PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I give the Jets a D for their draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
AllabouttheVinces said:
a bunch of people pointed out that my opinion is based really on my evaluation of Leinart. If he's a bust, then the Jets deserve high marks. .
You miss the point. The Jets didn't bypass Leinart because they thought he wasn't any good. It was because they decided they had bigger needs than QB.

It isn't whether the Jets scouted Leinart right or wrong. It's whether their decision to stay with Noodle Arm and Ramsey, and draft a developmental QB later on day one was good or not. And that depends on whether NOODLE ARM (and to a lesser extent, Ramsey) is any good, not Leinart. Their high marks or low marks are for Noodle Arm, not Leinart.

Right or wrong, they feel they are set at QB, just as we feel that way about our QBs. Would you feel the Pats made a mistake if we drafted #4 and we didn't draft a QB that high?

Maybe a "D" for flashiness, but I gave them a "B" or so. They did fill some huge holes, although I think passing on Leinart will haunt them.

spacecrime said:
Right or wrong, they feel they are set at QB, just as we feel that way about our QBs. Would you feel the Pats made a mistake if we drafted #4 and we didn't draft a QB that high?
That's a ridiculous comparison, they Patriots have a healthy 27 year old with 3 Super Bowl rings on the fast track to Canton. The Jets have a QB who has had two shoulder surgeries since his last healthy season and an ex first rounder who has been such a failure that the best they could get for him is a 6th round pick.

If the Patriots had Ramsey and Penny, I would absolutely have wanted a QB. It's worth the risk as a great QB is worth 10 times what a great player at any other position is worth. Ask Belichick about that. And thanks, Mo Lewis.

patchick said:
Huh, you're right. Somehow I was sure that leading up to the draft I kept reading that Clemens was rising fast because he was the best, most accurate pure passer (not arm, maybe) in the nation. But now I have no clue where I saw it. Can anybody confirm whether I was hallucinating?

Aye. You've been eating the brown acid.

If you really give the Jets a D, you're just a homer. D'Brick is a dominator and Mangold is a great leader. Leon Washington is a good late round pick, but like many, I don't see Clemens being much of anything. I'll give them a C, maybe a B.

drewdagreat said:
D'Brick is a dominator.
No he isn't. He's a good, quick LT but he's not dominating by any stretch. Yes, his strength, pass protection, is by far the most important part of his position but this is not the next Ogden or Pace by any stretch of the imagination.

Many here disagree with the conclusions of jets management to go with Pennington and Ramsey, and in addition draft an intriguing QB in the 2nd round.

This is not a way to judge a draft. If it, it would be reasonable to jusdge the patriot draft a solid "D", if one believes that our greatest need was at ILB and OLB. After all, we could have drafted Lawson, or traded up for Greenway (or someone similar). Do we deserve a "D"?

With regard to the jets, I would give them a solid B, perhaps even a B+ . It woud be an "A" except that they seemed to reach for some players. But they got who they wanted. If they didn't reach, they would have needed to trade down and hope.

IMHO, the greatest needs for the jets were exactly what was addressed in order: LT, C, backup QB, ILB and backup DB. Brick and Mangold were great picks. Recall that many here badly wanted Schlegel, a solid 3-4 ILB prospect. Some had him penciled in as a starter. Washington was a bonus.

BelichickFan said:
That's a ridiculous comparison, they Patriots have a healthy 27 year old with 3 Super Bowl rings on the fast track to Canton. The Jets have a QB who has had two shoulder surgeries since his last healthy season and an ex first rounder who has been such a failure that the best they could get for him is a 6th round pick.

If the Patriots had Ramsey and Penny, I would absolutely have wanted a QB. It's worth the risk as a great QB is worth 10 times what a great player at any other position is worth. Ask Belichick about that. And thanks, Mo Lewis.
I'm not comparing QBs. There is absolutlely no comparison in my mind.

I'm saying that we are comfortable with our QB, and would not draft another, and that the Jets are comfortable with their QB and would not draft another.

Whether you think they SHOULD be comfortable with Noodle Arm is up to you. But there are many teams that are okay with QBs that would have up pushing the panic button.

In whom's opinion was he "a fast riser", or "a late riser". Was it the same experts that had C Jackson & W Justice going in the top 15? M Jean-Giles, Winston, Bing all going in the 1st round this past month? Perhaps, since Clemens missed the last 4.5 games he fell off of these pundits radar for the past few months, until at the combine he was once again able to show his skill set. We have talked in the aftermath of the draft, that the Patriots spend approx. $4 million a year on scouting potential players. I would assume that the Jets would spend close to the same (albeit w/ lesser success the past few years). Who is to say that they haven't been following his career for the past two years like we said we did w/ Maroney? I can't evaluate Clemens as I haven't seen enough to judge (not that I would be qualified anyway), but I will certainly give the "Tangini" team the benefit of the doubt until they have proven that they don't deserve it.
That being said, I like their selections in the 1st rd.. I love their trade down w/ Washington to pick up a 2 next year. I would give their draft a solid "B", more because of the loss of Abraham, then for any specific selection.

On ESPN Saturday, Jaws analyzed Clemens college QB play on tape and thought he was a terrific selection. Jaworski and M. Hodge both liked Clemen's arm strength and accuracy and thought he would be perfect for the windy Giants stadium (over Leinart), and they both would not be surprised if Clemens turned out to be star QB within a few years.

D'Brick

BelichickFan said:
No he isn't. He's a good, quick LT but he's not dominating by any stretch. Yes, his strength, pass protection, is by far the most important part of his position but this is not the next Ogden or Pace by any stretch of the imagination.

Have to agree. Lawson ate him up in the NC State game.

Miguel said:
Good article. Only thng I found odd:

Amazingly, there have only been 10 guards taken in the first round of the draft since 1996, about one per year, two of whom have been switched to center and one to tackle.

One reason that there are fewer guards taken early is that many college OTs become guards in the NFL. I had thought Matt Light would play OG with the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back