PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I give the Pats' draft an A minus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I think we had an absolute haul on offense. Barring injuries, the offense should be very explosive next season.

The only reason I didn't give the Pats an "A" is I'd like to have gotten some high-round corner/linebacker help.

In time, Maroney should be great.

Regarding Chad Jackson, I read that he was in a short passing, ball-control offense in his final season in college, so that explains his 88 catches and a lower yards-per-reception average. The previous season, their offense "let it fly" more often, and his average was 22.3 yards per catch. So, he can play both styles.

I read that Thomas and Mills can play H-back and long snapper. Mills won't be a tight end, but he'll catch everything in sight - as will Thomas. I hope this means no more Seymour on offense (where he got hurt at least once). How often do the Pats put 3 tight ends on the field at the same time?

I really like Gostkowski's leg strength. If he wins the job, we probably can expect some strong kickoffs, which would be an improvement in field position over Adam. Gostkowski was pretty accurate in his final college season, too (field goals: 22 of 25 overall and a perfect 10 of 10 over 40 yards; extra points: a perfect 35 of 35).

O'Callaghan is a monster. I read that one publication projected him to left tackle! I'll be satisfied if he gives us solid backup work at right tackle. Maybe he'll be our "road grader" starting right tackle some day.

According to USA Today Sports Weekly, Mincey was considered a marginal prospect at defensive end. However, according to them, he was switched to outside linebacker for the Hula Bowl, got 3 sacks and was named defensive MVP.

Maybe LeKevin Smith can back up Vince.

One thing I notice with this draft... lots of 'good hands'. Jackson, Mills, Thomas, even Moroney. I like the projects too (O'Callaghan, Mincey); they seem less 'raw' than in the past (Sam, BJ, Cobbs).

oldrover said:
One thing I notice with this draft... lots of 'good hands'. Jackson, Mills, Thomas, even Moroney. I like the projects too (O'Callaghan, Mincey); they seem less 'raw' than in the past (Sam, BJ, Cobbs).
Is O'Call a project?? I know he had injuries...but a project?? nah..maybe Mincey uin the move to OLB...I think the real projects are among the UDFAs...and I really think some of them could surprise...

Last edited:
Nice summary Joe!

I agree 100%

Joe from Oklahoma said:
I think we had an absolute haul on offense. Barring injuries, the offense should be very explosive next season.

The only reason I didn't give the Pats an "A" is I'd like to have gotten some high-round corner/linebacker help.

In time, Maroney should be great.

Regarding Chad Jackson, I read that he was in a short passing, ball-control offense in his final season in college, so that explains his 88 catches and a lower yards-per-reception average. The previous season, their offense "let it fly" more often, and his average was 22.3 yards per catch. So, he can play both styles.

I read that Thomas and Mills can play H-back and long snapper. Mills won't be a tight end, but he'll catch everything in sight - as will Thomas. I hope this means no more Seymour on offense (where he got hurt at least once). How often do the Pats put 3 tight ends on the field at the same time?

I really like Gostkowski's leg strength. If he wins the job, we probably can expect some strong kickoffs, which would be an improvement in field position over Adam. Gostkowski was pretty accurate in his final college season, too (field goals: 22 of 25 overall and a perfect 10 of 10 over 40 yards; extra points: a perfect 35 of 35).

O'Callaghan is a monster. I read that one publication projected him to left tackle! I'll be satisfied if he gives us solid backup work at right tackle. Maybe he'll be our "road grader" starting right tackle some day.

According to USA Today Sports Weekly, Mincey was considered a marginal prospect at defensive end. However, according to them, he was switched to outside linebacker for the Hula Bowl, got 3 sacks and was named defensive MVP.

Maybe LeKevin Smith can back up Vince.

Nice post, Joe. Welcome from another Okie.
Woodward H.S. Class of '61
Nortwestern State (Alva) '66

Pats726 said:
Is O'Call a project??

he needs to be broken like a horse...Scar is the man for the job. Then he needs to be force-fed technique -- with all the power he had, leverage wasn't a big deal for him in college.

I'm hoping he becomes an impregnable force on the right side -- quickly...given some hardcore discipline he might turn into one of the best values of the entire draft.

Last edited:
oldrover said:

I noticed the great hands thing too. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back