PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I guess BB really does not like the LB's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
He never seems to be in love with rookie LB"s, dont know why, we are not getting any younger...

Didn't BB say he thought this was a really strong draft for lb's? I think it's really strange he hasn't picked one. Particularly since our current crop of lb's "is getting long in experience." I know he thinks it takes some maturity to play lb in this system but if this is a strong draft class, why not take one and bring him along slowly.

Well BB is telling us a couple of things. Beisel and Claridge ( I remeber Rodney commenting that Claridge would be a big time player next year) are coming along well in his view and are ready to contribute next year. Vrabel is moving back outside.

Vrabel, Colvin, TBC rotation outside. TBru, Belsel, Claridge inside.

Drink the Kool Aid it tastes great.

It's possible they have so many LB prospects still on their board that they don't feel the need to take one yet. (Or you could be right and he really didn't like the LB's in this class.)

Just 'cause I'm wondering doesn't mean I haven't drunk the kool aid.

Completely speculating but I kind of think the brain trust thinks it's very difficult for a rookie to learn the system and contribute in the first year, hence you don't spend a relatively high pick on the LB position. At the OLB positon they seem to want converted DEs, and drafting there is a complete crap shoot cause you haven't seen college kids play that position. I suspect there'll be a FA signing or two in June.

Apparently bb didn't really believe that this was a stong draft for linebackers that fit into our system.

We have youngsters: Claridge, Alexander and Banta-Cain. Maybe bb has more faith in them, and in Beisel, than we do. And I expect that we'll add a veteran jag at some point.

Hoodie said:
Didn't BB say he thought this was a really strong draft for lb's? I think it's really strange he hasn't picked one. Particularly since our current crop of lb's "is getting long in experience." I know he thinks it takes some maturity to play lb in this system but if this is a strong draft class, why not take one and bring him along slowly.

It remains good DE/OLB prospects out there:
Mark Anderson, Alabama
Ray Edwards, Purdue
Stanley McClover, Auburn
Parys Haralson, Tennessee
Jeremy Mincey, Florida
etc

maybe they figure they can grab a guy with just average talent and decent potential and turn him into a good starting LB with training and learning from hte veteran guys. We do have a good tradition lately with LBs.

All I can say is the Patriots have 4 or 5 more

draft picks. He has this thing calculated.

LB's seem to be a dime a dozen after the Ohio St 1st rounders.

We do need help at a lot of positions.

I don't know about taking a kicker in round 4, though.

He may be looking through FA for secondary and LB help.

I'll tell you, though, everybody would be screaming bloody murder if we did not have those 3 SB victories in our pocket.

I'll tell you, though, everybody would be screaming bloody murder if we did not have those 3 SB victories in our pocket.

He wouldn't be here if we hadn't.

You and all the rest of the what if clowns all have one thing in common....for some reason you ALL THINK YOU KNOW WAY MORE AND ARE FAR BETTER AT EVALAUTING THE PATRIOTS NEEDS THAN PROVEN PROFESSIONALS.

QuinielaBox said:
draft picks. He has this thing calculated.

LB's seem to be a dime a dozen after the Ohio St 1st rounders.

We do need help at a lot of positions.

I don't know about taking a kicker in round 4, though.

We do not "need." The prospects "need." The free agents "need." We evaluate (once again.)

Value - as pegged by the Pats brain trust. Look through the last five puzzling drafts. Same principal applies.

You know how we don't "need" linemen right now? That's because we got some of the best in the game when - surprise, surprise - we didn't need them when they were available.

By the way, we're getting closer and closer to "shot in the dark" territory, guys. If you think any pick from here on in is to fill a roster "need" we'll have come September, you're badly mistaken.

Enjoy the last rounds, scratch your heads, and wait three or four years, when you can really take a stab at knowing how we did. My gut says Maroney is more Marshall Faulk than Kijana Carter, and Jackson is more Terrell Owens than Hart Lee Dykes. Obviously the truth is in the middle. Probably, say, a Domanick Davis and a Hines Ward.

We won't know for a few years, so cool your (no pun intended) jets.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
... My gut says Maroney is more Marshall Faulk than Kijana Carter, and Jackson is more Terrell Owens than Hart Lee Dykes. Obviously the truth is in the middle. Probably, say, a Domanick Davis and a Hines Ward.

Works for me.

I don't know why everyone is so surprised. Looking at our roster BB never seems to use high draft picks on LBs

How many 1st round LBs do we have on the team?

2nd?

Any third rounders drafted by BB?

But do still we generally find good LBs? I'd say yes.

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised because BB said it was a good draft for lb. And because I never want to see Monty Beisel in a Pats uniform again.

But BB "lies" as Carfarto and Bogus are wont to tell us.

SkiHound said:
Completely speculating but I kind of think the brain trust thinks it's very difficult for a rookie to learn the system and contribute in the first year, hence you don't spend a relatively high pick on the LB position. At the OLB positon they seem to want converted DEs, and drafting there is a complete crap shoot cause you haven't seen college kids play that position. I suspect there'll be a FA signing or two in June.
That's pretty close. BB does not like to have rookies at positions where a lot of onfield decision making is involved, and particularly positions where onfield leadership is involved. It's documented in "Management Secrets of the New England Patriots".

For example, D-lineman pretty much do the same thing on every play, whereas backers have to read the play and react. Hence you see BB draft a lot of d-lineman but very few linebackers, and those which he does draft (TBC, Claridge) play special teams for the first 2 or so years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes