PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I guess the cap number means back to Bargain Basement guys late in FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
why would the pats cut colvin or kyle brady??

Do you guys think that what happened this season hurt the Pats overall ability to attract FA's at cheaper prices?

2005 & 2006, the Pats accomplished a lot given the talent on the field. But, this year, was seen by many as a hired gun year, and they came up just short.

I don't think they'll cut Colvin but if they do they'll save $5.5M which could get more talent in on a long term deal for another player or two. I think they'll end up extending Colvin and brining this number down that way.

Their contracts outweigh their value. Colvin is not worth what he is getting paid. He is likely to renegotiate or extend his contract, but he is scheduled to be one of the highest paid LBs in the league in 2008. Besides, we don't know what his injury is and what are the chances he will be 100% in 2008.

As for Brady, we may be able to get another TE who is younger and can do both blocking and receiving for less money. I don't know what the free agent market looks like, but Brady is up there in age (36).

Their contracts outweigh their value. Colvin is not worth what he is getting paid. He is likely to renegotiate or extend his contract, but he is scheduled to be one of the highest paid LBs in the league in 2008. Besides, we don't know what his injury is and what are the chances he will be 100% in 2008.

As for Brady, we may be able to get another TE who is younger and can do both blocking and receiving for less money. I don't know what the free agent market looks like, but Brady is up there in age (36).

So, Colvin isn't worth 5.5 Million? I guess that his being the Pats best OLB means he's over-paid. Yes, Colvin was better than Vrabel this year.

As for Kyle Brady, 3 mill is nothing for a starting TE. Look around the league.

When Colvin went down so didn't the defense productivity in pressuring the passer,it was pretty obvious. So I think he is worth the money. That being said I think he'll restructure his contract,and stay.

So, Colvin isn't worth 5.5 Million? I guess that his being the Pats best OLB means he's over-paid. Yes, Colvin was better than Vrabel this year.

As for Kyle Brady, 3 mill is nothing for a starting TE. Look around the league.

Colvin's cap is $7.6 million. That is on the high side for the NFL. I never said the Pats should cut him. In fact, I said it is likely they will end up extending him or redoing his contract. That is the most likely outcome this offseason. But if the Patriots feel that there is a decent enough chance that he may not be 100% at the start of the season and Colvin refuses to renegotiate or the Pats are able to snag one of the top LB free agents I wouldn't be shocked if Colvin was cut.

Brady is a #2 TE. $3 million is very high for a #2 TE. Ben Watson's and Dave Thomas' cap hits for 2007 combined are under $2 million. Brady's salary alone is $2 million. I don't see the Pats cutting Brady unless they need the cap space, but he could be a prime candidate especially if they feel that Thomas can step up to the #2 TE spot.

When Colvin went down so didn't the defense productivity in pressuring the passer,it was pretty obvious. So I think he is worth the money. That being said I think he'll restructure his contract,and stay.

Again, I agree that he will most likely redo his contract. I am just saying he has the potential to be cut, but the potential is fairly small. I can't think that Colvin ever really expected for his contract to stay the way it is in 2008 and will most likely extend his contract to retire a Patriot.

Lance Briggs is not coming here, stop it. He's said multiple times that he hates the 3-4, and just last week said he would not fit into a 3-4 system.

I thought the salary cap was rising this year?

1) TE is set.

2) Ditto K/P/LS.

3) So there's a little money for CB and LB. Not a lot. Plus the top draft pick or whatever it's traded for might be used at one or both of those positions.

1) I'm not so sure about that. I think the FO should keep its eyes open for younger, less-expensive, better-blocking TEs. Kyle Brady, as others (incl. Bumblin' Bennie Watson) did, came up small in the SB.

2) I strongly disagree about being set at Punter. Chris Hanson was terrible (except for his last one) throughout the SB.

3) Agreed. No fireworks from Foxborough this off-season.

I think the injury should be OK. I ran into Colvins Father at the Super Bowl and he said Rosi is already out of the boot and recovering fine.

A boot? I thought that he had suffered an upper-body injury...

1) I'm not so sure about that. I think the FO should keep its eyes open for younger, less-expensive, better-blocking TEs. Kyle Brady, as others (incl. Bumblin' Bennie Watson) did, came up small in the SB.

2) I strongly disagree about being set at Punter. Chris Hanson was terrible (except for his last one) throughout the SB.

3) Agreed. No fireworks from Foxborough this off-season.

How was Hanson terrible? The Pats only had 14 punts returned for a whopping 75 yards. That's 5.357 yards per punt. Damn near the best in the league. The Pats had the fewest punts in the league. Their gross yardage had them at 26th in the league, yet their NET put them at 10th in the league. HOW can you say that's terrible. Only Green Bay had fewer punts returned (by % - 31.6 to the Pats 31.8) than the Pats.

Colvin's cap is $7.6 million. That is on the high side for the NFL. I never said the Pats should cut him. In fact, I said it is likely they will end up extending him or redoing his contract. That is the most likely outcome this offseason. But if the Patriots feel that there is a decent enough chance that he may not be 100% at the start of the season and Colvin refuses to renegotiate or the Pats are able to snag one of the top LB free agents I wouldn't be shocked if Colvin was cut.

You confused cap with salary, then, in your initial post because you said "Colvin isn't worth what he's getting paid." He's not getting paid the bonus amortization. That 1.8 million was paid years ago.

Also, why would Colvin refuse to renegotiate? You do realize that he was the one who approached the Pats back in 2004 about changing his contract around to help them out because of his injury, right? So why would he change now?

Brady is a #2 TE. $3 million is very high for a #2 TE. Ben Watson's and Dave Thomas' cap hits for 2007 combined are under $2 million. Brady's salary alone is $2 million. I don't see the Pats cutting Brady unless they need the cap space, but he could be a prime candidate especially if they feel that Thomas can step up to the #2 TE spot.

Thomas has to prove he can stay on the field. I think that SPACH is more likely to be the one to end K. Brady's tenure with the Pats than D. Thomas.

I thought the salary cap was rising this year?

The current ESTIMATE is 116.1 Million, however, the Patriots pushed 5.8 million from 2007 into 2008. But they ALSO had quite a few NLTBE bonuses get earned and that will count against them.

What will change every teams total cap number is how much money was left at the end of the season that gets rolled over and redistributed to raise the cap. This happened last year. Miguel has talked about it. So, while the cap is estimated at 116.1, it could go up higher than that.

The Pats were at 8.35 million under the cap. With them not picking up Washington's option, they move to about 9.9 million under the cap.

This also includes a LTBE bonus of 5.3 million in Kyle Eckel's contract that will either be change to a NLTBE bonus (thus freeing up 5.3 million) or be used to carry money into next year as well.

Give Belichick 5 Jags and he'll make 1 a player .. so bring them in.

like we did in 2005 when we needed ILB's?

Redo contracts with Colvin, Brady and Bruschi.
Bruschi will be an unrestricted free agent this year. Thus, Tedy does not currently count against the New England Patriots salary cap for 2008.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots