Welcome to PatsFans.com

I found the article on Global Cooling..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Feb 23, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

Our Lithuanian expatriot has referred to his remembering an article from the 70's that referred to Global Cooling, I found it this morning, Oh Happy Day!!! Wait a minute, it was debunked.. oh rats foiled again..

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/environment/2008-02-20-global-cooling_N.htm

The supposed "global cooling" consensus among scientists in the 1970s — frequently offered by global-warming skeptics as proof that climatologists can't make up their minds — is a myth, according to a survey of the scientific literature of the era.
    The '70s was an unusually cold decade. Newsweek, Time, The New York Times and National Geographic published articles at the time speculating on the causes of the unusual cold and about the possibility of a new ice age.

But Thomas Peterson of the National Climatic Data Center surveyed dozens of peer-reviewed scientific articles from 1965 to 1979 and found that only seven supported global cooling, while 44 predicted warming. Peterson says 20 others were neutral in their assessments of climate trends.

The study reports, "There was no scientific consensus in the 1970s that the Earth was headed into an imminent ice age.

"A review of the literature suggests that, to the contrary, greenhouse warming even then dominated scientists' thinking about the most important forces shaping Earth's climate on human time scales."

2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:rofl:

:rofl:

Since you're going nowhere fast in your vain attempts in those other threads, now you venture into the mysterious world of "global warming/climate change/oh-my-God-we're-all-gonna-freaking-die-if we ever elect another Republican as president or anything else ever again"!!!!!!!!!

Too funny. Actually, too pathetic.

//

3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

But I thought you would like this as you refer to it often..

4. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Actually, I saw the other day more articles are out now saying that there is, in fact, a "global cooling" now happening. Said that the "global warming" cycle of sun-induced solar flare effect was over, and that now we should expect lower temps. Article also said that, indeed, the carbon gases are still high, but that would not affect the temps as much as previously expected. Who knows.

I'll stick to my arthritic football thumb to keep me informed of weather changes, thank you.

//

5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

Do you have a source for your "more articles oin global cooling".. I wouldn't trust an arthritic thumb to tell you about climate change..

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

Great find. I alway suspected this because the Skeptics only ever referred to that one Newsweek article. It's nice to see their arguments fall one by one, but their adoration of big corporations and Republican Party line knows no bounds, so they will continue to ignore science and make specious claims about academics being less ethical (i.e., simply want grants) than lobbyists.

7. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Hey, I hadn't even thought about that! All that federal grant money. How many of these long-haired, goateed, dope-smoking, group-sexing, "research" addicts are there, feeding at the trough of Mr. and Mrs. America, working three jobs to pay the mortgage and raise a family of kids that *they* produced, instead of being part of a "package deal" through multiple re-marriages???!! One can imagine the billions of dollars these charlatan "researchers" bilk out of the public treasury in federal grant money every year with their made up phony schemes, all in the name of "AlGore's INconvenient Truth"!

Go invent the internet again, AlGore. Only do it on YOUR OWN dime for a change. You're a multi-BILLIONAIRE, with all your daddy's inheritance.

//

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

What an un-answer.

9. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:wha:

Works for me!!!

:singing:

//

10. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  11. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

The global cooling stuff is referred to to illistruate how fickle the press/politicans are with respect to issues concerning science.

BTW the article states that MMGW doubters 'argue' that climate is cyclical. Of course climte has been very cyclical over the past 1,000,000 years there is no argument about this.

13. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well what they fail to mention is that scientists never really said we were definitely heading into another ice age. Nor do they mention that if you follow climatic cycles the Earth should actually be getting cooler right now.

Contrary to what global warming deniers would have you believe, this was actually the scientific position on the issue back in the 70s, as reported by the National Science Board:

"Judging from the record of the past interglacial ages, the present time of high temperatures should be drawing to an end ... leading into the next glacial age. However, it is possible, or even likely, than human interference has already altered the environment so much that the climatic pattern of the near future will follow a different path. . . "

14. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

On Wednesday of this week, the meteorologist said we would get 3-6 inches on Friday and the snow would begin around 4-5 in the afternoon/evening. So I planned accordingly.

On Thursday of this week, the meteorologist said we would get 6-9 inches on Friday and the snow would begin around 1-2 in the afternoon. So I planned accordingly.

I woke up Friday at 7 in the morning and it was already snowing. It didn't stop until 11 at night, so my plans were f*cked. When all was finally said and done, there were 11 inches in my driveway (according to my ruler) but I think officially they are saying 10 inches where I live.

The point is this: These mo'fo's can't even tell us what's going to happen tomorrow, but some of you people think they can tell us what's going to happen in 2060..? Gimme a break :rofl: :rofl:

15. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

[size=+6] Just as I thought:

It's all BUSH'S FAULT!!!!!

BUSH DID IT!!!

GET BUSH!!!! BAD BUSH!!!! He used to drink and do drugs!!

[/size]

//