a couple of wasted picks when we already have BJGE and Woodhead.

Yes I like Ridleys explosiveness and Vereen could be Faulks eventual replacement, but RB's are a dime a dozen and it wasn't a pressing need with BJGE and Woodhead already on the roster. If BB didn't see either of them contributing much this year, he couldve waited to draft RBs.

More revisionist history on your part. Going into the draft, only Woodhead had a contract. BJGE was up in the air because of no CBA. There was talk of players getting UFA status after only 2 full years. Which would have made BJGE a UFA instead of an RFA. Also, Both Vereen and Ridley saw the field this year. Unfortunately, Vereen was injured during pre-season and wasn't healthy until mid-season and then got injured after 2 games. Ridley also fought an injury this year. As for him barely seeing the field, when you have a 3 headed monster at RB, a rookie getting 7 carries a game is actually pretty decent. Not to mention that there is a good chance that BJGE walks in free agency.

As for your BS about Brady throwing more than 40 times even though they were winning by a wide margin, I have news for you. That happened ONCE. In the first game of the season. Brady had more than 40 attempts just 6 times during the regular season and once during the play-offs. Yet you are acting like Brady was throwing 40 times a game every game and that just isn't the case.

3a) Ryan Mallet - didnt see the field at all. Looks like the 3rd string QB at this point as Hoyer is supposedly decent. I wasnt a Mallet fan in College and thought his attitude was very Jay Cutler-ish. Might not get a snap for another 4 years if Brady can stay healthy.

He's the 3rd string QB. Something that recent history proved the team needed to have. He also has 1st round talent. You're claim that Mallett has a Culter-ish attitude is BS. Again, you overlook the fact that Hoyer is an RFA this year and is likely to be either re-signed to just a one year deal or traded.

OVERALL: That's 6 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft. Only 1 of those 6 had major contributions to our team this year.

Furthermore, if BB knew there was a good chance he was going to cut Meriweather and James Sanders, he should have looked at a Safety in this draft.

Overall, your assessment is built on hindsight and ignorance. Not to mention that you completely ignored the off-season issues with the CBA and how that changed a lot of decision making.

I'd be willing to put money on the idea that BB didn't know he was going to cut Sanders and Meriweather before the draft, not to mention that the draft was pretty weak for Safety, as it is this year.

Barwin instead of brace
Reed instead of dowling

We are looking at another trophy

LOL at apologist Sciz

The draft is not abou the guys you missed on, it's about the guys you picked.

Anyone can go back and look at drafts and substitute players that busted with stars. It's easy.

But then you have to look at who the Patriots's assets were the last two years:

Solder
Cannon
Vereen
Ridley
Hernandez
Gronkowski
Dowling
McCourty
Spikes
Deadrick
Love

Add the veteran free agents:

Waters
Anderson
Carter

And the UDFAs:

Arrington
Moore

And only then can you measure the talent New England brought in against the talent that other teams brought in.

I stand by that. Ingram would've eliminated the need to use a 2nd and 3rd on RBs.

False. The Pats only had 1 RB signed. They typically carry 5. How would adding one have eliminated the need for taking 2 RBs in the draft?

I also posted this:
package 17 with some late round picks to move up to

#15 Ryan Kerrigan

#28 Muhammad Wilkerson / Cameron Heyward

#33 Ryan Williams

There is a huge problem with your trade proposal. The Redskins weren't trading down. They wanted Kerrigan and were actually prepared to move up if they thought he wasn't going to be there. So, that kinda blows your whole scenario out of the water.

Ryan Williams? You mean the guy who was injured all year? If the Pats had taken him and he'd gotten injured, you'd be complaining about that..

and by the way, Ryan Kerrigan has turned out to be very good in Washington. Wilkerson and Heyward both look promising and will most likely play better in their 2nd years than any late-1st round rookie will this year.

BTW, The Redskins wanted Kerrigan and weren't willing to trade down. Yet, you think a couple of late round picks would have gotten them to trade down to 17...

Heyward was so good that he had all of 11 tackles all year and couldn't force the Steelers to put him in a rotation with Aaron Smith or Brad Keisel...

Last edited:
Kerrigan was a rookie.
Teams also don't throw against Washington as much as they throw against New England, so Kerrigan couldnt pin his ears back and simply rush the passer like Carter and Anderson did.

You are correct. Teams didn't throw as much against the Skins as they did against the Patriots. The reason? Because the skins were playing from behind more than the Patriots were. So teams ran more. Funny how that works.

How come you say that about Wilkerson and Heyward, but don't give that chance to Dowling, Ridley, or Vereen?

If he were to do that, then there would be no point to his thread.

For all you people saying Carter and Anderson had 10 sacks each.........

True. But they are only on 1 year contracts. There is no guarantee that they come back next year.

If we drafted JabaalSheard/BrooksReed we could have had him for 4 years for DIRT CHEAP and added him to the core of our defense.

OLB is to big of a hit or miss in this system to Draft one 2th round or higher just look at Jermaine Cunningham he will be cut in 2012, the pats do better with cast off FA at OLB Sheard and Reed may have been good in this system but IMO they would have been inactive for most of the season and we would still be talking about how the pats cant Draft a pass rusher

The redskins drafted helu in the 4th and got a better back than ridley. The niners drafted hunter in the 4th and got a better back than Ridley.

I don't mind the 28 trade, but these dels ate not yielding additional talent......

How do you know they are not yielding additional talent? The Pats haven't drafted this year.

Hunter was not better than Ridley.

Helu's stats are only better than Ridley's because Helu ended up starting more games and got more carries over-all. However, Ridley had more yards per carry.

Barwin instead of brace
Reed instead of dowling

We are looking at another trophy

LOL at apologist Sciz

LOL. Reed vs Dowling.
Reed is a pure speed rusher who can't defend vs the run or cover.

More revisionist history on your part. Going into the draft, only Woodhead had a contract. BJGE was up in the air because of no CBA. There was talk of players getting UFA status after only 2 full years. Which would have made BJGE a UFA instead of an RFA.

I think you meant "three years"; two years has always been ERFA status, and I don't recall anyone challenging that assertion.

I am expecting the same...trading a first rounder this year for one next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes