Welcome to PatsFans.com

I guess GWB really believes he is above the law..claims authority to break 750+ laws

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, May 1, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -22

George really believes he is above the law, and this will be another article of impeachment...instead of talking about Susan Sarandon and George Clooney, this is the real stuff folks, not all that crap that distracts from the real issues presented by the right wing entertainment folks.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/04/30/bush_challenges_hundreds_of_laws/

WASHINGTON -- President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office, asserting that he has the power to set aside any statute passed by Congress when it conflicts with his interpretation of the Constitution.
    Among the laws Bush said he can ignore are military rules and regulations, affirmative-action provisions, requirements that Congress be told about immigration services problems, ''whistle-blower" protections for nuclear regulatory officials, and safeguards against political interference in federally funded research.
    Legal scholars say the scope and aggression of Bush's assertions that he can bypass laws represent a concerted effort to expand his power at the expense of Congress, upsetting the balance between the branches of government. The Constitution is clear in assigning to Congress the power to write the laws and to the president a duty ''to take care that the laws be faithfully executed." Bush, however, has repeatedly declared that he does not need to ''execute" a law he believes is unconstitutional.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +164 / 4 / -4

This is really scary. Our cowardly Congress has truly made itself ineffective and abdicated its responsibility. It's similar to Saddam's Congress. (Though, in fairness to Bush, he has only caused around 40,000 civilian deaths, while Saddam caused considerably more.)
  3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -22

You know what is even scarier all the righties PFIEL, ELOROCKS, Harry Boy and crew are all doing their circle jerk over Susan Sarandon and hollywood, but not commenting on this, guess Rush told them that is the real issue.
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

To some extent congress probably does pass laws that infringe on the executive branch. But many of the cases here are laws which the Supreme Court has previously ruled to be constitutional. And in any case, for over 200 years the courts have been the interperters of the constitution, not the executive. Generally a branch of government should not be interperting their own powers. If Bush has a problem with a law, he should sue and have it thrown out. I'd even support his right, where needed for security reasons, to ignore the law while the challenge is pending, but what Bush is doing now could lead to a constitutional crisis down the road.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Why doesn't Uncle Teddy & Pelosi have him arrested?
    :singing: :bricks: :singing:
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

In Harry Boy-land, they could do that. In America, congressmen don't have the power of arrest.
  7. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The three branches of our government were covered in 10th grade.
    Harry had already quit school by then.
    Last edited: May 1, 2006
  8. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

His brother's been doing it in Florida for eight years now, W.'s probably a bit jealous.

The arrogance of W. truly knows no bounds.
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Read slowly now egg-heads my post says "why don't they HAVE him arrested"
    I don't expect that fat drunken f-cking Kennedy to walk into the Oval Office and say "Mr President, you have the right to remain silent"

I SAID, "THEY SHOULD HAVE HIM ARRESTED, THEY SHOULD CALL THE COPS"
    :bricks: :singing: :singing: :singing:
  10. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Your explanation doesn't make what you said any more accurate. Surely you know the Attorney General, who serves at the pleasure of the President, is the law enforcement authority in America and doesn't take orders from Congress. Maybe you should be asking why the GOP let the independent counsel statute expire after the Clinton investigation?
  11. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

It's the MO of the GOP circa 2000. Do whatever you can, lie, cheat, steal, to get elected, and once you're there, we're changing the rules and eradicating the system of checks and balances to make sure we're staying in power.

A few years ago, I thought we were on the track to become the next great fascist power. I'm not sure if I was right or not (time will tell), but at the least we're heading towards a good old fashioned de facto monarchy, where instead of rule being passed from father to son, it is passed from corrupt crony to corrupt crony.

This used to be such a great country.
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

It's unbelievable how all you people that made it out of grammer school take everything so serious.
    I recently asked my grandson who is in the 7th grade, he is 22, he will be 24 when he graduates from grammer school, if he gets promoted, I asked him what his thoughts were on Darwins Theory, his answer was plain and simple, he said "Darwins and ass hole"
  13. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What the hell are you talking about again?
  14. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

The Secret Service just ok'd the release of White House logs of Abramoff's visits. You know, that guy that has been convicted of corruption with politicians, the one that George Bush said he hadn't met.
  15. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Unadulterated, I'm sure.
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -22

I have complete confidence that he either:

a. edited them
    b. Left some out

I have come to expect this and then have a rebuttal when found out under the guise of national security...